Question about set years picked from?

Alabama Getaway

• Forum MVP

Not really. Sould know if they've done a pre-69 show but not sure. Never seen later than 91 with JM at lead. Thought I Saw a couple 94 shows with JK but honestly can't remember.

More truth than fiction with that statement...cept for the original factor...

• Forum MVP

Not really. Sould know if they've done a pre-69 show but not sure. Never seen later than 91 with JM at lead. Thought I Saw a couple 94 shows with JK but honestly can't remember.

More truth than fiction with that statement...cept for the original factor...

94 shows....hmm.....really?   Guess dso base can answer that.   Still waiting for some late 70 shows, though I have heard some original styles.   Be nice to hear a complete Jerry Show.   T, has turned me on to some very hair raising dates.  Would not be a bad thing for Eaton and JM to split songs?   Just another sun mumble of thoughts.....

• Forum MVP

And there was the Jerry Band show the current Mattson incarnation did at the Werks festival near Columbus (where so many good times have been had) a couple of years ago. That was a blessed day and night.

And let us not forget this, courtesy of special circumstances:

Show: 1343 • 01/18/2007 The Pageant, Saint Louis, MO

Setlist: 07-21-1976 Keystone, Berkeley, CA

1: Sugaree, Catfish John, That's What Love Will Make You Do, Heaven's Door, After Midnight

2: Don't Let Go, The Way You Do The Things You Do, Stir It Up, Ride Mighty High

Elective Set: Tangled Up, Love Each Other, Scarlet> Drums> Wheel> Old Dixie Down> Midnight Moonlight

Encore: Sisters and Brothers

Filler: None

• 5 weeks later...

There have been a few complete JGB shows over the years. Special circumstances led to special occasions.

I have nothing against Jerry, and i attended Jerry/Keith/Donna  shows and Jerry/Nicky Hopkins shows in the Seventies, which were oftentimes great, but, when i go to a Dead tribute show, such as DSO, the last thing in the universe i want to hear, is, besides Dylan, a whole show of Jerry music.

Sorry, it does not work.  Jerry is too slow and R&B.  Now Bobby, that's a different story.  I saw the original  Kingfish live.  Good.

• Forum MVP

Dude, you take Quality JGB when you can get it. I f'n love hearing DSO do JGB. "Rifle on my shoulder, six shooter in my hand, Lord". Come on bro, love you some JGB. Anyway, different strokes are cool for all folks. I hear ya on the Kingfish. Didn't catch them, but have a few treasures tapes I pop in on occasion.

• Forum MVP

DSO knows recreating a JGB show creates a unique vibe that may not be everyone's cup if of tea hence it's extreme infrequency.

I'm a polar opposite. The more times DSO plays Dylan and JGB tunes, the happier I am. While I did see JGB a good # of times, I never got to see Kingfish. However: if you gave me the choice to see either back in the day: JGB every time. It's freaking Jerry Garcia doin a blend of psychedelic jazz and gospel!!! Easy choice for me.

Whatever floats your boat - that's cool.

• Forum MVP

Kingfish over JGB? Jerry??? Not for me....not a chance. Sign me up for a DSO recreation of jgb 76-78, yes please!! I guess just announce beforehand so the non-jerry-band-liking people(apparently these exist??) can opt out if the desire.

some JGB tunes I love or would love to hear....

Who was John

strange man

sitting in Limbo

Russian Lullaby(more often!)

after midnight>eleanor rigby(I know not 76-78 but very cool)

Love in the Afternoon!!!

Mission in the rain

I'll take a melody

• Forum MVP

some JGB tunes I love or would love to hear....

Who was John

strange man

sitting in Limbo

Russian Lullaby(more often!)

after midnight>eleanor rigby(I know not 76-78 but very cool)

Love in the Afternoon!!!

Mission in the rain

I'll take a melody

In lieu of this, I am going to diverge from this thread and give you the JGB (and a couple Dylan tunes) that I love (or would love) to see DSO play:

Gomorrah

Simple Twist of Fate

Visions

Don't Let Go

The Night they drove ol Dixie Down

Desolation

Mission in the Rain

Harder They Come

Tangled

Rueben & Cherise

The Maker

Forever Young

Mystery Train

That's Allright Mama

The Thrill is Gone

Been All Around this world

That's What Love will make you do

Go ahead and make a show from a good cross-section of these:  I'd go if it was on the moon :)

• Forum MVP

Got that right, Tea. That there list includes several of the supreme artistic accomplishments of Western civilization. A little run with these songs in a show or two plus, say, the Band tunes from the Last Waltz and a couple of additional shows recreating Before the Flood would be paradise. Doesn't seem like something that will happen soon but maybe someday for the epic Terrapin Nation tour.

• Forum MVP

DOH!

homer-simpson.jpg

Both ommissions are indefesible - although to be clear, Gr8fulpair is a sumbitch.  My punsihment:  Listen to JGB (my birthday show) from 11.23.91:

Set I
Cats Under The Stars
They Love Each Other
Lay Down Sally
The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down
Reuben And Cherise
Money Honey
My Sisters And Brothers
Deal

Set II
Bright Side Of The Road
Waiting For A Miracle
Think
Shining Star
Ain't No Bread In The Breadbox
That Lucky Old Sun
Tangled Up In Blue

Mango > What version of Russian Lullaby should I listen to?

Archived