Penn's Peak

Dancin' Fool

We're finally gonna hit the Peak! I'm pretty excited. I do have a few concerns though regarding traveling on the Wednesday prior to Thanksgiving. We usually steer clear of any travel on that day. We plan on leaving by 8:00 am, which would put us in the Jim Thorpe area by ~2:00. Am I crazy thinking that we won't hit much traffic during those hours?  Does any one have any experience with traveling (in the NE) on that day that they would like to share? We're coming from near Cape Cod, and will prolly stay away from the George Wash. Bridge, but I always hear horror stories about traffic jams on this day. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I also have a couple questions regarding the venue. I saw that it sold out last year, and that there was a fairly active Shakedown. I am hoping for the same this year! Will there be any dancing space if it does indeed sell out? And is there any reason to get into the venue early? It appears that there will be no chairs as it's GA :headbang: , but I see there are some fixed seats on the front sides, upper level. Are those reserved/ luxury/ VIP seats? Not that any chairs are needed, but  a seat for a few minutes during set break can be refreshing. Thanks for any replies! Take care.

:dsorocks: 

Shakedown is active every time there, before and after. It always gets packed. The lowered dance area will be crammed, maybe some space in the back end of it. The raised area around the side usually has some space, but that becomes high traffic and lots of people with drinks coming through. folding chairs around that area, usually occupied. Never been upstairs. Good luck with traveling I come from below.

• Forum MVP

I will speak to travel and upstairs.

Whatever time you have allowed for the road, double it. At least give yourself sufficient extra time to sit there cussing and fuming.

Upstairs will have a little more room (downstairs will likely be a crush all the way back). Dancing upstairs is doable, especially if your needs don't include having the band in your direct line of sight. It has worked for me, anyway.

Maybe You Should Cross On The Tappen Zee,Catch Rte 80,Into PA,Then Down NE Extension Of Pa Pike

Many Friends Have Had Bad Experiences Coming From Philly/Balt

Avoid The George Washington Unless It's 2:00Am

The Shakedown Is Really Impressive For A DSO Show (Weather Must Be Factored In )

Dancers Will Find Their Space

You Will Love The Peak

• Forum MVP

there is a sign on the door which clearly states 'no peaking'.

Seriously though, one of my favorite venues. Our best nights there have been when it was less crowded but any night there is good. Find my friends, they will probably be the most animated dancers, somewhere in the back. I unfortunately do not think I will make it this year, first time in a long time...

Archived