Sad State Of Affairs

XChemistry

I just bought the new Garcia and Weir and Wasserman set of CD's. The are horrible. What happened to JERRY BAND in the later years seems to be sad. When you listen to the 70's and early 80's he seems brilliant. I am sorry I bought them. I think they need a new Archivist. After a the release of Don't Let Go, Keene College and and the fairly new Passaic I got spoiled. Disappointed Fan. 

Please Let Go

• Forum MVP

not everything is for everyone. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean there isn't value in it for others. I've seen you post on here that you think 80-85 is the best dead- I couldn't disagree more but you are entitled your opinion as am I. What year is this release from??

• Forum MVP

85 was a kick ass year for the GD.  I think!!!   The Greeks still blow my mind, and I listen or have often.   Great sound!!!    I admit, even more so now that I have spent time with some of you GD mental archivist, that my GD/Jerry info is meager.   However, I was lucky enough to see GD and Jerry!!!!  Thank God!!!

My Jerry shows in the 90's were a blast.  They were as spiritual as church gets!!!!!

I have found nuggets and love in all decades of this music.  JGB/GD     played brilliant most of the time.    Yes, different sounds during the decades, but I loved every minute of it.  

My favorite Here comes sunshine was played in 92' at the Dean Center. 

I love hearing all your opinions.  But I must say, we are all lucky to even get to hear them all play, even on a bad day, week, or decade.  Its still better than any other shit out there!!!!!

Aside from that, hope you all are having a wonderful holiday, and a merry Xmas to all, Hanukkah, or any other beliefs you have!!!   Tis the season to be merry:} and to be a prankster:}!!!!!!     

For me, the only Sad State of Affairs is when Jerry died.   Everything before than was icing on the cake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!    

We are all lucky to have what we have!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Forum MVP

What year is this release from??

It is Fall Tour '89 and it smokes.  The beginning of the final great period for JGB: Fall '89 - Spring '91.

As you said, we're all entitled to our opinions but the OP is way off track here.  Sure, I guess if you dropped out of a spaceship with no context of the ebbs and flows of Jerry's music over the years Keene College would seem a different world, representing a very different energy, than Hartford '89, but in the broader scope of history both these shows represent creative heights.  And the Weir Wasserman is gravy.  What a  perfect mix those two were.  Sadly it lasted for such a fleeting moment.

Fall '89! I am not personally familiar with the release you are talking about, but if it was fall '89 I have a feeling it is some killer music. I personally think fall '89 is phenomenal whether JGB or the dead. Give yourself 5 years, maybe, who knows? You'll like it eventually.

If this doesn't blow you away then I'm shocked: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhaW9qO3uOs

• Forum MVP

Tough to see JGB in those big arenas. Energy wasn't there in my opinion. I saw a couple of those shows and from my memory I wouldn't buy this one. I want more Warfields from 89-93!

Hard to argue with this point.  I saw every Warfield show from '89 - '93 and it's impossible to imagine trading that for an arena. 

Archived