Election 2016

bs69

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP

Sorry if I offended people. ....

No offense taken here, Rudd.   You were just getting too upset for your own good and needed to cool down.   I agree with almost everything you said. Here in north Georgia I see the same type of people you speak of around you.

Peace and Love,

Doc

• Forum MVP

It's all good Rude, dialogue is important. We have to keep in mind that the fringe element on both sides make the most noise and you have to realize that is not the majority. By the way, I'm sure you noticed college hoops started tonight!

• Forum MVP

Majority rule is a scary thing. Tyranny of the majority needs to be avoided.

I'm not sure I like the electoral college and majority election may work for me but we don't just want majority rule please. The founders new this....

A majority election is what is meant by majority rule in this case and it is a simple, fair way to vote for a president just as every other democracy in the world does.

It does not make sense (at all!) that more of our fellow Americans wanted (by hundreds of thousands of votes) Clinton over Trump and now Trump will be president.

Everybody knows this is ludicrous including Trump himself who, in 2012, said that the electoral college system of choosing a president "is a disaster for a democracy" when it first appeared that Romney might actually have the majority of votes but lose the election to Obama. (Once the final tallies were in Obama did end up with the majority of the votes).

Americans deserve to have the president that the majority of the people voted for, regardless of the political party. Had this election resulted in the opposite outcome with Trump receiving the majority of votes but losing the election, I wonder how he would have responded.

I am hopeful to not have to live through another election affected by the electoral system in this way. It happened in 2000 and now it has happened again. This is a flaw in our system that can be fixed and many state representatives are already working in that direction.

Perhaps even Donald will get behind this change as he has been able to clearly see the flaws in the electoral college system.

• Forum MVP

It's about the actual popular vote in a national election. (Or at least should be)

Extremely narrow margins in a state should not mean that state then gets all the electoral votes allotted to the state. The electoral votes should reflect the narrow margins. The winner take all approach state by state is what is skewing the numbers and leading to unfair (and unintended--by our forefathers) results. The recognition that this needs to be changed lands on both sides of the aisle and amongst all other party supporters as well. It's been discussed for decades but now coming to the surface more intensely.

bs89.  it's that simple and our founding fathers were genius to figure it out so long ago.  I'm surprised this bunch of misfits with such a strong identity doesn't see the fault with majority rule.  that state legislature movement is a joke if u ask me.  u want to live in a state where EVERY citizen can vote one way and then the "electors" cast for somebody else. no thank you.

Sorry if I offended people. This was the worst political season in many of our lives with so much hatred. I think this whole thing may have upset me more than I realized. I need to quit reading online news. I've also scoured too many sites like Breitbart and the commebts represent the worst of America. So much hatred and vitriol and violent talk that I've taken too much to heart. I read all the racist hate speech on those sites and I've projected too much. too many are celebrating this election as the beginning of a white supremacy agenda which I know will not be the reality. I'm also in an area where I see the deplorable people too often. People are open with their racism in rural KY. They see this as a victory of whites over other races. The hate for obama here was mostly race based. I'm sorry for any comments that any of you thought were directed at any of you. They weren't.

You cant fill a thread with countless demeaning posts and then turn around and apologize once you realize you haven't changed any minds. Or are you preparing to run for office yourself one day? 

• Forum MVP

Okay so upon further review. Ducats is right the issues for the electoral college don't have anything to do with tyranny of the majority. They are 2 fold. First the founders didn't trust the people. Even when only land owning white males could vote they were still concerned with a demigogue coming to power. Think hitler. It gives them one last chance to reject the vote of the people by wiser heads. Maybe that applies here although I don't see them not voting as the delegates did. Trumps plans may concern someone on that level.

By the way, I may not be entirely opposed to requiring voters show some basic knowledge about those they are voting for and against in order to vote. Yes I know these tests would be manipulated to block groups from voting but if done right could ensure people voting on the issues and not simply along party lines or for whatever reason they have.

The 2nd reason stands today. The electoral college disproportionately favors the small states. This allows for the small states to have greater power and sway in elections. This concession was and may still be necessary to get smaller states to join the union which at that time pre civil war was considered a choice and should still be today. In order to get Delaware at the table or the Dakatos they may require this system to avoid the larger states dictating the president to the smaller states. Delaware didnt just want Virginian presidents. The interests of states can vary greatly and in sure today Kansas doesn't want New York and California deciding the president.

By the way I'm not defending this system just seeking to understand it and see how it isn't with out any merit at all.

• Forum MVP

Shannon. Rude knows many of us. We were listening to him vent and sharing thoughts. He wasn't trying to change our mind and I hope he knows no apology necessary. I don't see eye to eye with rude on everything but I know he's my brother and has my back.

• Forum MVP

Who wants a position...

President…Rude

VP…MC

Secretary of State…  Island Bro

Department of the Treasury…

Surgeon General…  Dr Barry

Department of Defense

Attorney General… Chuck V

Department of the Interior…Bs69

Department of Agriculture

Department of Commerce…Comesatime

Department of Labor

Department of Health and Human Services… Poetry Girl

Department of Housing and Urban Development…Brian

Department of Transportation…Tea

Department of Energy

Department of Education….  Teacher Matt

Department of Veterans Affairs

Department of Homeland Security…Manda Panda

White House Chief of Staff

Environmental Protection Agency

Office of Management & Budget

United States Trade Representative

United States Mission to the United Nations

Council of Economic Advisers

Small Business Administration

Shaman and Old Hippy… Doc Watson

• Forum MVP

It's appears with direct vote you allow super majorities in a few states dictate the outcome. Thus politicians would only campaign these states and only take into account the wants of people in these states.

Michael Moore warned the democrats. Hilary was essentially doing just this. She didn't really seem to want to be president with how actively she campaigned. She definitely ignore the heartland northern midwest. Tried to piggyback on Obama votes. Moore interviewed people in the Midwest the heartland and could sense that the people there didn't feel much concern from Hilary for their needs and their wants.

I can see merit in the system if I look hard enough. Direct vote may still make more sense.

• Advisory Board

The electoral college is a tough one. Gut feeling is that it isn't fair and get rid of it. Second thoughts after reading about it is maybe it makes sense. It doesn't bother me that much though, there are bigger issues that need reform.

For example, the rule in the US Senate regarding Filibuster and Cloture. This doesn't exist in the House of Representatives. See the article below it explains it well;

http://www.thisnation.com/question/037.html

I agree that certain votes can require more than a simple majority. Some things should be more difficult than a simple majority. Changing the constitution comes to mind...but any regular motion should not be held hostage to the Filibuster/cloture rules. It feels like a perversion of the deliberative system and not the intention of the way citizens trust that their elected leaders should legislate.

If it was done away with both parties would lose that tool to disturb the process. It would remove a weapon that a minority party has in the senate to wield influence that is beyond their numbers. It is a perversion of the rules but it is legal. Both parties will lose the power of the Filibuster because each will be a minority party at some point.

Things like the Filibuster and attaching riders to critical bills and holding them hostage are the stuff that make the citizenry feel the system is not fair. If we recognize that an elected majority in the Senate (and the House) is the voice of the people, it should be respected as such and arcane twists in the nuances of the rules shouldn't be allowed to manipulate the voices of our elected leaders.

And term limits for sure. And no lobbying after holding office. And limit special interest lobbying to our elected leaders while in office. These things would make a big difference regardless of what party you are.

Dr. B

• Advisory Board

I would go a little further and while I am kidding, I'm kind of not...

Term limits.

And just for one or two election cycles do not re-elect any incumbents. Part of the problem already.

And for one or two elections do not elect any lawyers or professional politicians. Only regular people.

Dr. B

• Forum MVP

Term limits kind of eliminates professional politicians. I can't agree we exclude lawyers although I'd love to see more of the common man. We need campaign finance reform. Limit spending for each candidate require candidates to use all of their donation money. Clintons have gotten rich running charities and campaigns. It's kind of sick.

• Forum MVP

As Secretary of the Interior I would like to promote our National Parks. To further this effort, I will be promoting the "DSO in the Parks" summer tour of outdoor shows. Each location will host shows Thursday through Saturday nights with plenty of camping (Wednesday night sound checks/Terrapin nation shows possible). Here is the proposed schedule:

1st leg

Memorial Day weekend: Grand Canyon

week 2: Zion

week 3: Yosemite

week 4: Yellowstone

week 5: Denali (summer solstice)

2nd leg

July 4: Minuteman

week 2: Gettysburg

week 3: Smoky Mountain

week 4: Mammoth Cave

week 5: Mt. Rushmore

3rd leg

week 1: Big Bend

week 2: Hot Springs

Labor day weekend: Everglades

• Forum MVP

In college junior year, DcFrank and I lived in an apartment at the corner of O and Wisconsin in DC.  I got a ton of stories from that apartment.  One is pretty relevant here.  

We lived next door to racist redneck crackhead for a minute.  And I mean that in the kindest way but you could smell the crack in the hall.  He frequently used the word ****** and I'm pretty sure he had a confederate flag in his apartment.  Despite these pretty serious character flaws, we ended up hanging a few times.  He wasn't mean or nasty to me and we enjoyed smoking bowls in the late hour mornings as we were coming down from our different rides.  One particular night, DCFrank brings back a 6 foot 3 African American buddy from work, Hakeem.  This dude is big.  Probably 220.  I should mention the racist is an out of shape middle aged white guy.  5 10 195.  The neighbor calls Hakeen a ****** to his face.  I mean it was bad.  I was really concerned that the situation was going to get really bad.  I mean Hakeem could kill this dude in my apartment right now and faced with the type of hatred bigotry and straight up disrespect, I wouldn't have held it against him if he knocked him out.  I was shocked that the racist would talk like this directly to a black man, especially one much larger.  

The craziest thing happened.  Hakeem said I think we need to hug this out.  The guys face and body language softened.  They embraced.  I mean a genuine hug.  We drank beer and smoked bowls for a few hours after that.  I'm not saying my neighbor stopped using the N word after that.  That he stopped being racist but I very much feel that moment touched him.  I feel that very moment helped combat the hate he held in his heart when confronted with genuine love.  We need more of this.  We need to seek to understand.  We do ourselves a disservice when we respond to their hatred with more hatred and intolerance.  You can't shove your version of the truth down someone's throat but you very much can shine some light and show them another way.  They may see for themselves one day that your way was better.

Yes, regardless of the election results, I am adamant that racism is wrong.  By better way, I mean tolerance understanding compassion love.  You know the opposite of racism. I believe the majority of Americans believe this even if they fight some prejudice of their own.  I very much believe that most people believe we should judge people based on the content of their character and the merit of their actions.  

I think Doc already brought it up...

We can all be together forever and ever....

Note I am sorry if the use of N word offended you.  I had an English teacher that insisted at Georgetown that for proper context in a story like this that you should use the vernacular of the person your talking about.  The word offends me too.  

Archived