College Basketball

bs69

• Forum MVP

The Brandon Ingram number 1 talk is nonsense. It's just to create a stir and keep people talking. I've heard a few say that but it's just like okafor last year when everyone knew towns was gong 1st and this year will be even less of a cliffhanger.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP

Watched Michigan state get smoked last night by Iowa. Iowa beat them earlier when they were ranked 1st and beat them bad last night when they were ranked 4th. Don't let the final difference of 15 points fool you. It was a lot worse than that. Iowa missed a shot early 2nd half that would have had them leading 50-25. Denzel valentines injury has definitely changed his arc. He could have won player of the year over ben Simmons b/c his team actually wins, but injuries have dropped his stats and effectiveness. I saw a hilarious mock draft that had Skal going above Valentine lol. Valentine is a double double machine that also gets 5-6 assists a game. He's a working mans Ben Simmons. If he's healthy and I have the 7th pick down, I take him all day knowing he's going to instantly contribute.

This is a strange season. No contender has not been beaten badly this year. My fav basketball team of all time, the 2012 champ KY team had losses of 1 and 2 points. This year all of the top teams I believe have losses of at least 10 points. Everyone has looked bad at times. It's going to be an interesting tourney this year. Again this year shows that Calipari is not a great coach. He's the best recruiter since Wooden and likely the best of all times, but if he doesn't have multiple coaches on the floor like with Teague and Kidd-gilchrist in 2012, he's not going far. Ulis is an amazing leader, but with zero big men this team won't go far.

• Forum MVP

If we get the first pick and pass on Simmons, I will lose it. I mean stay away from me for a few hours.

It's interesting to me that Simmons' Achilles heel is that he can't shoot very well when he's not close to the basket. I didn't know this until I got a closer look.

If he really wants to be an impact player in the NBA he's going to need to develop his shot or he's going to be a journeyman.

• Forum MVP

What freshman can shoot. John wall had no shot as a freshman. Lebron was horrible shooting. U can get better shooting but you can't teach the things Simmons does. Seeing the court the way he does this young is just uncanny. He now runs the point on LSU. He's unstoppable 1 on 1 and if you double him he will just make a brilliant pass. He's so amazing within 5 feet that he can make offbalance shots with ease. The only thing that stops him is cardio. Running the point and penetrating like he does in addition to bringing down 14 boards a game will drain you. I've seen him just get fatigued from doing so much but his conditioning will improve. He's such an athletic specimen. Try to watch lsu as much as you can. He amazes me at least 5x a game.

• Forum MVP

Reminds me of Magic Johnson, he couldn't shoot either but learned, great at everything else.

Iowa looks pretty good, but the team I have been most impressed with is Oklahoma. Held is lighting it up! I predict they blow out West Virginia

• Forum MVP

Thank god there isn't a 4 team playoff in hoops. U.K. Is such a fraud this year. Luckily they play in the SEC as rankings will favor them b/c weak schedule. Teams like west va look soooo much better than the cats but have a much harder schedule and will accumulate losses quicker. Oklahoma looks scary as fuck btw!!! Wow.

• Forum MVP

What freshman can shoot. John wall had no shot as a freshman. Lebron was horrible shooting. U can get better shooting but you can't teach the things Simmons does. Seeing the court the way he does this young is just uncanny. He now runs the point on LSU. He's unstoppable 1 on 1 and if you double him he will just make a brilliant pass. He's so amazing within 5 feet that he can make offbalance shots with ease. The only thing that stops him is cardio. Running the point and penetrating like he does in addition to bringing down 14 boards a game will drain you. I've seen him just get fatigued from doing so much but his conditioning will improve. He's such an athletic specimen. Try to watch lsu as much as you can. He amazes me at least 5x a game.

Ingram can shoot as a freshman (45% from 3-land). Plenty of freshman shoot great. I agree that Simmons is extremely talented, but I'll stick with my original assertion that he had better learn to shoot or he will be just another pretty good player in the NBA. With a good shooting coach, and a lot of hard work, he can learn to shoot. But I doubt he will ever become a pure dead-eye shooter....but I hope I am proven wrong, as he shows flashes of brilliance on the court.

• Forum MVP

They weren't. Historically from 3 they both never were. Jordan and kobe were high flying rim attackers. Jordan developed the fall away later in his career. I'm a big jordan fan. He reinvented himself from a slashing dunker to a jump shooter. Kobe Bryant was never a great shooter. Clutch maybe. Great no. Look at his shooting percentage by distance. Never over 47 percent field goal percentage over all and check out where most of his shot came from when he was young. They were in the paint or on drives.

He shooting under 35 percent now. He can't drive so he has to be a jump shooter and he sucks at it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Forum MVP

Man the Oklahoma lsu and uk ku games were off the charts great games!!!!! I feel bad for lsu being up so much and buddy heil just couldn't miss 2nd half. This guy consistently shoots over 50% taking 15 3's a game. That's insanity. Starting 1/5 and finishing 8/15 is just crazy. Ben Simmons isn't in shape. He played too many minutes(around 37) and it showed. He stood around too much and was 6/6 until the last minute of the game. He is so dominant inside but just doesn't have the conditioning right now to dominate a whole game. Lsu is definitely the most improved team in the country but their horrible start to the season may cost them a slot in the tourney. They needed That Oklahoma win. That plus the uk domination would get them in with 11 losses or better but now they need a great 3 week run to have a shot.

U.K. Played well but losing all 3 bigs to fouls doomed them in OT. Even mighty might Tyler ulis cramped up in OT. He did play every second of the game mind you. Playing 45 minutes he had 26 points on 70% shooting. 8 assists. 3 steals 3 boards and 3 turnovers. He can play NBA regardless that he's 5'9". He scored most of his points in the paint and took it to the Kansas bigs. If he comes back next year, UK will win the national championship with their incoming class of bruisers and their returning guards. This year UK missed out on all of their center prospects and it is killing them. Mark it down. UK 2017 national champs if ulis returns.

• Forum MVP

Kentucky seems to be struggling this year.

That's an understatement. Zero bigs. the bigs off the bench are clueless. Playing Skal, the biggest bust in the history of rivals and ESPN recruiting rankings, is to the detriment of the team. He's horrible. All I wanted was Karl towns to come back 1 more year and this team would be great. So what if you are the number 1 pick. You should turn down the 15 mil plus endorsements to get another year of education. I blame him.

• Forum MVP

This is the way with UK in the coach Cal era, going to have down years when the top recruits don't pan out. Maybe you can look forward to watching Skal grow into a good player over multiple years?

• Forum MVP

We all want skal gone!!! His people have told NBA gms that he's gone after this year and we are ecstatic. He has a solid 15 foot jumper but can't play D or rebound. He's averaging 1 board a game the last 7 games. Wtf. He's 7 feet. In 17 minutes vs Kansas 0 rebounds. He's 1/2 second slow to react always. I've never seen a player that slow to react to anything. Next year hopefully ulis is back and we have 2 big bangers inside for him to feed and these guys are like Towns and Randle. Skal couldn't rebound in high school. These guys coming in are 6'10 250 and live for offensive rebounds. If ulis is back uk wins it all next year. Ulis is the best point guard uk has had in 10 years. He's better than John wall at least when wall was a freshman. Ulis plays every minute of every game and has scored at least 20 his last 5 with at least 6 assists and his worse game he had 3 turnovers in 45 minutes vs Kansas. He could win the wooden wars if he stays until he's a senior.

• Forum MVP

Did I miss something?  Did Kentucky not get a top 5 recruiting class?  Didn't they sign a healthy amount of McD's all americans and ESPN top 100 guys.  I thought talent dictated the quality of the team? Does that only apply in football or maybe the scouting of high school players is more accurate in football.  I'm just confused.  By talent alone, Kentucky should be a top 10 team right?

• Forum MVP

Basketball is different than football. If every bama football 5 star left after freshman year they would suck. If basketball players had to stay 3-4 years, U.K. Would have had Anthony Davis, Karl towns and Julius Randle as their front court lol. That would be the best front court in the NBA in 3 years. In college football you don't win with freshmen. But then again UK won it in 2012 with Davis, Kidd gilchrist and Teague who were the number 1 class.

Also basketball has only 5 players on the court while football takes 22. Its easier in hoops to not have weak links but a lot harder in football.

• Forum MVP

True MC. But you also have very limited time to work with these freshmen before they split for the pros and if you are depending on a kid who's not even close to ready like a Skal Labissiere, then your season is doomed.

UK has another issue next year. If skal, Lee and ulis do not declare then they will be 1-2 scholarships short. Either kids will have to transfer or go walk on.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Forum MVP

Wowsers. UK destroyed South Carolina at SC. They are starting to click. Ulis had 27 points and 12 assists with only 1 turnover. He's almost unstoppable and if he was 6'5" he'd be the number 1 pick over Ben. Good thing for the Cats he's 5'9" and may play 4 years.

Archived