The Who 50th Anniversary......

acududeman

• Forum MVP

I happened to watch the 7/15 Who show from Hyde Park, celebrating their 50th anniversary. It is on Showtime, and I highly recommend it to anyone remotely interested.

They sound amazingly strong.....much better than the show I caught in Nashville circa '87.  My favorite current band member is Zak Starkey. In fact, he may be my favorite living drummer at this point. His playing and awesome drum/cymbal sound really do it for me.

Check it out....

• Forum MVP

My first concert was the Who in their '82 "Farewell Tour". I was in 6th grade and thoroughly overwhelmed in a good way. They had many tours after that...

they have certainly moved some energy in their time rocking hard.

I caught a show from that '82 tour at the Syracuse Carrier Dome (site of my first Dead show 2 years later).  "Farewell" tour - that's funny. I was in 10th grade and was also pretty overwhelmed!

• Forum MVP

My fourth dead show was that Saturday night at the carrier dome in 84.Syracuse was decked out. First Who show was cincy in 1979, seventh grade. Looking forward to their upcoming show in Louisville in April. Last time was deercreek in 2002. Entwhistle played some great club shows in spring of 1996. $15.00 for the ox tearing through the joints. He didn't start until around midnight and sold ear plugs for a dollar at merch table. He played Dayton, Louisville and Annie's in cincy. Remember Annie's scarlet>fire?

• Forum MVP

Jackie Eckerle, Karen Morrison (both at their first concert) and Stephen Preston, known by friends as pips lost their lives there and went to our high school, Finneytown. I was actually in 10th grade, not 7th, as we're Jackie and Karen. Blamed it on the kids and GA, feyline productions oversold riverfront coliseum, 22,000 when it was only slated for 18,000. Under staffed, only opening four sets of doors, ruined GA for the entire east coast from then on. That show they were trying out reserved seating, selling lower arena seats as reserved. And yet it's heralded as the best reason to do away with the beauty of GA. The Who were devastated. The next show after that, was a year later, ZZ Top and I got kicked out for taking one last hit of a roach, got back in three songs later. We didn't know until the next day that we lost our friends. Except those who had gone to the show with pips and friends.it's important to know what wrecked GA for the east coast. Bill Graham kept it going nice out west to r years after. Hampton VA was the last great stronghold of GA for years after. GD loved that venue

• Forum MVP

The day of the show we got down there at 3pm skipping out on the last class of the day to get a good spot. We started out about 10 ft from the doors and ended up about 100 ft by the time they opened the doors at 7:30. Once in, drenched in sweat, wearing winter gear on December 3rd, we caught up with each of the four of our group, got seated, instead of an opening band, The Who had a drive in screen down on the stage and showed the preview for the 1979 film Quadrophenia, the screen lifted and the band started the concert. Caught the 82 show in Boulder and ran a D5 w/dbx converted to battery for the 1989 Boulder show. AKG460 in a Horn hat. Tight security but we got it in by scoping out the best entrance to Jedi in. In 89 they played three shows at alpine after the three rain soaked dead shows.

I was watching Monday Night Football the night of the stampede in Cincy. Howard Cosell made the announcement during the game. One year later Cosell would make the announcement on MNF that John Lennon had been shot. 

My first Who show was in Dec 1982 at the Checkerdome in St. Louis. This was the Who's Farewell Tour. I believe St. Louis was the second to last stop on the tour before the final show in Toronto, Canada. I recorded the final Who show from Toronto off the radio. They did a national Live broadcast that night on FM radio. I might still have the tape of the show at home somewhere collecting dust. I definitely have the VHS copy of the show.

I have seen every Who tour after 1982. I had third row in front of Pete Townshend in 1989 at Busch Stadium, St. Louis. That night Pete Townshend had his right hand wrapped in gauze after putting his hand through the whammy bar on his guitar at the previous show in Seattle.

I also saw John Entwistle's solo tour in Jan 1996. I stood directly in front of him the entire night. Maybe 100 people there at KSHE's Real Rock Cafe at Union Station St. Louis. Great show!

I saw Roger Daltrey's Tommy Tour in Oct 2011 at the Peabody Opera House St. Louis. Another great show. Roger's vocals sounded good on most of the Tommy songs.

Hoping the Who makes it to St. Louis on March 26, 2016. They have already canceled twice in St. Louis. The original show date was May of 2015. I've held onto my ticket for almost a year. Unbelievable!!!

• Forum MVP

I was watching Monday Night Football the night of the stampede in Cincy. Howard Cosell made the announcement during the game. One year later Cosell would make the announcement on MNF that John Lennon had been shot. 

My first Who show was in Dec 1982 at the Checkerdome in St. Louis. This was the Who's Farewell Tour. I believe St. Louis was the second to last stop on the tour before the final show in Toronto, Canada. I recorded the final Who show from Toronto off the radio. They did a national Live broadcast that night on FM radio. I might still have the tape of the show at home somewhere collecting dust. I definitely have the VHS copy of the show.

I have seen every Who tour after 1982. I had third row in front of Pete Townshend in 1989 at Busch Stadium, St. Louis. That night Pete Townshend had his right hand wrapped in gauze after putting his hand through the whammy bar on his guitar at the previous show in Seattle.

I also saw John Entwistle's solo tour in Jan 1996. I stood directly in front of him the entire night. Maybe 100 people there at KSHE's Real Rock Cafe at Union Station St. Louis. Great show!

I saw Roger Daltrey's Tommy Tour in Oct 2011 at the Peabody Opera House St. Louis. Another great show. Roger's vocals sounded good on most of the Tommy songs.

Hoping the Who makes it to St. Louis on March 26, 2016. They have already canceled twice in St. Louis. The original show date was May of 2015. I've held onto my ticket for almost a year. Unbelievable!!!

So, what is your impression of Zak Starkey on drums?

So, what is your impression of Zak Starkey on drums?

Don't have an opinion on Zak Starkey. I haven't seen the Who with Zak on drums in a while. I don't think he was the drummer for Roger Daltrey's Tommy tour in 2011.

Archived