More Fall Tour news

Taper Ron

DSO just announced they have added a show at the Granada Theater, Lawrence, KS  Monday 25 September, the night before the Salina show.

Lawrence is a nice little town, just 28 miles down the road from me, and where I first saw DSO.

:dsorocks:

• Forum MVP

Unfortunately already Booked my Boulder flight as 2 shows on the way might have flipped it to road trip from 4-day weekend. Guess you can't do them all. If I was solo I'd have done the 5 there and Omaha back but not everyone can work from their laptops. The gf has to actually show up at the hospital for her internship and she's become the driving force for me on tour and after last week the GD is officially her favorite band and she stated that for the record(van Morrison is a very close 2nd). She now plays it constantly.  She plays a lot of DSO too. They are by far her fav current dead band as she loves the fast paced, proper Dead style(I actually think DSO may be a faster, harder rocking style of dead than the dead was). But live, she likes them all. Last night she's like lets just put on some dead instead of watching a movie.  I guess this is how parents feel when their kids say their 1st words or learn to walk. I properly brainwashed her. I know I've been talking about this a lot lately. I guess if was because I actually never thought that the dead would be her favorite music but all of you fantastic people here on the board and many not on here showed so much love to us both, it's hard to not associate the love and the music.  Took 46 DSO and 5 deadco shows until that declaration so I shoved it down her throat lol.  Plus weekends like Berkeley, Boulder, NOLA, Chicago just add to it all. I can say definitively, that there is no more fun to be had than doing a run on tour.  Maybe im

happy because now I can do as much tour as I want and know I'll get no friction. As I type im thinking that may be the key to it all. If there's a show and it clashes with some other event, I know I'll get my show. Let the good times roll!!

• Forum MVP
13 hours ago, Rude said:

.... GD is officially her favorite band and she stated that for the record(van Morrison is a very close 2nd). ....

I noticed the increased interest by ML the few times I’ve been fortunate enough to be around you two.  It shows in her cute smile.  It’s always inspiring to see how the music grows into someone.  Last week DSO played a van Morrison song. Was that especially for ML or was that part of the Dead’s repertoire?

• Forum MVP
5 hours ago, Michael Doc Watson said:

I noticed the increased interest by ML the few times I’ve been fortunate enough to be around you two.  It shows in her cute smile.  It’s always inspiring to see how the music grows into someone.  Last week DSO played a van Morrison song. Was that especially for ML or was that part of the Dead’s repertoire?

Definitely not especially for her. They have done they stoned me several times but she was super excited to get it. 

• Forum MVP

I can't find any evidence the Grateful Dead ever played And it Stoned me.  Jerry Garcia band did quite a bit, but no Grateful Dead version I can find.  I checked the deadbase, but its definitely been apart of DSO repertoire.

• Forum MVP

Meant dso has done and it stoned me.  JGB did lots of van morrison as well as post GD concoctions, but GD only played 1 van morrison tune, Gloria, which was written by Van morrison but played by his band, Them.

JGB or Jerry/merl played:

And it stoned me

Bright side of the road

Tupelo Honey

He aint give you none(Great name)

Crazy love

Not sure why the donkey is spliced in the vid but theres a raw pre-mtv vid

• Forum MVP
6 hours ago, Mason's Child said:

I got a Jerry and Merl show from 1/15/72 on youtube where Jerry definitely sings Tupelo Honey.

Fascinating! There is no reference in GarciaBase to Tupelo Honey, meaning that as of its last printing there were no known versions.  But, on the "updates" section (not able to be combined into the actual Base as the software is apparently cooked), they move the venue on 1-15-72 from Lion Share to Keystone Korner and include a set list that indeed shows Tupelo.  Meaning that to date this is the only known version.  Somehow the recording itself eluded me as well, so I just obtained it, although it's a reel-to-reel that has suffered 2 cassette generations and most song beginnings are clipped.  Nonetheless, this does appear to be a little sliver of gold!  Thanks, Mason.

• Forum MVP

I listened casually to some 1-15-72 tonight and then seriously to the Tupelo.  Sadly, the fidelity of this source is no better than its lineage suggests.  That said, my goodness does Jerry play a beautiful solo on Tupelo. Van Morrison can only dream that he ever had a guitar player on stage with him at any time during his career hitting any semblance of those notes.

The concept that Garcia could pull off such masterful shit as this in a song done briefly (if not just this once) and then forgotten is what ultimately makes his legacy so unfathomable.

• Forum MVP

Yeah its not a great source.  Unfortunately that was the only one I believe.  Im surprised Jerry never pulled that one out again.  Seems like its right in the JGB wheelhouse. 

Archived