Terrapin/Minglewood connection

Hardpan

Was listening to Minglewood this morning, and it dawned on me that it shares a couple things with Terrapin, namely, the lion’s den and implied love triangles in each song. I wonder if Hunter was inspired by this at all when creating the lyrics for Terrapin. The sailor could have been the guy from Minglewood, who, being raised in a lion’s den, held no qualms about entering the lion’s den in Terrapin to win the Lady’s favor. Maybe the Lady knew it, and chose the sailor this way with her action of tossing the fan, while letting the soldier down in a graceful manner.  Morning thoughts, hope you all have a good day. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Ammagamalin Crew said:

Make for a good Jerry Bobby opener, evening thoughts and thanks for all your taping!

The plot thickens! The only time (I think) Terrapin was played as an opener was its first live performance, on 2/26/77, and it was followed by Minglewood. Pretty cool, wonder if it holds any water or they were just playing songs. Taping was fun, made some dear friends, and it was a fun way to experience shows. Thanks back to you for all your taping!

• Like (+1) 3

• Forum MVP

FWIW, Headyversion has Terrapin 2/26/77 listed as the top voted performance and Minglewood on that same night as third best voted performance. Most of the best performances listed for both songs were ‘77, with a light sprinkling of ‘78 and a pinch of Brent era versions. There, I did my homework. Can I go outside and play? 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

OK, hear me out. The first set of 2/26/77 as a story. Terrapin as an overview, Minglewood giving some backstory on the sailor. They Love Each Other as the relationship blooms. Estimated Prophet, the sailor develops some kind of messiah complex. The Lady has had enough of the sailor’s insane ramblings, leading into Sugaree, the break up. The sailor is feeling down and out after losing it all, gets into trouble, as described in Mama Tried. Deal, a cautionary tale, but at least they gave it a shot. Playin, a summary, with The Wheel sandwiched in between as a reminder that we may be at the mercy of fate, with the chance of redemption at every turn of the Wheel. A stretch, maybe? 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

• Forum MVP
46 minutes ago, Hardpan said:

OK, hear me out. The first set of 2/26/77 as a story. Terrapin as an overview, Minglewood giving some backstory on the sailor. They Love Each Other as the relationship blooms. Estimated Prophet, the sailor develops some kind of messiah complex. The Lady has had enough of the sailor’s insane ramblings, leading into Sugaree, the break up. The sailor is feeling down and out after losing it all, gets into trouble, as described in Mama Tried. Deal, a cautionary tale, but at least they gave it a shot. Playin, a summary, with The Wheel sandwiched in between as a reminder that we may be at the mercy of fate, with the chance of redemption at every turn of the Wheel. A stretch, maybe? 

Next level analysis there Hardpan.

All I know how to do is show up and

spin myself silly.

Praise DSO.

• Like (+1) 2
  • LMAO 2