Dark Star Jubilee 2022 Night Two

Dark Star Orchestra, 5/28/2022, performing Grateful Dead, 10/11/1983

Set 1:

Wang Dang Doodle, Jack Straw, Loser, Me and My Uncle > Mexicali Blues, Bird Song, Hell in a Bucket > Day Job

Set 2:

China Cat > I Know You Rider, I Need a Miracle > Bertha > Jam > China Doll > Drums > Space > Saint Stephen > Throwing Stones > Touch of Grey

Encore: Johnny  B Goode

Encore 2: Turn on Your lovelight 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 4
  • Forum MVP

That was a smoke show. Curious how many times they had played bucket and throwing stones at this point. No deadbase on me so no clue. They also played touch. 3 songs that wouldn’t see an album for 4 years. 

i was thrown off by Lisa on stage. I don’t remember seeing her on stage besides doing pig harmonica in a all boy show so I was like 80’s style original with Lisa harmonizing and didn’t think it was a show. That 2nd set was crazy. Epic show. Dso crushes the 80’s. That Touch was a bass lead song. Interesting twist with skip leading the way with the guitars being 2nd fiddle for most of the song. The band sounded so tight. Was an epic show. 

• Like (+1) 1
8 hours ago, Tea said:

Listened to that Space > St Stephen for hours upon hours.  Goosebump City

Likewise. I literally wore out at least 3 copies of that cassette, back in the old Maxell XLII 90 days.

Funny story, longwinded but true, and related to this show:

In 1983, I was a sophomore in college and punched my ticket on the bus in Hampton 4/9/83. Although I had been into the Dead's music since high school when I bought the Live Dead album, it took a bigger commitment to make the 12-15 hour drive from TN to the closest shows in Virginia and beyond. I did the Summer 83 east coast run, and in September, I felt like I hit the mail order lottery when I got a ticket for the NYE shows at the SF Civic. Following the NYE 81 Dark Star breakout and the NYE 82 Lovelight, Hard to Handle, Midnight Hour, etc, I arrogantly predicted a St Stephen breakout at New Years 83. I also started dating this woman, who liked to describe herself at the time as "an innocent girl in a pastel sweater with a sorority pin". She couldn't have identified the Dead in a police lineup, but she did like to make t-shirts! At my request, she hand-painted a black t-shirt with the logo: "St Stephen with a..." across the top, the iconic skeletal hand holding a rose in the center, and "New Year's '83" across the bottom. It was a beautiful shirt.

For better or worse, i also talked her into riding with me and two buddies to her first shows at Richmond and Greensboro. She thought we were crazy for driving all night to see a band she'd never heard of, but she reluctantly agreed to go, only after I promised to have her back for her Monday morning classes following the Sunday show 10/9/83 (she was a much more serious student than I was). We had a great trip to two great shows and as a proud boyfriend, I donned her t-shirt for the first (and only) time at the Greensboro show. Hours before the show, they had opened the concourse to allow Heads to go in and out to use the facilities, though the interior doors were locked. Another friend of ours came up to us in the parking lot, put his finger on the rose across my chest and said "you know, they're sound checking that RIGHT NOW!." Since he was known to be a bit of a joker, I thought he was bullshitting us because we were so freaking high, and blew it off. After the show, I had my 'lady with a fan' moment, when joker friend told me he had an extra ticket to the next show at MSG 10/11/83 which was mine for the asking, provided I would drive him to NYC. Of course, that would mean breaking my promise and abandoning this cute girl, who was really high for the first time but wanted no part of missing a week's worth of classes. So my dilemma was: go on to the next show and never see her again or keep my word? Fast forward almost 40 years and 3 amazing kids later, we're still together, and she saw over 100 shows after we moved out to the Bay Area. Two of the kids were even with us at the DSO Cavern shows. 

BUT, I never saw St Stephen with Jerry. I had to wait until the Terrapin Station Reunion in Alpine 2002. (the first and only 'Goodnight Irene' on 12/31/83 was at least a consolation) I wouldn't dare change a thing, but every time I hear that 10/11/83 show, I can't help but wonder how drastically different my path would look if I'd been at MSG the first time around.

Edited by UncleJohnsHand
typo
  • Like (+1) 10
  • Forum MVP

To answer my question it looks like Touch had been played 20 or so times, throwing stones around 30 and it was the 13th bucket and was around the 4th or 5th time all were played same show. In this digital age, we can only find this stuff in a book. Weird.