Taking a kid to a show?

Zoob

I've got a 10 year old son who i'd love to take to a show.  Ordinarily I'd take him to a daytime summer outdoor show... like I used to go to gathering of the vibes, etc. all the time.  But lately there haven't been too many of these opportunities.  DSO is coming to the Palace, anyone know if  A) a 10-year-old is allowed , and B))  your opinion on whether it's a bad idea.  I'm mostly worried about the smoke. I've got ear plugs for him if needed.   His favorite songs are Touch, Shakedown and FOTM.   I took him to set 1 of dead & co at spac lawn few years back when he was like 6 or 7.   Interested in all of your thoughts.  I haven't seen DSO in a few years.

THANKS

Edited by Zoob
add
  • Like (+1) 1

• Forum MVP

We take our kids to shows fairly regularly. You have to modify your experience clearly but I don't see anything wrong with it as long as you still in parent mode and not party mode. We often have to leave early when the kids come cause towards the end they've just had enough. I'm not positive but I believe we've taken Delilah to the palace when she was very young so I can't see why they wouldn't let a 10 year old in but I would check the venues website. It usually states whether show is all ages. We plan to bring the kids to the Hartford show.

• Thanks (+1) 1

• Forum MVP

I took my son to an indoor show in Berkeley when he was 12.  There was all sorts of fun going down lol.

He is level-headed and had a positive experience.  I think this really depends on the kid, and as you know 10 is not the same as 12.

But I vote that you take him.  He’ll not only live, but he will be better off for the experience.

DD

• Like (+1) 1

• Forum MVP

I took my son to see DSO at the Grand Opera House in Wilmington, De. When he was twelve. He’s a natural born drummer and had been taking lessons. He fit right in. We caught another show together ten years later at the Bottle and Cork in Dewey Beach. He went up front while I stayed back and danced for that one. When we met up after the show he was covered in sweat. Don’t you see?, he had a real good time.

• Haha (+1) 1

• Forum MVP
On 3/3/2023 at 8:57 AM, Zoob said:

I've got a 10 year old son who i'd love to take to a show.  Ordinarily I'd take him to a daytime summer outdoor show... like I used to go to gathering of the vibes, etc. all the time.  But lately there haven't been too many of these opportunities.  DSO is coming to the Palace, anyone know if  A) a 10-year-old is allowed , and B))  your opinion on whether it's a bad idea.  I'm mostly worried about the smoke. I've got ear plugs for him if needed.   His favorite songs are Touch, Shakedown and FOTM.   I took him to set 1 of dead & co at spac lawn few years back when he was like 6 or 7.   Interested in all of your thoughts.  I haven't seen DSO in a few years.

THANKS

you don’t need to worry about smoke. Very few light up indoors anymore with vapes. The only exception was at the UC theater in Berkeley. We get in line early with John A to grab a table and 1st thing John pulls out a bowl and sits it on a table and the waitress comes up and he hits the bowl lol. I’m like what are you doing.  He’s like it’s Berkeley. That’s like the only indoor spot I’ve seen where everyone smokes vs just vaping. 

• Forum MVP

I would highly recommend (no pun intended) not letting your child see you get high, get high with him, or get your pot from, or through him. I did all of the above and lost the parent/child authority, never got it back. Controlled burn might seem cool at first, long story,  but my only son literally does not speak to me. Less than cool. Only introduce him to the music. If he wants, needs, or desires the peripheral aspects that go along with the music, let him find that on his own.