Phish - do you like them?

DesertDead

• Forum MVP

I'm in agreement with most others on here. I don't dislike them and I had a good time at the shows I went to. But I only saw them 3 times: the zoo show referenced by AC that was oversold, at Cincinnati Music Hall where the fire alarms were going off a couple songs in and they emptied the place,  then allowed everyone back in and at the Nutter center in Dayton around 94or5. Haven't seen them since. 

• Like (+1) 1

• Forum MVP
On 5/3/2023 at 10:08 PM, Greg from Chestertown said:

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. That being said, when I have steak, I have Filet Mignon. I have managed to never hear a single Phish tune. 43 years in and I’m still searching through the Grateful Dead archives. Maybe after I get through all of that but for now, river roll, roll, roll. 

wow somehow I never saw this comment. This is sort of crazy never hearing 1 tune??

during the lockdown, Koritz was doing his podcast and Dino was on there. We threw up a question like would you rather be the drummer of phish or panic. I figured Dino was gonna say panic as he’s seen them a bunch even though on a 1 drummer in Chicago years ago with Koritz drumming; he went to see phish before hightailing it back in time to do the filler, but Koritz chose Phish. But having never heard a song ever is sorta strange. I’d at least want to know what all the hype is about. 

Greg, I’d suggest popping on the double CD Junta. It’s studio but really good. The lyrics are very whimsical, but musically they are solid. Some parts of some songs are like you stepped into a traditional jazz club. There are multiple style changes in every song. You Enjoy Myself is likely their most famous songs. The drumming on Golgi Apparatus is elite. 

• Like (+1) 1

• Forum MVP

I know, right!? Everyone thinks my not listening to Any Phish at all is because I had to work late every day and couldn’t make it to the record store before they closed. Conscience decision, friends. To me, it’s all about Jerry Garcia’s mind, the effect LSD had on him, and how he communicated that to us through his guitar. Jerry’s noodling is his innermost thoughts.  That’s what I’m chasing down. He was first, he’s the only one. Everyone else is simply trying to reinvent the wheel. Can’t be done, we already have the wheel. That’s why Dark Star Orchestra works for me. They’re replicating a previous GD experience, a time machine if you will, while still moving the music forward with elective set lists. After Jerry died, I did a couple Phil and Friends shows, a couple JGB band shows with Merl. I figured it was over until I stumbled upon Dark Star Orchestra. Praise DSO and their loyal fans. 

• Like (+1) 3

• Forum MVP
6 hours ago, Tom Banjo said:

Man my I don't like phish comment sparked a pretty active thread. Didn't expect that.

Well acknowledging your parenthesized comment was more of a goodwill gesture.  I just got off of tour and was going to share some of the experience anyway.

Just had to remember how to type so it took me a few days hahaha.

So, yeah, frankly the thread has zero to do with you directly, Tom, I promise.

But since you’re here I was surprised that you soured on them so strongly after having been very much into them.  

But everyone has their own path, right?

DD

• Forum MVP

The only Phish songs I have listened to in entirety are covers performed by my favorite local/ band JEB.

Trey at Dead 50 cemented my disinterest. Saw a great t-shirt there…

”Don’t Trey to suck”

I am of the ilk that believe Phish heads had much to do with the deterioration of the GD scene in the 90’s.

Have been to dozens of WSP…even got to see Houser several times.

• Like (+1) 1

• Forum MVP
15 hours ago, Greg from Chestertown said:

I know, right!? Everyone thinks my not listening to Any Phish at all is because I had to work late every day and couldn’t make it to the record store before they closed. Conscience decision, friends. To me, it’s all about Jerry Garcia’s mind, the effect LSD had on him, and how he communicated that to us through his guitar. Jerry’s noodling is his innermost thoughts.  That’s what I’m chasing down. He was first, he’s the only one. Everyone else is simply trying to reinvent the wheel. Can’t be done, we already have the wheel. That’s why Dark Star Orchestra works for me. They’re replicating a previous GD experience, a time machine if you will, while still moving the music forward with elective set lists. After Jerry died, I did a couple Phil and Friends shows, a couple JGB band shows with Merl. I figured it was over until I stumbled upon Dark Star Orchestra. Praise DSO and their loyal fans. 

phish played dead when they started out as a band really early. They were inspired by the dead like Panic. Jerry had a big influence on these jam bands. Billy strings plays pretty much 0 dead now, but the GD got him famous. He played 3 dead songs a night when he started. He would have gotten big anyway, but without him being talked about on every dead forum about his take on dead songs, no way he got big that fast. People on here were posting links to his dead covers. He played with Bobby at the Ryman. The dead built his brand quickly. 

i just figured you’d be interested in a big band who started out as deadheads and were inspired by the dead and this is their sound. 

i really loved early Panic b/c their initial sound was so similar to the dead on their self titled album and space wrangler. A lot of their fans were upset by the time bombs and butterflies came out as it was their own sound and not really dead-like anymore. 

• Like (+1) 2

• Forum MVP
3 hours ago, 2muchfun said:

The only Phish songs I have listened to in entirety are covers performed by my favorite local/ band JEB.

Trey at Dead 50 cemented my disinterest. Saw a great t-shirt there…

”Don’t Trey to suck”

I am of the ilk that believe Phish heads had much to do with the deterioration of the GD scene in the 90’s.

Have been to dozens of WSP…even got to see Houser several times.

Mikey was a helluva guitar player.  Seems so neat that circumstances led to Jimmy finally getting that chair.  He might be the only guy on the planet that could respectably play WSP music as it was designed.  Miraculous, really.

I’d say that the general explosion of popularity of the GD led to so many of the people who were not at the shows for the music was the problem.  A lot of people who were the “problem” back then that I observed were not Phish fans.

But, again, I get it.  Some just don’t like them.  Right on.

(oh, and congrats on your show anniversary from Palladium 1977!)

DD

• Forum MVP

Panic was my 1st live band thar I traveled to see in the early 90’s. Got to see them with 40 other people at Phoenix hill in Louisville and the Cincinnati zoo. They paid their dues for a decade before making their nut. Luckily they were from the south and got to catch them several times in Lexington too. I didn’t catch them again until 2010 and now I’m in for at least 3 shows a year including 3 redrocks shows end of June!!!!!! DSO didn’t release any summer shows in time and we had to pull the trigger on something and redrocks is a hoot as it is. Giddy up!!

• Like (+1) 1

• Forum MVP
14 hours ago, DesertDead said:

Well acknowledging your parenthesized comment was more of a goodwill gesture.  I just got off of tour and was going to share some of the experience anyway.

Just had to remember how to type so it took me a few days hahaha.

So, yeah, frankly the thread has zero to do with you directly, Tom, I promise.

But since you’re here I was surprised that you soured on them so strongly after having been very much into them.  

But everyone has their own path, right?

DD

I'll take your word for. Just coincidence and synchronicity. I appreciate the good will. It's not so much I soured on them. More I grew out of it. We were just having fun working on our night moves. DSO and the GD we be making love. That love is all encompassing. Just don't have time or energy for other music anymore. DSO makes my cup runneth over. Own paths. To each their own 

• Like (+1) 3