Jeff Mattson Interview And New Riders Benefit Show

PK1

GW: Can you provide some detail on your current rig? Will there be changes when you join DSO?

JM: Right now, my rig is very simple. I'm playing a stock Stratocaster through a Tone King Comet 40 combo amplifier. I'm not much of a gear head. I use a handful of pedals that changes from night to night and includes a MXR Distortion +, and MXR Envelope Filter, a Vox Wah Pedal, and a Hughes and Kettner Rotosphere. I will be experimenting with new stuff with DSO--not exactly sure what yet. But I am ordering a Hard Truckers JG1 2x12 Cabinet and am digging out some old pedals such as my Mutron III and Mutron Octave Divider to help get those classic Jerry tones.

Thanks for the link. Good read.

Now, that is music to my ears. Please, please get those classic Jerry tones. I must admit that I am a little concerned, yet eagerly awaiting my first shows with Jeff in the mix. It's not his chops or his vocals as much as it is "the tone" and guitar phrasing. He seems to be getting good reviews, so I don't guess I should worry. We'll see on the 30th and 31st. Happy Holidays everyone.

Guest Rob Eaton

It's really all about the notes and the notes first. Without those the rest is meaningless... It's funny how some folks are so into the "tone". Kevin's tone is nothing like Phil's tone yet there is very little mention of it. My tone for the past 2 years (with the exception if the hollow body) has not changed and does not change with the time period and is really nothing like Weir's...... Just my observation....... I frankly could care less about Jeff's tone... What I care about is the MUSIC...... Jeff makes me a better player and that is something I don't say lightly! I seem to remember the same bickering about Rob B when he started playing with us....... I guess it's part of change. This will be a new chapter in DSO's evolution and those expecting it to be the same might be surprised to find it's not exactly the same. What it will be is high quality Grateful Dead Music like it has always been. I guess if it doesn't work for the listener then there is always Furthur with JK. John will NOT be back with DSO in the future (his choice not ours) and that is something we will all have to deal with and accept. If DSO without JK is something people don't like then there is always Furthur or JK's side projects when Furthur is done..... But please give us time to get a feel for our new lineup and allow us to grow into it! Remember we didn't ask for this but have no choice but to move on and do the very best we can.......

• Forum MVP
It's really all about the notes and the notes first. Without those the rest is meaningless... It's funny how some folks are so into the "tone". Kevin's tone is nothing like Phil's tone yet there is very little mention of it. My tone for the past 2 years (with the exception if the hollow body) has not changed and does not change with the time period and is really nothing like Weir's...... Just my observation....... I frankly could care less about Jeff's tone... What I care about is the MUSIC...... Jeff makes me a better player and that is something I don't say lightly! I seem to remember the same bickering about Rob B when he started playing with us....... I guess it's part of change. This will be a new chapter in DSO's evolution and those expecting it to be the same might be surprised to find it's not exactly the same. What it will be is high quality Grateful Dead Music like it has always been. I guess if it doesn't work for the listener then there is always Furthur with JK. John will NOT be back with DSO in the future (his choice not ours) and that is something we will all have to deal with and accept. If DSO without JK is something people don't like then there is always Furthur or JK's side projects when Furthur is done..... But please give us time to get a feel for our new lineup and allow us to grow into it! Remember we didn't ask for this but have no choice but to move on and do the very best we can.......

Rob, thanks for chiming in on this subject. I believe you are the first band member to tackle this topic head on, and I for one really appreciate it. I have tickets for 12/29 & 12/31 and I can't wait.

Happy holidays to you and the band. Here's to another rockin' new year! :cheers:

Certainly didn't mean to step on any toes there Rob. That was not my intention. I fully intend on supporting you guy's just as much as I've always done and I will also do the same for Furthur, John, Phil, and Bobby in any future projects. That is unless the music just doesn't move me any more and I really don't see that happening.

I am also quite grateful and thankful for what you guy's and gal do and the sacrifices that you guy's make to bring us the music and live experience.

As far as notes, phrasing etc. goes, I'm glad that Jeff makes you a better player and I do remember you saying that about Rob B.. That sure has worked out just fine and I'm sure this will as well. I guess my ear for the bass tone is not quite up to speed. I'm sorry, and I will certainly take your word for it because you have logged a lot more miles with this music than I ever will and after all, you are the professional here. Lead guitar tone.........sorry again man, but I love what I love and I want it that way. I guess I should say, I hope to have it that way. I'm certainly not meaning to offend you, Jeff or anyone else in the band and not at all saying that Jeff won't have it. From the interview, it certainly seems like that is what he is trying to achieve. Lord knows the attention to detail has always been Dead on, so I guess I shouldn't have written anything. I'm sorry again.

As far as giving you time. Bro, I got faith in you and the rest of band and I'm sure that everything is gonna be just fine. All that being said, be sure and tell Jeff to order the Hard Truckers JG1 2x12 Cabinet and to dig out some old pedals such as my Mutron III and Mutron Octave Divider to help get those classic Jerry tones like he mentioned in the interview.

Happy Holidays to you and the rest of the band, crew, website folk etc. and thank you once again.

• Advisory Board

Thanks Rob,

For me, I really don't know anything except I love the way DSO plays! All the discussion about tone and stuff goes beyond my ears as a fan. The band just captures the sound and feeling for me and that's all I need to know.

You guys have all the time and trust you need from your fans, myself included. I have never been dissapointed and know that in the capable hands of the DSO professionals we fans will continue to reap the benefits. We trust you. This band has more than proven themselves.

Enjoy the holidays everyone!

Dr. B B)

Take all the time it takes, Rob! There are growing pains everywhere in the scene right now, that is for sure. Things are stirred up and everyone, including us fans, is doing the best they can to find their way and feel at home with the changes.

I can't wait to hear my first live gigs with Mattson when Stu and I fly out to be at the Milwaukee/Chicago run. Our ears, hearts, and minds are totally open and our love for DSO will never, ever, ever fade away!!!

Indeed the band has more than proven themselves Dr. B. And as Robin said, take all the time that it takes Rob. I think that as long as you guy's love playing together and you are enjoying yourselves, it will come out in the music. I've loved DSO since the first note of Promised Land on 2/16/02. I was so happy to hear that sound again. I've loved all the different versions of Phil and Friends(some more than others) and I've loved Ratdog, and any other band that can play Grateful Dead music at a high level. To me, DSO has captured the sound of the GD more than any of the other bands. I didn't think many of Phil's players had the "Jerry tone" that I love so much, but I was still lovin' it. I guess the Jerry tone for my untrained ear comes out in Steve Kimock, Barry Sless, and John K. I hope I hear it in Jeff as well, but regardless I'm sure I will be diggin' it and I will be supporting it. A fella can still hope though:).

Guest Lisacat

what does tone mean anyway? I really don't know....I know what I hear and what I heard with Mattson so far has been great- well more than great. Looking forward to the NYE run and more!

Happy Holidays everyone!!!!

Guest deadheadmike

Rob , Furthur is kinda like being with a super hot sexy chick that is taking you to the brink of ecstacy and just before you reach that point , she blows a nasty fart ... DSO never blows a fart ... take your time to do what is needed to keep our favorite band running like a well oiled machine and we'll all be there to support and enjoy what you guys do .

• Forum MVP
Lead guitar tone.........sorry again man, but I love what I love and I want it that way. I guess I should say, I hope to have it that way.

I get what you are saying and you are certainly not the first to say it. I'm sure you can understand how it is strange to hear this all the time for some fans. Especially people who think Garcia had his sound and John had his sound. I don't think John sounds like Garcia on guitar at all--but I know many people do. I certainly can hear the influence Garcia has had on John but more importantly, to me, I don't see how the tone you are hearing has anything to do with whether or not it moves you. Wouldn't you rather hear something that moves you than something that is played in a familiar tone? Maybe your point is that it is Garcia's tone that moves you the most but I would argue that, when you go see someone play this music, the actual playing will be much more important regarding whether or not you are moved than the tone. That dopamine that is either release or not released in your brain, in my opinion and in the long run, will have more to do with the playing than the tone. In a more shallow and less real way, the tone might make a difference, but in the end it will be the playing. I strongly believe that.

Like I said, I totally get where you are coming from, but I just think you will be surprised at how little the tone, whatever it is, will mean to you verse the playing when it really comes down to it.

Guest eyesofvermont

All I can say is my first show with JM (can we start calling him that now?) in Ithaca on 11/18 was absolutely epic (I already posted it in the requests forum, but PLEASE Mr. Eaton if you could remaster and make that one available I'd be eternally grateful - I was having almost as much fun on the rail as it looked like you were having up on stage playing with Jeff). Sure, JM's tone hasn't been exactly Jerry-ish, but man when he gets going, he hits places even ol' Jer might not have made it to.

• Forum MVP

"My first band in high school was called Hypnocracy and we played all kinds of stuff, including my first stabs at Grateful Dead songs. Our basic philosophy was whatever song we played we jammed on it as long as we could! That pretty much holds today."

sounds good to me!!

• Forum MVP
I didn't think many of Phil's players had the "Jerry tone" that I love so much, but I was still lovin' it. I guess the Jerry tone for my untrained ear comes out in Steve Kimock, Barry Sless, and John K.

I think this is in large part because both Phil and Bobby have gone out of their way to have their lead guitarists not sound like Jerry. That's what make Furthur so intriguing. It's as if they have finally come full circle and embraced the concept to have a player who plays with tonal and phrasing similarities to Garcia.

As for the "tone" of JK being more Garciaesque than any other player, my understanding is that this is due in large part to his gear being rigged in the unique and innovative way that Garcia's was, with the signal routing through the effects devices at full pick-up volume and coming back to the guitar such that now the volume knobs are post effects. I'm sure this is an overly simplified explanation so anyone with more technical knowledge of stage gear please feel free to step in.

In any event, it's no accident that now and then JK plays a riff and it's just spooky, as if Jerry is still with us.

But as other have pointed out, if you can't play then tone don't do a whole lot for you.

• Forum MVP
I get what you are saying and you are certainly not the first to say it. I'm sure you can understand how it is strange to hear this all the time for some fans. Especially people who think Garcia had his sound and John had his sound. I don't think John sounds like Garcia on guitar at all--but I know many people do. I certainly can hear the influence Garcia has had on John but more importantly, to me, I don't see how the tone you are hearing has anything to do with whether or not it moves you. Wouldn't you rather hear something that moves you than something that is played in a familiar tone? Maybe your point is that it is Garcia's tone that moves you the most but I would argue that, when you go see someone play this music, the actual playing will be much more important regarding whether or not you are moved than the tone. That dopamine that is either release or not released in your brain, in my opinion and in the long run, will have more to do with the playing than the tone. In a more shallow and less real way, the tone might make a difference, but in the end it will be the playing. I strongly believe that.

Like I said, I totally get where you are coming from, but I just think you will be surprised at how little the tone, whatever it is, will mean to you verse the playing when it really comes down to it.

I personally think that guitar tone IS important, especially for this music. Yes, hitting the right notes is very important. But if it was just about the right notes, then I wouldn't think much of Jerry as a vocalist. Technically he wasn't a great singer. But he conveyed so much emotion with his singing that he became probably my favorite vocalist. Guitar tone for the Jerry parts is very important to me, and I became rather spoiled by JK's Jerryesque tone (yes, I think he achieved an eerily Jerry-like guitar tone). BTW, I've always loved the tone that Jerry got from his '67-'70 rig.......Strat? It was very different from the sound he eventually settled on years later. It had an edge and a whipping quality that I've always felt kicked ass. I'd love to hear DSO tackle some of the GD material and sound from that era. I love the drum sound from those days as well.......lots of intricate, crackling snare work and terrific cymbal tones.....especially the ride cymbal.

All that being said......I am very psyched to check out JM and the new version of DSO. I recall being skeptical that the new keyboardist would hold a candle to Scott. Well, Rob B. quelled that concern in a hurry........thanks Rob!

Peace to all.

• Forum MVP
But if it was just about the right notes, then I wouldn't think much of Jerry as a vocalist. Technically he wasn't a great singer. But he conveyed so much emotion with his singing that he became probably my favorite vocalist.

That's kind of my point. Did Garcia's voice move you because of the tone or did it move you because of the kind of singer he was--that he really KNEW how to sing--that he was able to get inside a character he was singing about and do it in a way that was so real, it made you FEEL....in capital letters.

I get that people want to hear a similar guitar tone to the one they heard with Garcia (even though, as you pointed out, that tone changed depending on the year). I get that people feel a connection with that kind of sound and they feel that John stayed true to it--and they don't want to lose that with DSO. My point is that everyone is either going to be moved by whoever is playing lead guitar or they are not, and that tone is going to have, in the long run, very little to do with it.

I, like everyone else, am mourning the fact that John and the musicians that comprise DSO will not be playing together again. I have to say I am surprised, as I was one who very much felt as though they would be playing together again.

jerrys tone was different every decade. and so was his gear. he kept changing.

all he cared about first and formost was playing, making the music happen. the rest will follow.

gear is a side dish to the main course.

btw check out tone king amps .. talk about tone. hand built , hand wired. one of the best.

• Forum MVP
I guess if it doesn't work for the listener then there is always Furthur with JK. John will NOT be back with DSO in the future (his choice not ours) and that is something we will all have to deal with and accept. If DSO without JK is something people don't like then there is always Furthur or JK's side projects when Furthur is done..... But please give us time to get a feel for our new lineup and allow us to grow into it! Remember we didn't ask for this but have no choice but to move on and do the very best we can.......

Dude were not going anywhere.You said it yourself....DSO is bigger than any one person. Well our love is bigger than a Cadillac....you'll see.

• Forum MVP
True that...I should have said the Death at Bridgeport...

But yep - Princeton! That truly is one of the most phenomenal things ever.

I've watched this eyes on youtube a number of times now I and I gotta say it is truly amazing. never heard dso jam so hard on eyes...really, really excited for new years. :dsorocks:

I was lucky enough to get to go to see Jeff's first show with DSO at Princeton NJ .IT WAS OFF THE HOOK .The whole show was great ,after all the stuff that was going on with JK leaving and Jeff coming really didn't know what to expect ,was there to support the band as we always do and it was F$CKING GREAT. Rob thanks to all the band ,really don't think THIS BAND NEEDS ANYTIME TO GET THINGS WORKED OUT. DSO never let me or us down on any night .HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO ALL THE DSO MEMBERS AND FAMILY.SEE YA ON THE NEW YEARS RUN. PEACE DAVE

• Forum MVP

If we need to assert our support, I will continue to support every member of DSO in any project that they choose to pursue. DSO and the members of its band have become an integral part of my life.

Unless the new incarnation of DSO really sucks (which I know they don't cause I've seen 2 amazing shows already), Rob and the rest of the band can count on me being there to support them many many many times this year.

I hope to see you guys in Norfolk (some issues may have arisen), but I will most definitely see you guys in Richmond and for the New Year. I am pretty sure we can expect some (in the words of the honorable Chuckie V) epic stuff during the New Years run. Additionally, while giving shout outs, I will certainly be getting loose (right Teacher) over the New Years with DSO.

Also, Rob we need time too. The bitching will stop with time.

• Forum MVP

Rick -

any post where you reference Chuck Vegas and myself in correct context... is well... a post that is not only getting loose but epic as well !!

card well played my friend !!

have fun during the NYE run... I will be thinking about everyone...

we will see you down the road... it might not be until the next West Coast run ... but it shall happen

Archived