Really, Massachusetts?

blythalala

• Forum MVP
I refer back to the START of this thread... it was not by someone who "SLANTS TOWARD THE RIGHT" ..

Good point.

And to furthur your argument, neither was the Obama thread, which was posted by someone who slants towards the middle.

That reminds me Herdy...you've been straddling the fence between good and evil for a while now and I have one question for ya--aren't your balls beginning to hurt?

Before anyone takes this post too seriously (I know you're out there)...it's just a joke.

Maybe a bad one, but just a joke (and stolen from Jim Morrison no less--although he was talking about something else).

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest deadheadmike
Good point.

And to furthur your argument, neither was the Obama thread, which was posted by someone who slants towards the middle.

That reminds me Herdy...you've been straddling the fence between good and evil for a while now and I have one question for ya--aren't your balls beginning to hurt?

Before anyone takes this post too seriously (I know you're out there)...it's just a joke.

Maybe a bad one, but just a joke (and stolen from Jim Morrison no less--although he was talking about something else).

:rofl:

Not only US Corporations set up companies in China. Get you fact straight. Give me an example of when China has followed our leed? Was it in freedom? Human rights? Wake up! The Chicoms do not care about what we do. They just want us to keep buying their cheap shit so they can expand their army. Oh, and they will continue to buy our debt to feed our addiction to the cheap shit they sell us.

Stop buying cheap shit.

Re-evaluate what you need and don't need. One benifit of this Republican created recession is that it has forced (some)people to think more about what they actually need and distinguishing that from what they want.

Support re-using, recycling etc..

Support local agriculture and consider food miles.

Stop buying cheap shit.

Re-evaluate what you need and don't need. One benifit of this Republican created recession is that it has forced (some)people to think more about what they actually need and distinguishing that from what they want.

Support re-using, recycling etc..

Support local agriculture and consider food miles.

Yes, J J I do support my local farmer in the summer months here and never buy any produce that is not grown here in the USA. Believe me and take this for what it is worth, you do not want to eat anything which is not grown in this country.

I also help with the recycling of scrap metal. When I see people throwing away things like weight sets or small appliances, I take them down to the scrap metal place and get $$ for them. Electrical motors have a lot of copper in them and copper was getting up there in price until the recession hit.

The Republican created recession comment is a good one! I guess you call it that because Bush was President when the recession started. Well let

Guest jazz-man

The deregulation that started this mess stared with Ronald Reagan and the collapse came under Bush's watch. Bill Clinton didn't do anything to stop it, he helped. This didn't happen in 2 or 3 years. Do a little digging around.

I swear that if Obama discovered the cure for cancer Sean Hannity (or Rush Limbaugh) would say "what'd wrong with curing the common cold? Lots more people get that than cancer". I swear they would.

A coworker has been telling me stories of her 2 years in Africa with the Peace Corp. Holy shit, we are lazy, pampered motherfuckers! All of us have to pare back our lifestyles more. Since I am under water there's not much that I can cut, just juggle the bills and try to hold my breath.

• Advisory Board
And to Furthur your argument, neither was the Obama thread, which was posted by someone who slants towards the middle.

Yeah, my balls do hurt occasionally, but then I just rub them.... I like to rub them... I often hope that they hurt a bit so I have an excuse to rub them... I like straddling the fence.. Everyone should do it... might make the world a better place...

Note to the world.... Straddle the fence for political reasons, or just so you have an excuse to rub your balls, or whatever your fancy.... Live it, learn it, rub it....

• Advisory Board
Note to the world.... Straddle the fence for political reasons, or just so you have an excuse to rub your balls, or whatever your fancy.... Live it, learn it, rub it....

you never fail, dearest. what WOULD we do without you?!

Are you ashamed of something?

haha. probably, though nothing is coming to mind at present.

• Forum MVP
The deregulation that started this mess stared with Ronald Reagan and the collapse came under Bush's watch. Bill Clinton didn't do anything to stop it, he helped. This didn't happen in 2 or 3 years. Do a little digging around.

I swear that if Obama discovered the cure for cancer Sean Hannity (or Rush Limbaugh) would say "what'd wrong with curing the common cold? Lots more people get that than cancer". I swear they would.

A coworker has been telling me stories of her 2 years in Africa with the Peace Corp. Holy shit, we are lazy, pampered motherfuckers! All of us have to pare back our lifestyles more. Since I am under water there's not much that I can cut, just juggle the bills and try to hold my breath.

Absolutely agree 100%. And our government should do the same.

• Forum MVP

"

yep yep. scary combination, too, as we've proven over the last decade or so. i encounter it daily in my work for planned parenthood; apparently it's better to just hope that young people in this country won't have sex than to educate them about how to do it safely. how well has that been working out for our teen pregnancy and sexually transmitted infection rates? njjohn, shall i send over the data for you to sign off on? i've got it. teens who take virginity pledges, for example, generally do wait longer to have sex than teens who don't. BUT when they do have sex, they are less likely to use protection, and therefore have higher rates of pregnancy and infection. why are these kids uneducated and getting pregnant and/or sick? because narrow-minded fantasy land dwellers are focusing only on the ONE piece of data that supports their ideology: that kids who take virginity pledges will wait longer to have sex. but what good is that doing anyone in the end? including taxpayers who -- gasp, i know you guys love this sort of thing -- are going to have to pay for medical procedures/care for information-deprived kids who are in trouble. does that seem reasonable to you? generally, starting with the data and allowing that to inform an opinion or ideology seems more reasonable to me than starting with the ideology and finding the data to support it. but perhaps that's just me."

This is a parent's job not a school or government job. Kids talk to each other, they know what the deal is with safe sex. I went to a Catholic school many years ago where it was never mentioned but we were all prepared with a condom in our wallets by 8th grade :D

"now, come again? because china is worse, we should ignore what we're doing to the planet therein assuming that all the other parts of this elusive data of which you speak doesn't apply to us? it's like a smoker who says "well, something's going to get me in the end anyway so who cares that i'm killing myself with cigarettes?" do you not hold the smoker accountable when (s)he gets lung cancer? "

I have not read anything in this thread arguing that we should not do what we can for the environment. We have come a long way in the last 40 years and I believe that will continue, which is a good thing, but a nation's economy has to be prepared to make those changes and this takes time and development.

"i can't understand why we are so all about playing to some ridiculous fantasy land-inspired ideal instead of to the reality. sure, reality when it comes to climate change isn't a fun thing to face, but pretending that the earth is somehow going to fix itself is so delusional that i find myself hard-pressed to come up with words that make sense as a response. and when am i ever at a loss for words? "

The earth will heal itself completely, when we are gone. There is no need to worry about the earth, it will be fine. I completely agree that eh earth is warming, I assume it has been since the Ice age. I also believe after it is done warming it will cool down again. Humans may or may not have an effect on this, but if they do it is very small. We are intelligent humans and will adapt to the change in the environment as it comes.

i agree with jack jones when he said he can't imagine much will change your mind. so this is probably a useless post. but i am just incredulous. and now i'm going for a run.

• Forum MVP
Why do people often vote against their own interests?

Political scientist Dr David Runciman looks at why is there often such deep opposition to reforms that appear to be of obvious benefit to voters.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8474611.stm

A good article from the BBC.

There is a lot of truth to that. If there is one thing American's don't like it is someone who claims they know what is best for us better than we do.

• Forum MVP

I missed the hullabaloo over ending the politics forum. It's probably OK. I like a little political chat now and again, and most everyone around here seems pretty damn nice about it. The occasional tension might come from the the country's ideological chart which makes our happy crowd here look like it's standing on its head. At least Obama the Boy Wonder moved the needle for about 10 minutes. :D

kbbslvggvkexv3o8tr8f8q.gif

Are you talking about the same government that should have been developing alternative energy sources since the oil embargo of the 70's? The same government that missed the S&L crisis of the 80's? And you want a Government run health insurance system? This is how you know there is something wrong with the housing/banking system: When a guy making 25K/year qualifies for a 0% down mortgage from our government ( fanny mae or freddy mac). Now we use our tax dollare to bail out fanny & freddy. When asked by a Republican led committee in 2004, Barney Frank said fannie and freddy were fine. So I ask you again, you want a guy like Barney Frank in charge of Government run health isurance?

Guest jazz-man

If this country had adopted Jimmy Carter's energy plan we'd be laughing.

I'd rather have government run healthcare than private run healthcare. And so would Swedes, Germans, Canadians, French, Danes, Japanese, Australians, British, Dutch, Spaniards, Fins, etc. If everyone else can figure it out why can't this country?

Guest jazz-man

BTW we can discuss and agree/disagree but name calling has no place in this. Someone said "Obama The Wonder Boy" and that's childish so please be civil.

Guest jazz-man

No "lighten up"! If you can't discuss things in a civil manner then please refrain from joining the discussion. It doesn't matter if someone called Obama a name or Rush Limbaugh or me or you, the rules of common decency apply. This space is a gift and to spit on it is not cool.

• Advisory Board
No "lighten up"! If you can't discuss things in a civil manner then please refrain from joinging the discussion. It doesn't matter if someone called Obama a name or Rush Limbaugh or me or you, the rules of common decency apply. This space is a gift and to spit on it is not cool.

Yeah, gotta agree with Rick... lighten up... I've never seen the "rules of common decency", so I don't know how to be decent...

shit, piss, fuck...

see?!

• Forum MVP

I want things to be civil too, but raising flags over someone, anyone being called Wonderboy seems a little extreme. I guess some people see things different. I think you would be right to point out that someone's argument may be hurt though the use of sarcasm and cynicism, but to decide you don't want to debate or discuss because of the sight of cynicism seems to be a bit of an over reaction.

• Advisory Board
Yeah, gotta agree with Rick... lighten up... I've never seen the "rules of common decency", so I don't know how to be decent...

i'm fedexing you a copy. keep an eye out for it, as i think it will require a signature

Guest jazz-man

If anyone doesn't know how to act decently and courteously towards folks they don't agree with, well, I just don't know what to say. In the day there were folks in the lot who would try to "keep the scene clean" and keep things working smoothly. Name calling isn't helpful and reflects back to the name caller showing their intolerance and foolishness. We all lose our heads at times and say things that aren't helpful but personally trying to minimize these times and throwing out the odd apology go a long way. I'm not Miss Manners but please let's stop the name calling and discuss things seriously.

It's occurred to me how well the Republicans have sold the idea over the last several decades that "government is bad" while they appoint unqualified guys like "Brownie" to run FEMA and make a mess of things and not do their job. then blame government. Corporations haven't brought us paid lunch breaks, Social Security, vacations, environmental protection, etc. Left to themselves (to be unregulated which is how the Conservatives and Libertarians want it) we'd have work conditions like back in the Charles Dickens days with their filthy and dangerous working conditions, working 6 days a week or more, no vacations, etc. Government can run a healthcare system better than corporations. Or tell me of an alternative?

Archived