Really, Massachusetts?

blythalala

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply
One thing does upset me... all the other Republicans on this board who are afraid to come forward and say you are proud to be Republican because you don't want to lose your "cool" status in terms of this board (you know who you are)... sad.. you should be happy that you support certain things and not others.. I sure the heck am.

Matt - I am a registered Republican but think of myself more like a independent conservative, I did not vote for Obama or McCain, but I did vote in 2008. What happened in Mass., NJ, VA is no real surprise. Cokely was a weak candidate whose message was ill received. She took votes for granted, the #1 mistake in politics. The message is clear though, move to the center or risk your political career. It is funny and shocking how things have changed in a year. I think there was a lot of hope that Obama would change things in Washington. The reality so far is he has hyper expanded the Bush policies of deficit spending, and spent our kids and grandkids money on bank bailouts, automaker bailouts, and the people are still losing jobs. Let me make this clear, I did not like Bush either. I think these wars need to be ended, not expanded. On almost every point Obama campaigned on, ending the war, transparency in government, jobs, he has failed to provide leadership and I am frustrated and it seems the American people are as well.

Guest jazz-man

Doctors need roughly 10 or 11 years of post-secondary education. Lawyers need 4 to get a law degree. I have 4 years post-secondary. I don't make $150+ per hour. IMHO lawyers are not justified in their fees, but that's a whole 'nother disussion.

I try to not see Republican or Democrat. I try to see if a bill is good for the most people or not. Balancing environmetal concerns with cost and benefit. See if a law will take away our freedoms, benefit people rather than only corporations. Too many lawmakers of both party have sold themselves to the highest bidder or simply follow the party line or do what will get them elected. That's beyond the pale, those kind of people don't represent me! I try to do the right thing and I would expect my elected people to do the same but, quite frankly, most of them don't.

I have a relative who was elected to 2 terms in the Canadian Parliament. He said he couldn't take any more of the crap that is politics and returned to farming. He immediately started to receive a pension since he served two terms. A pension, who gets a pension anymore? And to get it while you continue to work another job and not wait until retirement age. ..We are told that this kind of benefit is needed to get the top people to serve since they can make more $$ in private business. To me these seem to be exactly the wrong type of people. They live a very comfortable lifestyle and forget those deciding how to pay heating and food and medicine bills, deciding which one not to pay. I would like to see representatives who actually represent ME and not the lawyer earning $150+ per hour. BTW 56 Senators have law degrees (out of 100 Senators). Interesting.

point taken, and respectfully. i also completely agree about coakley; anyone who has been paying even a little bit of attention lately would have to agree that her campaign was a disaster. absolutely, the democrats messed up. i think they probably had to work pretty hard to lose a democratic senate race in massachusetts! i also agree that it's unfortunate the parties have become this polarized. however, i don't think i'm overreacting. did i miss something or has senator-elect brown offered a preferred approach to health care reform? and healthcare is just one issue. republican filibusters can now be used to stop legislation on global warming, clean energy, education, and financial institution regulation, etc...

i stick by my initial insertion that this is NOT a good thing. i, too, by the way, am from mass.

now... yes, dave! how about that gratefulfest? yay.

So you prefer a government which:

1. Refuses to let another party to participate in the decision to reform 1/6 of the US economy for the 10% of the people who do not have health insurance?

2. Makes sleazy closed door back room deals for certain states and unions which supported the election of Obama?

3. Chose to treat terrorist, who were involved in the murder of 3000 Americans in the attacks on 9/11, as common criminals by granting them constitutional rights?

For one year, this administration had a super majority in the house and senate. They could have done passed any bill they wanted without any help from Republicans. The Democrats had to resort to unconstitutional health insurance mandates, sleazy backroom deals and tax break for unions and special intrests. Not to mention the out of control spending, on stimulus which has done nothing but line the pockets of Wall Street bankers and auto company CEO's. The people of Mass. said enough of this crap. The people of VA said enough of this crap. The people of the great state of NJ said enough of this crap. In November 2010 the rest of the country will have their chance to say enough of this crap.

• Forum MVP
So you prefer a government which:

1. Refuses to let another party to participate in the decision to reform 1/6 of the US economy for the 10% of the people who do not have health insurance?

2. Makes sleazy closed door back room deals for certain states and unions which supported the election of Obama?

3. Chose to treat terrorist, who were involved in the murder of 3000 Americans in the attacks on 9/11, as common criminals by granting them constitutional rights?

For one year, this administration had a super majority in the house and senate. They could have done passed any bill they wanted without any help from Republicans. The Democrats had to resort to unconstitutional health insurance mandates, sleazy backroom deals and tax break for unions and special intrests. Not to mention the out of control spending, on stimulus which has done nothing but line the pockets of Wall Street bankers and auto company CEO's. The people of Mass. said enough of this crap. The people of VA said enough of this crap. The people of the great state of NJ said enough of this crap. In November 2010 the rest of the country will have their chance to say enough of this crap.

1. Republican propsed absolutely nothing for health care reform. It is the party of no and as much as I hate to admit it, a rather effective tactic.

2. Sleazy back door deals??? Never ever did that happen under a republican congress. It's part of politics, senators are elected by states and for the most part are solely interested in satisfying their constituents.

3. No human rights for anyone accused of a crime, waterboarding and torture for all. Part of the constiution, no matter how heinous the crime, guarantee of a fair trial.

Your right, dissapointing that the dems couldn't get their shit together to pass healthcare reform, breaks my heart. We will never know what the stimulas package did or didn't do. We have ten percent unemployment because we can't make anything anymore. It's all in blue collar manufactoring jobs, tough to fix. Mass public works jobs will do that but only temporarily. Out of control spending??? How much has the pointless war in Iraq cost us in $$ and lives.

I guess my point on this as I have seen the light, I'm not changing anyone's mind, and neither are you. I'm done with arguing politics, music is the escape....

• Advisory Board
1. Republican propsed absolutely nothing for health care reform. It is the party of no and as much as I hate to admit it, a rather effective tactic.

2. Sleazy back door deals??? Never ever did that happen under a republican congress. It's part of politics, senators are elected by states and for the most part are solely interested in satisfying their constituents.

3. No human rights for anyone accused of a crime, waterboarding and torture for all. Part of the constiution, no matter how heinous the crime, guarantee of a fair trial.

new york, haha. last night i wrote a response to the previous post, but was at work, got distracted, and didn't wind up posting it. i laughed out loud this morning because when i came back here to rewrite something, you had done it for me. i wish you could have seen what i wrote last night because my responses to the numbered bullets were exactly the same. like, alarmingly so. love it.

and njjohn, if you're asking me if i'd prefer your bulleted points (please refer to new york steve's feedback regarding specifics on that front) to the list i could compile at present re: the republican party, then the answer is a resounding YES.

Guest jazz-man

Remember Dick Cheney and the mysterious group of energy execs who drafted our energy policy? No backroom deal there, eh? He still won't release the minutes to that meeting.

What is the Republicans healthcare position? I think it's clear that I want National Healthcare like all of Europe has and I view this 'reform' as not much. What is the Republican's plan for healthcare? Besides don't get sick and if you do, please die fast. Really, does anyone know the Republicans plan for healthcare?

Your right, dissapointing that the dems couldn't get their shit together to pass healthcare reform, breaks my heart. We will never know what the stimulas package did or didn't do. We have ten percent unemployment because we can't make anything anymore. It's all in blue collar manufactoring jobs, tough to fix. Mass public works jobs will do that but only temporarily. Out of control spending??? How much has the pointless war in Iraq cost us in $$ and lives.

I guess my point on this as I have seen the light, I'm not changing anyone's mind, and neither are you. I'm done with arguing politics, music is the escape....

NY Steve - The Republicans have offered many alternatives and plan for health insurance reform only to be voted down in committee or not heard at all in the back room deals cut by Pelosi and Reed. You are correct when you say that back room deals are part of politics, however, not when it comes to 1/6 of the nation

Remember Dick Cheney and the mysterious group of energy execs who drafted our energy policy? No backroom deal there, eh? He still won't release the minutes to that meeting.

What is the Republicans healthcare position? I think it's clear that I want National Healthcare like all of Europe has and I view this 'reform' as not much. What is the Republican's plan for healthcare? Besides don't get sick and if you do, please die fast. Really, does anyone know the Republicans plan for healthcare?

Trial lawyers contributed the most money to the Obama election campaign fund. It is no surprise that the plans pushed through the house and senate did not contain any meaningful TORT reform. One of the plans Republicans offered is meaningful TORT reform. Trial lawyers dont like this because it would cut into some of those fat cat mansions they are able to afford. This should make JFolks happy. Another idea offered by Republicans is being able to buy health insurance across state like. This creates more competition and would lower cost as it has done with auto insurance. Another idea from Republicans is portability. If you leave your job, for whatever reason, your health insurance follows you. Another idea in the Republican plan is no denial of insurance for pre existing conditions. Also no caps or limits to your health insurance coverage. I look forward to a bipartisan Bill which encompasses some ideas from each party to come out of Congress in the future.

Well, come on all of you, big strong men,

Uncle Sam needs your help again.

He's got himself in a terrible jam

Way down yonder in Afghanistan

So put down your books and pick up a gun,

We're gonna have a whole lotta fun.

And it's one, two, three,

What are we fighting for ?

Don't ask me, I don't give a damn,

Next stop is Afghanistan;

And it's five, six, seven,

Open up the pearly gates,

Well there ain't no time to wonder why,

Whoopee! we're all gonna die.

Come on mothers throughout the land,

Pack your boys off to Afghanistan.

Come on fathers, and don't hesitate

To send your sons off before it's too late.

And you can be the first ones in your block

To have your boy come home in a box.

Country Joe McDonald (paraphrased)

Just for the record

3000 people died on 911

5318 soldiers have died fighting in Afghanistan and Iraq

$952,879,873,237 is the cost of the wars to date

45,000 Americans die each year directly related to not having health insurance.

Thanks for keeping score. War sucks any way you look at it. I do not know how you can say 45000 Americans die because they do not have health insurance. You will never be turned down for at an emergency room, if you are too poor, there is Medicaid, and if you are over 65, you have Medicare. I would like to know how you arrived at this figure.

Guest jazz-man

Oh Sarah (or more accurately her body double)!!

Many people can't afford to see a doctor for their basic care so they end up going to the ER after early measures are no longer helpful and they are flat out SICK. No early care =more dire consequences for people's health. Therefore these people end up dying due to lack of health coverage. I see this in the hospital every day.

Using unions as any excuse is laughable. Union memeber only make up 7% of the workforce. Union memebership was 25% of the workforce when Reagan became president. I worked at union hospitals before my current hospital and the difference is remarkable. The ring wingers have been very successful in their attacks and creating the myth that unions and lawsuits are the biggest evils. More than 60% of bankruptcies are due to medical bills.

Guest deadheadmike
Oh Sarah (or more accurately her body double)!!

Quite a double :):) ... don't they make ya wanna lean a little right ;) ... and if ya go right , ya can't go wrong !!!

Thanks for keeping score. War sucks any way you look at it. I do not know how you can say 45000 Americans die because they do not have health insurance. You will never be turned down for at an emergency room, if you are too poor, there is Medicaid, and if you are over 65, you have Medicare. I would like to know how you arrived at this figure.

This is how I can say that 45,000 Americans die from lack of health insurance:

http://prescriptions.blogs.nytimes.com/200...-deaths-a-year/

Archived