Really, Massachusetts?

blythalala

• Forum MVP
Well I have to say that your post about the planet healing itself is just about the most foolish thing I've ever read on this site. You honestly can't be serious.

I have to pay Fox their due. They really know how to make shit up and convince people (who obviously don't think for themselves or question much of what they hear) to think whatever Fox wants them to. They are the masters of lies, hatred and fear. I challenge any sane and independantly thinking person to watch more than 5 minutes of Sean Hannity or Glenn Beck. They deal in hatred and lies without shame. When confronted with the truth Sean just mutters "no, no" and changes the subject. Glenn Beck is just a nutty guy who makes himself cry to gain sympathy for him or his point of view. Bill O'Reilly has mellowed and seems to book attractive women onto his show to gaze at them and dream of them in a shower with him and his loofah (per the sexual harrassment suit against Bill). His lying is kindly, gentler. When confronted with the truth he yells and gets PO'd and cuts the microphone of whomever pisses him off. If not for the Simpson's there'd be no reason to turn on Fox, they are a travesty.

Yep.....

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP

I don't watch Fox news or Beck or any of the other people you mentioned....could not pick them out of a lineup... BUT it sure looks like you do...

the planet can heal itself.... it has been around quite some time and will be around quite some more time... like I said even when our time is up... we would be foolish to think we are the last step of evolution...

If you are interested in watch I watch on TV...which by the way is not much... I have not watched TV since last Friday night (On The Waterfront with Brando and Vivian Leigh) .... but I did watch the State of the Union with my class as I taped it...

I do watch:

1. Ohio State Football on Saturday's in the fall

2. Always Sunny In Philadelphia

3. Rescue Me

4. Classic Movies (see above)

5. Charles Barkley and Kenny Smith on TNT NBA Roundup... those Cats are FUNNY

that is about it except maybe every once in awhile "How I Met Your Mother" or "Two and a Half Men"

again notice nothing of this FOX NEWS that you speak of...a show which is one that you can quote... interesting... very interesting

• Forum MVP
I have to pay Fox their due. They really know how to make shit up and convince people (who obviously don't think for themselves or question much of what they hear) to think whatever Fox wants them to. They are the masters of lies, hatred and fear. I challenge any sane and independantly thinking person to watch more than 5 minutes of Sean Hannity or Glenn Beck. They deal in hatred and lies without shame. When confronted with the truth Sean just mutters "no, no" and changes the subject. Glenn Beck is just a nutty guy who makes himself cry to gain sympathy for him or his point of view. Bill O'Reilly has mellowed and seems to book attractive women onto his show to gaze at them and dream of them in a shower with him and his loofah (per the sexual harrassment suit against Bill). His lying is kindly, gentler. When confronted with the truth he yells and gets PO'd and cuts the microphone of whomever pisses him off. If not for the Simpson's there'd be no reason to turn on Fox, they are a travesty.

I tend to agree with you about the political opinion shows. I eat up the cable chat, but really cannot stand Beck or Hannity. Even though I'm pretty conservative/libertarian and tend to vote GOP, I can see that these two are about as repulsive and phony as Olbermann and Maddow. I'm not sure why anyone likes listening to sycophantic cheerleaders. Beck and Hannity engage in the pretense of having guests who disagree with them, but really they're only punching bags. Olbermann and Maddow don't even fake it. They just host smarmy echo chambers. Who is that Gollum-like little dweeb Richard Wolffe that Olbermann has on to tell him how smart he is? Yikes! Even if he agreed with me, I'm not sure I'd broadcast the creepy lap dog act on TV for my friends and family to see.

For some at least minimal give and take, I tend to prefer Matthews (for an Obama shill who likes to invite legit guests to argue with) and O'Reilly (for the over-sold populist schtick and, of course, the babes)!

• Forum MVP
The first Corporation to throw it's hat in the ring. The 8th District in MD. According to their website, They don't want to be a middle man anymore.

http://www.murrayhillincforcongress.com/

An interview with the Designated Human(DH) of Murray Hill

Shareholder meetings and solicitation of proxy votes will be even more fun now...

Guest jazz-man

I watch Fox for a few minutes every couple of days because I think it's important to see what the other team is talking about. I usually can't take more than 1-2 minutes before I swear and change the channels. It's an odd thing when an entertainment show (John Stewart) is more newsy than the regular TV shows. I'd vote for anyone who wants to do what's best for people and not just to push their agenda or vote with their party or, even worse, shill for corporations. Corporate States Of America, get used to it. Or USA, a subsidiary of Chase/Bechtel/Haliburton, etc. Shameful.

BTW Matt I didn't say you watched Fox. You do sometimes mirror their bullet points though.

Actually, this is somewhat true but you also emphasise my point exactly. Look at the pollution and human rights violations of the countries you mentioned!

Regulation is essential BECAUSE companies exist to make profits. When things like people's rights and environmental concerns get in the way of those profits it is regulation that is intended to thwart these companies from commiting those offenses.

There are a number of reasons why we have lost manufacturing jobs here and even if we didn't regulate we would still not be able to compete with a workforce (China, India etc) that pays its workers a few dollars a day.

Please put your (self professed) scientific and investigative powers of reason to bear and you may come to conclusions contrary to the talking points of Rush Limbaugh and Glen Beck.

In my opinion we are not doing nearly enough to protect the environment. We need to rethink EVERYTHING about how our society is structured. We need to have a different attitude about what we need, when we need it and where it comes from. We need to think about why so many in the world are pissed off at us and consider what we can do about it.

The old way of thinking and the society we've built is destructive to our existence.

Labor union, yes they drive up the cost of manufacturing. Regulations do the same. I agree that people need a safe working environment as well as company

The 'mythical' global warming effect? The argument to the science was created by corporations who live to make more money. The science is there for all to see but corporations ( and their tools like Fox) spread the message that the science is wrong. They are the people praising the emperor's new clothes. The scientists (and rational people who can think for themselves) say "the emperor is naked". Corporations are like having a lion in your yard for security. Sure they'll keep bad people away from your house but if you're not careful they'll eat you! That's why there has to be regulations. And that's why corporations cry the blues of "too many regulations are killing me". And they move their jobes offshore where there are fewer environmental laws and the labor is cheap. And they blame it all on "too many regulations". Who's running this country? Corporations are winning the battle.

Oh Lord, Matt. Are you serious? If your neighbor's yard is a mess you should make sure yours is clean before making others clean up theirs. Quite frankly I am shocked at your attitude re: the environment. There is no dispute that we've messed up this planet seriously. Too many people and too much polution. What are we gonna do when there are no more fish to catch? When water becomes more expensive than gas? When you have to wear a mask when you go outside. Wave your wand and wish that the planet will heal itself? That's simply unbelievable.

The coal industry keeps touting "clean coal". There's no such thing. Like "lite heroin". China burns a buttload of coal but so does the US. We have to get off this dirty stuff. Increase the insulation in homes, move forward aggressively with "clean, renewable" forms of energy, and conservation.

Are you trying to tell me after 150 years, at most, of burning fossil fuels, that the whole earths climate is going to change? Sure it it a good thing to lower CO2, sulfur, and lead emmissions. Show me the data. Actually the data shows the earh is cooling over the past 10 years. That is why they (Al Gore and friends) went from using the term "global warming" to "climate change" last year. The data made the change. They have no real data but my man Al stands to make some serious coin on the Cap & Tax regulation!

• Advisory Board
Are you trying to tell me after 150 years, at most, of burning fossil fuels, that the whole earths climate is going to change? Sure it it a good thing to lower CO2, sulfur, and lead emmissions. Show me the data. Actually the data shows the earh is cooling over the past 10 years. That is why they (Al Gore and friends) went from using the term "global warming" to "climate change" last year. The data made the change. They have no real data but my man Al stands to make some serious coin on the Cap & Tax regulation!

oh dear. really? oh dear.

Well I have to say that your post about the planet healing itself is just about the most foolish thing I've ever read on this site. You honestly can't be serious.

You see, libs turn to personl attacks rather than rely on the facts. The facts are the earth can heal itself. A good friend of mine got his PhD in Environmental Science by proveing this. He went to one of the most polluted superfund sites in NJ, the old Natiol Lead plant where they used to make lead based paint. The soil there is heavilly contaminated with lead. FRIGGIN LEAD! Toxic to humans, animal and extreem;y hard and expensive to get rid of. So he takeks several cubic years of this siol divides it into 3 equal plots and had it tested for lead, It comes back in the ppm range. On one plot he plants some grass native to the area (not the kind you smoke). On another he plants a particular type of plant, I cant remember the name but I can find out if you are interested. The other he leaves baren. He tests the soil monthy over the course of a year. The one planted with the grass does nt change, nor does the baren plot. The one planted with the plant droped to ppb levels. That is an order of magnitude in a year my friend and that is real science. Where is your data?

• Forum MVP

really????

• Forum MVP
You see, libs turn to personl attacks rather than rely on the facts. The facts are the earth can heal itself. A good friend of mine got his PhD in Environmental Science by proveing this. He went to one of the most polluted superfund sites in NJ, the old Natiol Lead plant where they used to make lead based paint. The soil there is heavilly contaminated with lead. FRIGGIN LEAD! Toxic to humans, animal and extreem;y hard and expensive to get rid of. So he takeks several cubic years of this siol divides it into 3 equal plots and had it tested for lead, It comes back in the ppm range. On one plot he plants some grass native to the area (not the kind you smoke). On another he plants a particular type of plant, I cant remember the name but I can find out if you are interested. The other he leaves baren. He tests the soil monthy over the course of a year. The one planted with the grass does nt change, nor does the baren plot. The one planted with the plant droped to ppb levels. That is an order of magnitude in a year my friend and that is real science. Where is your data?

So, basically, we should continue to pollute our air, water and land and there will be no adverse effects because nature will heal itself??? Come on, I get that we don't see the world the same way but...

Wow, John I just don't know what to say. Clearly we are going to have to agree to disagree on this one. I am afraid that you are living in fantasy land and nothing is likely ever to change your mind. You may call this a personal attack but it is not. I don't know you but your posts on this board have led me to conclude that you are unwilling to face facts and will grasp at anything you can to support you point of view while ignoring overwhelming evidence that contradicts your position.

I could sit here for the rest of the day showing you scientifically proven information that you will refute because you haven't seen the data. It would make no matter to you that the scientific community supports my claims by an overwhelming majority.

I could reference investigative journalism articles which you would refute as being biased.

Let me ask you this....

What if you are wrong?

I hope you can put some thought into this and explain to me why we should ignore environmental concerns just because China is doing worse?

If someone is shooting people with a gun and you are merely breaking arms with a baseball bat does that make what your doing right????

As for the earth healing itself, you may have taken a statement out of context. Is it possible that what happens on earth can ultimately lead to an unsuitable environment for man? Or does all of the lead and mercury and spent uranium and CO2 disappear by waving your magic corporate wand?

• Advisory Board
I am afraid that you are living in fantasy land and nothing is likely ever to change your mind.

yep yep. scary combination, too, as we've proven over the last decade or so. i encounter it daily in my work for planned parenthood; apparently it's better to just hope that young people in this country won't have sex than to educate them about how to do it safely. how well has that been working out for our teen pregnancy and sexually transmitted infection rates? njjohn, shall i send over the data for you to sign off on? i've got it. teens who take virginity pledges, for example, generally do wait longer to have sex than teens who don't. BUT when they do have sex, they are less likely to use protection, and therefore have higher rates of pregnancy and infection. why are these kids uneducated and getting pregnant and/or sick? because narrow-minded fantasy land dwellers are focusing only on the ONE piece of data that supports their ideology: that kids who take virginity pledges will wait longer to have sex. but what good is that doing anyone in the end? including taxpayers who -- gasp, i know you guys love this sort of thing -- are going to have to pay for medical procedures/care for information-deprived kids who are in trouble. does that seem reasonable to you? generally, starting with the data and allowing that to inform an opinion or ideology seems more reasonable to me than starting with the ideology and finding the data to support it. but perhaps that's just me.

now, come again? because china is worse, we should ignore what we're doing to the planet therein assuming that all the other parts of this elusive data of which you speak doesn't apply to us? it's like a smoker who says "well, something's going to get me in the end anyway so who cares that i'm killing myself with cigarettes?" do you not hold the smoker accountable when (s)he gets lung cancer?

i can't understand why we are so all about playing to some ridiculous fantasy land-inspired ideal instead of to the reality. sure, reality when it comes to climate change isn't a fun thing to face, but pretending that the earth is somehow going to fix itself is so delusional that i find myself hard-pressed to come up with words that make sense as a response. and when am i ever at a loss for words?

i agree with jack jones when he said he can't imagine much will change your mind. so this is probably a useless post. but i am just incredulous. and now i'm going for a run.

Wow, John I just don't know what to say. Clearly we are going to have to agree to disagree on this one. I am afraid that you are living in fantasy land and nothing is likely ever to change your mind. You may call this a personal attack but it is not. I don't know you but your posts on this board have led me to conclude that you are unwilling to face facts and will grasp at anything you can to support you point of view while ignoring overwhelming evidence that contradicts your position.

I could sit here for the rest of the day showing you scientifically proven information that you will refute because you haven't seen the data. It would make no matter to you that the scientific community supports my claims by an overwhelming majority.

I could reference investigative journalism articles which you would refute as being biased.

Let me ask you this....

What if you are wrong?

I hope you can put some thought into this and explain to me why we should ignore environmental concerns just because China is doing worse?

If someone is shooting people with a gun and you are merely breaking arms with a baseball bat does that make what your doing right????

As for the earth healing itself, you may have taken a statement out of context. Is it possible that what happens on earth can ultimately lead to an unsuitable environment for man? Or does all of the lead and mercury and spent uranium and CO2 disappear by waving your magic corporate wand?

Hey man, don't get me wrong. I am for using science and technology to obtain a balance with the planet. I am for reusable energy in all forms. However, this should have been going on long before now. This administration wants to try to fix everything in four years by spending money we do not have or taxing us into oblivion. We have many years of natural gas, and oil and the infrastructure to use it. We can create thousands of jobs and lower the cost of oil and gas by using what we have while developing the systems and infrastructure we need to use renewable energy as our main source say 10 - 20 years from now. If we had started back in the 70's we would have at least had some infrastructure on line.

A combined effort in global environmental concerns is needed. It cannot just be the USA and Europe. China, and India will continue to exploit the environment and their people. That $5 Wal Mart tee shirt would cost $20 if it were made here due to labor costs and environmental regulations. Are you willing to pay that? Or are you going to continue to buy the $5 Wal Mart tee shirt and continue to close your eyes to the facts of what is going on in the global environmental scenario.

If I am wrong? I do not look at this as a right or wrong type issue. I look at it as what is best. You tell me what is best. That some in China and India are raised into a middle class on the backs of exploited workers? How about Mexico, Central and South America? Do they care about the environment?

You see, in America we are not only addicted to the middle east oil, we are addicted to cheep shit made by people who are being taken advantage of by their own corrupt government. Our children are exposed to lead in their toys and we don't even know what else is in the cheap shit we buy from China. As long as they buy our debt, I guess its all good, right? I say no, it is not OK. We can do better and it starts with stopping the spending which our government continues to do.

Who set up all those factories in China? US CORPORATIONS. And why did they get set up in China? NO REGULATION and CHEAP LABOR. Again it's all about the money. Some of the factories in China are in trouble right now because of the economy and the Corps have found cheaper labor and less regulation in other places. By the way aren't we the Leader of the Free World? We should be setting examples and helping the rest of the world follow our leads.

By the way, where did you get you numbers "1,000,000 times more environmentally conscious than China" and "1,000,000,000" times more environmentally conscious than India." That's a Million and A Billion. Are you sure? O yeah this must be right because it come from the right.

Not only US Corporations set up companies in China. Get you fact straight. Give me an example of when China has followed our leed? Was it in freedom? Human rights? Wake up! The Chicoms do not care about what we do. They just want us to keep buying their cheap shit so they can expand their army. Oh, and they will continue to buy our debt to feed our addiction to the cheap shit they sell us.

yep yep. scary combination, too, as we've proven over the last decade or so. i encounter it daily in my work for planned parenthood; apparently it's better to just hope that young people in this country won't have sex than to educate them about how to do it safely. how well has that been working out for our teen pregnancy and sexually transmitted infection rates? njjohn, shall i send over the data for you to sign off on? i've got it. teens who take virginity pledges, for example, generally do wait longer to have sex than teens who don't. BUT when they do have sex, they are less likely to use protection, and therefore have higher rates of pregnancy and infection. why are these kids uneducated and getting pregnant and/or sick? because narrow-minded fantasy land dwellers are focusing only on the ONE piece of data that supports their ideology: that kids who take virginity pledges will wait longer to have sex. but what good is that doing anyone in the end? including taxpayers who -- gasp, i know you guys love this sort of thing -- are going to have to pay for medical procedures/care for information-deprived kids who are in trouble. does that seem reasonable to you? generally, starting with the data and allowing that to inform an opinion or ideology seems more reasonable to me than starting with the ideology and finding the data to support it. but perhaps that's just me.

now, come again? because china is worse, we should ignore what we're doing to the planet therein assuming that all the other parts of this elusive data of which you speak doesn't apply to us? it's like a smoker who says "well, something's going to get me in the end anyway so who cares that i'm killing myself with cigarettes?" do you not hold the smoker accountable when (s)he gets lung cancer?

i can't understand why we are so all about playing to some ridiculous fantasy land-inspired ideal instead of to the reality. sure, reality when it comes to climate change isn't a fun thing to face, but pretending that the earth is somehow going to fix itself is so delusional that i find myself hard-pressed to come up with words that make sense as a response. and when am i ever at a loss for words?

i agree with jack jones when he said he can't imagine much will change your mind. so this is probably a useless post. but i am just incredulous. and now i'm going for a run.

What medical procedure do you refer? We already have medical care for children of the poor.

• Forum MVP
once again, wow. way to compartmentalize. that tactic seems to work pretty well for you.

Isn't it great that we are tempted to open political threads now that they are in the Gen Dis?

It's like there are some people, on every GD forum out there, who are there mainly to argue their politics. These people at these different GD message boards seem to slant toward the right--it's a strange phenomenon because you would think people would go to political message boards to do this...right?

I guess I didn't realize the obvious ramifications when I voted to get rid of the politics Forum. I'm going to have to do a better job of staying away from threads that are either obviously political or have the potential to get political.

I like this the rules this guy enforced in his neighborhood (Hell's Kitchen) bar.

sleepers.jpg

• Forum MVP

I refer back to the START of this thread... it was not by someone who "SLANTS TOWARD THE RIGHT" ..

Isn't it great that we are tempted to open political threads now that they are in the Gen Diss?

It's like there are some people, on every GD forum out there, who are there mainly to argue their politics. These people at these different GD message boards seem to slant toward the right--it's a strange phenomenon because you would think people would go to political message boards to do this...right?

I guess I didn't realize the obvious ramifications when I voted to get rid of the politics Forum. I'm going to have to do a better job of staying away from threads that are either obviously political or have the potential to get political.

I like this the rules this guy enforced in his neighborhood (Hell's Kitchen) bar.

sleepers.jpg

Archived