Phil Interview From Delaware

neutrino

http://www.delawareonline.com/article/20100218/ENTERTAINMENT/2190302

I have to say that this interview does nothing to dispel my opinion that Phil considers his bandmates sidemen. I think he could have said a bit more about JK when he was asked. He seemed to want to change the subject a bit when the interviewer specifically questioned if JK was adding the new energy to the band. He also managed to also take a little dig at DSO. I was somewhat amused how the top of the article refered to Furthur as "his new band" (phil's that is). Wonder what Bobby would think of that?

Guest deadheadmike

I think Phil followed the direction of the interviewer as anyone being interviewed would , but I think the interviewers direction was a little funky , like this -

" The fact that John Kadlecik from the Grateful Dead cover band Dark Star Orchestra is in Furthur must complete some sort of weird circle for him, I guess."

and I wouldn't expect Phil to acknowledge DSO in any great detail , it would be like He was advertising for DSO shows , his concern is selling tickets for his band .

• Forum MVP

I agree with Sister Bluebird, that was not an insult toward Dark Star Orchestra.. I am glad to see Phil so grateful to re-connect with Bobby and mention how what the members of the GD have is "thicker than blood"..

as for Jill and Bob's manager creating the setlist... I really don't understand that, it may be beyond my understanding though. Phil, Bobby, John, Jeff, Jay, and Joe should be doing that. Then it would be collaborative effort.

• Forum MVP

It was an interesting read. Phil seemed really grateful to have John and the other member sin the band. He's happy about the chemistry that's going on and the music they make in the now. He obviously knows that this is his and Bobby's band but i don't he takes the rest of the members for granted.

As far as that dig at DSO, i don't think it was. In DSO he was supposed to do the "Jerry thing" with the JK spice. Now in Furthur i feel he does the JK thing with some Jerry Spice. He's really coming into his own, i think. He's definitely going in some different directions with Furthur then he was with DSO. As Sister Bluebird said, if he wasn't, he wouldn't be doing his job.

the whole who write the setlist thing was the weirdest part of the interview for me. IMO, that should be a total band decision. Bobby's manager and Jill aren't playing the tunes...

Well, I thought it was a small dig at DSO. I can't speak for any of the bandmembers of DSO, but I would have taken this as a bit of an insult to what I was doing if this was my own career. Perhaps they don't share my sentiment, and I'm being too sensitive.

It is rather surprising who is making the setlists. Like RickE, I can't help but wonder if they are also making the calls on who does the vocals? :blink:

• Forum VIP

I find it very hard to believe that Jill and Matt make up the set list, I think Phil threw that out there to get us off track, everything I hear Phil and Bob alternate and I am sure JK has some input, I bet Jill being the controlling wife, sticks her nose in to help Phil, and I am sure Matt helps Bob, But I can not see Jill & Matt in a room coming out and telling Bob what he is going to play. His comments are off base trying to give Jill some value....my 2 cents....Dr. V

I don't see a dig at DSO there.

From a musician's perspective:

I don't agree that Phil saying "my new band" means that he sees it as "MY new band" as in he is in charge... I call my band "my band" even though I am by no means the leader. It's just how I naturally refer to the band that I am in. Same as a baseball player saying "my team" or a worker saying "my company"- doesn't mean they think they own it.

Creating setlists is largely a chore IMHO. I personally don't enjoy it. I like having input on choosing the songs and arrangements to learn (including who is singing what parts) and learning them, but when it comes time to decide what to play at a particular show at a particular venue, making sure not to repeat songs you played there last time or overplay a song on a particular tour, etc, I'm more than happy to leave that to someone else.

• Forum MVP

I can hear your voice.

(Thanks, Dave, you made it too easy to pass up such a cheap shot.)

My real, deep down inside opinion of all this has been expressed by numerous others here, some with more vehemence and some with far more eloquence than I probably would or could have employed. Hence my limiting myself on this hydra of a topic to short comments that for the most part have been apropos of approximately nothing whatsoever.

In the interest of making my position clear beyond any shadow of a doubt, and in answer to the question posed above, I offer this:

What's so funny about peace, love, and understanding?

and I wouldn't expect Phil to acknowledge DSO in any great detail , it would be like He was advertising for DSO shows , his concern is selling tickets for his band .

I suppose part of my attitude on this is related to some information I received from an insider in Mill Valley who really knows what went down in the formation of Furthur. Without going into detail here, lets's just say that the effect on DSO of getting JK to leave was not simply regarded as "unfortunate collateral damage". It was considered a significant bonus. You bet that Phil does not want to advertise for DSO., and that selling tickets is a big consideration. The only thing I'm now wondering is how much of this was Phil and how much of it was driven by Jill Lesh? Perhaps I have assumed too much calculation from Phil, and had not understood how much his spouse was involved with the band.

Just for the record, I have seen Furthur 7 times. I am by no means trying to smear them. I am digging increasingly as they refine their performances. They are getting to be a really great band and the potential is huge--thanks in very large part to JK. However, there are certain realities about this situation that one should not gloss over. I am rather cynical of all of those who seem to be singing Kumbaya about how wonderful it is to now have two bands to enjoy. This is a business, and one of the most important parts of running a business is increasing market share.

The fact that John Kadlecik from the Grateful Dead cover band Dark Star Orchestra is in Furthur must complete some sort of weird circle for him, I guess.

I bet! [Laughs.]

How did that happen?

Once we decided we wanted to put something together, we started looking for musicians. What I've done in my bands is bring in people who frequently are not part of the Grateful Dead complex. My philosophy has been to bring new perspectives to the music. This time, we wanted to re-create the chemistry. We can't re-create the sound or the actual music that we played back in the day, but we can try to re-create that chemistry, where everybody is really listening to each other. There's a network of associations going on while we're playing, and a whole bunch of connections are being formed, transformed and then handed off. John seemed to have that vibe.

Whats all the talk of Phil taking a shot at DSO? This segment of the interview seems to sound like they wanted to do what DSO was doing doesn't it?? Just my 2 cents..........

• Forum MVP

This is true neutrino. We all know this one of the most amazing post GD bands that has existed. Dark Star Orchestra is also to strong to break and I am aware of the business but I really can't believe that Phil is just power hungry despite what he has said about DSO. I also don't believe that Furthur is taking a substantial amount of people away from DSO shows... I base this on the fact that I am aware of a few people, including myself, who are seeing DSO more this year than ever before and also seeing Furthur. I am also aware of people who have never seen DSO before, but now, after seeing Furthur and learning that John was in DSO... they want to make an effort to see Dark Star...

I probably sound repeated... I am just trying to say I think the reason the whole competition thing has been discussed so heavily is because John is in the band. Musically, this clearly hasn't had to much of an effect on DSO. Jeff Mattson is a master. I seems like some people feel John was "stolen" from DSO. Whatever the motive was I believe Phil and Bobby were just searching for the sound and wanted to play together in a way similar to how they did "backin the day" as Phil said. Most importantly, this is truly amazing opportunity for John and personally, I am so happy for him. Besides the the giant set back of re-working the band after 12 years I couldn't imagine the rest of DSO being anything more than happy for John as well...

Jill Lesh creating the setlists is a little bit strange, but I'm sure there are somethings that are beyond my understanding for better or for worse...

So yes, I do believe it is a beautiful thing Furthur and DSO both are both playing... the business stuff is inevitable but that is just a part of it and it is always going be there, I think looking at how unaffected (musically, I am not aware of how John leaving has effected them in other ways) DSO was from John moving to Furthur is just a testament to how strong and amazing they are. That energy has also found its way to Furthur from John and it is clearly showing in the music and in Phil and Bobby themselves.

The fact that John Kadlecik from the Grateful Dead cover band Dark Star Orchestra is in Furthur must complete some sort of weird circle for him, I guess.

I bet! [Laughs.]

How did that happen?

Once we decided we wanted to put something together, we started looking for musicians. What I've done in my bands is bring in people who frequently are not part of the Grateful Dead complex. My philosophy has been to bring new perspectives to the music. This time, we wanted to re-create the chemistry. We can't re-create the sound or the actual music that we played back in the day, but we can try to re-create that chemistry, where everybody is really listening to each other. There's a network of associations going on while we're playing, and a whole bunch of connections are being formed, transformed and then handed off. John seemed to have that vibe.

Whats all the talk of Phil taking a shot at DSO? This segment of the interview seems to sound like they wanted to do what DSO was doing doesn't it?? Just my 2 cents..........

The quote I was talking about was this:

"It's interesting that now that John is playing with us, he might be expanding a little more than he might have with the Dark Star Orchestra. It's really interesting to see how it's developing"

It's nothing really blatant, but it does seem to be a small swipe at what DSO does. It also does communicate the attitude that John can now achieve his full potential now that he isn't limited by being in DSO.. That's kind of the way I took it.

Guest deadheadmike

I suppose part of my attitude on this is related to some information I received from an insider in Mill Valley who really knows what went down in the formation of Furthur. Without going into detail here, lets's just say that the effect on DSO of getting JK to leave was not simply regarded as "unfortunate collateral damage". It was considered a significant bonus. You bet that Phil does not want to advertise for DSO., and that selling tickets is a big consideration. The only thing I'm now wondering is how much of this was Phil and how much of it was driven by Jill Lesh? Perhaps I have assumed too much calculation from Phil, and had not understood how much his spouse was involved with the band.

Just for the record, I have seen Furthur 7 times. I am by no means trying to smear them. I am digging increasingly as they refine their performances. They are getting to be a really great band and the potential is huge--thanks in very large part to JK. However, there are certain realities about this situation that one should not gloss over. I am rather cynical of all of those who seem to be singing Kumbaya about how wonderful it is to now have two bands to enjoy. This is a business, and one of the most important parts of running a business is increasing market share.

I understand where your coming from and I agree with you ....

The quote I was talking about was this:

"It's interesting that now that John is playing with us, he might be expanding a little more than he might have with the Dark Star Orchestra. It's really interesting to see how it's developing"

It's nothing really blatant, but it does seem to be a small swipe at what DSO does. It also does communicate the attitude that John can now achieve his full potential now that he isn't limited by being in DSO.. That's kind of the way I took it.

Its funny how we all interpret these things differently ...

• Forum MVP

I understand where your coming from and I agree with you ....

Its funny how we all interpret these things differently ...

Yes, I am not surprised though. I have learned that it's really hard to understand ones true intentions through the internet or an interview written in text. Similar to how it was hard to tell if Bob was joking about that country album in his interview, haha..

Guest deadheadmike

Yes, I am not surprised though. I have learned that it's really hard to understand ones true intentions through the internet or an interview written in text. Similar to how it was hard to tell if Bob was joking about that country album in his interview, haha..

For sure ... I could see Bob doing a country album and I could also see him joking about it ... funny stuff though ...

• Forum MVP

Hasn't it long been assumed (understood?) that Phil's attitude toward DSO has been something along the lines of "why would anybody do that" with regard to DSO's "we recreate Dead shows" approach? At least that's been my take on it; he just can't philosophically wrap his head around the premise. So a subtle swipe should not be surprising. My guess is that if he said what he really feels...now that would be a bit shocking.

Archived