Great Dso Interview

Dancer'sChoice

• Forum MVP

"Jeff brings just a little more grease, that psychedelic greasy element that was missing in John's playing. Not to demean John's playing, because he's brilliant. That's just what Jeff brings that is different."

I wouldn't have thought to call it "greasy" but I like that word.

Nicely put, RB.

:D

• Forum MVP

"Jeff brings just a little more grease, that psychedelic greasy element that was missing in John's playing. Not to demean John's playing, because he's brilliant. That's just what Jeff brings that is different."

I wouldn't have thought to call it "greasy" but I like that word.

Nicely put, RB.

:D

you'll really dig it Dave if you're going to Atlanta.

• Forum MVP

already been diggin in Chitown and Indy. There are times when I think DSO got the better end of the trade. Lookin fwd to ATL.

...and I also like Eaton's take

"He brings to the table a really deep understanding of what Jerry meant to this music in a pretty profound way that I didn't realize until I started playing with him."

Guest Lisacat

nice interview....glad to see DSO has been getting more play in Jambase too....

Its been a real treat watching the transition into the new lineup. It started out great and its been getting better and better. Also looking forward to seeing what Stu brings...

That was a great read,IMO DSO is tighter NOW then they ever were , i love old GD seem to be with JM they go places that they never been and for that IAM VERY GRATEFUL. DSO has been blowing the roof off places every night that has to say something , you just don't get a show ,you get everything the band has to give and then some . Peace Dave

This is a really wonderful interview. I was especially interested in the discussion of new material, and that Robert Hunter was involved!! I have long thought that doing more original material was going to be needed at some point. This is really exciting stuff!! I'll confess that I have been feeling somewhat pessimistic about the where DSO may be heading since JK left, but this interview has completely turned that around.

You know, JK may very well end up really regreting he didn't just take a leave of absence!!

• Forum MVP

"The one thing that Jeff has above everybody else is that he really understands the earlier bend on the Dead. The late '60s, early '70s. He does it so well and that's something that we really haven't concentrated on in this band until now."

That's what I'm talking about baby!!!!!!!!! That damn Hard To Handle in Charlotte sent my ass to the moon!! Jeff's guitar is a beautiful blend of his style and an early Garcia influence. He is just killin' it and I'm lovin' every minute of it.

• Forum MVP

You know, JK may very well end up really regreting he didn't just take a leave of absence!!

I really don't think things like this are for us to say... (I mean that with much respect neutrino)

The interview was seriously so good... anyone who is "unsure" of DSO needs to read this.

• Forum MVP

This is a really wonderful interview. I was especially interested in the discussion of new material, and that Robert Hunter was involved!! I have long thought that doing more original material was going to be needed at some point. This is really exciting stuff!! I'll confess that I have been feeling somewhat pessimistic about the where DSO may be heading since JK left, but this interview has completely turned that around.

In the interview, I was talking about my involvement with Hunter. We wrote songs that appear on my CD "When We All Come Home(shameless plug!!) He is not involved with DSO at this time.

Glad everyone enjoyed the article. RB

I really don't think things like this are for us to say... (I mean that with much respect neutrino)

The interview was seriously so good... anyone who is "unsure" of DSO needs to read this.

Hey Vincent,

I don't think there is anything wrong with my stating that JK "may" end up regretting leaving. It is simply idle speculation on my part with what might happen as the future unfolds. I suspect DSO will be around for a long time after Furthur has run its course. At that point, JK may regret that he had resigned from the group he co-founded, and which is the best at doing this kind of music. Or he may have absolutely no regrets! Now, if I had stated in some absolute terms that he "will" regret leaving, then you are correct that it is not for anyone but JK to say.

In the interview, I was talking about my involvement with Hunter. We wrote songs that appear on my CD "When We All Come Home(shameless plug!!) He is not involved with DSO at this time.

Glad everyone enjoyed the article. RB

Rob,

Sorry for the confusion about your songs written with Hunter. However, I would assume there is nothing stopping DSO from playing some of these (as well as other new songs written by bandmembers) on the elective nights, or at the end of the re-creation shows. In the long term, I still think that some more original songs would be a great thing for DSO going forward.

The "shameless plug" is appreciated, and I will definitely purchase a copy and look forward to hearing it!

Awesome article! I'm excited to hear more Pigpen-era stuff... hoping to focus on that in my band as well soon so that'll be a cool parallell. What a great period!

Nothing shameless about your album plug at all, Rob. It worked, I just ordered a copy... if your songwriting is good enough for Robert Hunter it's definitely good enough for me to give it a listen!

Nothing shameless about your album plug at all, Rob. It worked, I just ordered a copy... if your songwriting is good enough for Robert Hunter it's definitely good enough for me to give it a listen!

it's a beautiful album. but rob, for the download version there is no information on who your backing band is, who played on which song, etc. is there a place online we can get that information?

icon12.gif

• Forum MVP

it's a beautiful album. but rob, for the download version there is no information on who your backing band is, who played on which song, etc. is there a place online we can get that information?

icon12.gif

Thanks for the kind words! Here is a list of the musicians who performed on the album

Rob Friedman Co Produced with me and played most of the lead guitar, acoustic guitar and all other stringed instruments and backing vocals

Barry Sless Pedal Steel guitar some lead and rhythm guitar

Mike Viseglia Bass

Jerry Marotta Drums

David Cossin Percussion vibes electric tube

Catherine Russel Backing vocals on When You Say When

Jim Kempster Backing vocals on Argentina and Old Coast Highway

Tom Barraco Percussion

Laurel Barraco Backing vocals on When We All Come Home

Robert Hunter Lyrics except When We All Come Home which is me and Rob Friedman

I play all keyboard instruments and all lead vocals

I Don't Have a copy of the cd with me I can't remember the name of the fantastic violinist who plays on the first two cuts.

"I say we are a spirit band," Eaton explains. "We play the music in the spirit that it was originally conceived. The heart, soul, emotion and spirit of the music are the only things we can do to carry it through."

This is my favorite quote from this wonderful interview.

Thanks, Rob, for putting into words what makes DSO so special. I would take out the word "only" because it is HUGE how you guys do this and care for and respect this music!

Can't wait for the April California dates to arrive!!!

Archived