Let's Hear If For The New R&r Hall Inductees!

gr8fulpair

I went to the R&R HOF website for the first time to see who was already inducted. Of course, it's all a matter of personal opinion, but there are some glaring omissions from my perspective. Just to take two examples, I believe YES and Jethro Tull were more influential bands than many of those already inducted. Maybe they will make it eventually. I would hope that Bruce Hornsby would also make the list at some point. With both his own recordings, as well as his many collabortions with other artists, he has been incredibly prolific.

• Forum MVP

I went to the R&R HOF website for the first time to see who was already inducted. Of course, it's all a matter of personal opinion, but there are some glaring omissions from my perspective. Just to take two examples, I believe YES and Jethro Tull were more influential bands than many of those already inducted. Maybe they will make it eventually. I would hope that Bruce Hornsby would also make the list at some point. With both his own recordings, as well as his many collabortions with other artists, he has been incredibly prolific.

Dude, seriously,..... are you trying to compare YES and the Aqualung to ABBA??? to the Stooges?? You do realize that if you spell ABBA backwards you..get.....ABBA? Take A Chance on Me, Dancing Queen, Knowing Me Knowing You..............all classics the first time they were played. Iggy Pop has his own .org bro! www.iggypop.org. Genesis had that tune that Mike Tyson played in The Hangover...............oh, wait that was a Phil Collins tune,... well they did that Sussudio song, oh shit that was Phil too, uhhh, Can't Hurry Love, damn Phil,

You know I think you have a pretty good point there Neutrino.... seems like a pretty weak class this time around - you notice I didn't bust on my boy Jimmy Cliff - love that dude!!!

Dude, seriously,..... are you trying to compare YES and the Aqualung to ABBA??? to the Stooges?? You do realize that if you spell ABBA backwards you..get.....ABBA? Take A Chance on Me, Dancing Queen, Knowing Me Knowing You..............all classics the first time they were played. Iggy Pop has his own .org bro! www.iggypop.org. Genesis had that tune that Mike Tyson played in The Hangover...............oh, wait that was a Phil Collins tune,... well they did that Sussudio song, oh shit that was Phil too, uhhh, Can't Hurry Love, damn Phil,

You know I think you have a pretty good point there Neutrino.... seems like a pretty weak class this time around - you notice I didn't bust on my boy Jimmy Cliff - love that dude!!!

Upon furthur reflection, I have to add a couple of names to the list of HOF non-members that make me say WTF?? I stand by Yes and Jethro Tull, but also wonder where in the hell is Neil Diamond, Rush, and The Moody Blues? I suppose I could keep going, but these 5 are the first ones that came to mind. Even if you don't particularly care for some of these artists, they are certainly a lot more influential than ABBA.

• Forum MVP

Upon furthur reflection, I have to add a couple of names to the list of HOF non-members that make me say WTF?? I stand by Yes and Jethro Tull, but also wonder where in the hell is Neil Diamond, Rush, and The Moody Blues? I suppose I could keep going, but these 5 are the first ones that came to mind. Even if you don't particularely care for some of these artists, they are certainly a lot more influential than ABBA.

I agree with your list and will add Little Feat and Chicago.

I realize it's all subjective but the worst concert I ever saw was Yes at the International Amphitheater in Chicago in 1979...

While I realize the players have individual talent.....I think Yes is God Awful as a musical vehicle...For whatever reason some bands provoke a negative visceral reaction from me....Yes is one of them..It's like they are all playing solos at the same time...ALL THE TIME...Like a constant grateful dead uptempo space jam loop that plays over and over again with high pitched vocals and LOTS of keyboard wankery .(Um this is a bad thing) .Sorry for the rant...Supertramp is another group that makes me drive off the road..When XRT throws in an occasional obligatory Sumpertramp tune...Major buzzkill....

I love Jethro Tull ........

I agree with your list and will add Little Feat and Chicago.

Let's not forget Leon Russell - a huge influence on many decades of music...

And, not to stir the puddin' or anything, but doesn't this thread belong in "Other Bands"? :rofl:

• Forum MVP

On the subject of Tull, check out the video of the Stone's Rock and Roll Circus from '68. Really good stuff throughout, and Tull's performance was a true harbinger of things to come. Musically, at least, and in a good way.

I realize it's all subjective but the worst concert I ever saw was Yes at the International Amphitheater in Chicago in 1979...

While I realize the players have individual talent.....I think Yes is God Awful as a musical vehicle...For whatever reason some bands provoke a negative visceral reaction from me....Yes is one of them..It's like they are all playing solos at the same time...ALL THE TIME...Like a constant grateful dead uptempo space jam with high pitched vocals and LOTS of keyboard wankery .(Um this is a bad thing) .Sorry for the rant...Supertramp is another group that makes me drive off the road..When XRT throws in an occasional obligatory Sumpertramp tune...Major buzzkill....

Your reaction to Yes is, of course, completely valid! Everyone has their own individual taste, and I'm delighted that there is such a diverse spectrum of opinions. Some people I know love some music that either does nothing for me, or I actively hate. I was actually not a huge fan of Yes, but I did like them back in their early days. Bought their albums in the 70s and have some very nice memories of listening to them on various occasions with friends as a student in Berkeley a long time ago. Also saw a few of their shows at Winterland and enjoyed them. I thought of them on this list mainly because they were a very influential and ground breaking band--whether one liked them or not. Seems to me they kind of pioneered a particular style of rock.

As far as Jethro Tull is concerned--they were my very first love with R&R! I had to buy several LPs of Stand Up, Benefit, and Aqualung because I completely wore them out. My first rock show was actually Jethro Tull playing at the Santa Monica Civic Auditorium. Benefit had just been released. I was in Junior HS at the time, and it completely blew my mind (and I was completely straight). Ian Anderson was the sole pioneer of using the flute in rock, and they were actually the most popular band in England at one time. It is amazing that the band is not in the HOF. Met Ian Anderson and Martin Barre a few years ago at a special very small and private concert that was a benefit for protecting wild endangered cats (which is a passion of Ian). It was very cool to meet and chat with my first musical heroes!

• Forum MVP

While I realize the players have individual talent.....I think Yes is God Awful as a musical vehicle...For whatever reason some bands provoke a negative visceral reaction from me....Yes is one of them..It's like they are all playing solos at the same time...ALL THE TIME...Like a constant grateful dead uptempo space jam loop that plays over and over again with high pitched vocals and LOTS of keyboard wankery .(Um this is a bad thing) .Sorry for the rant...Supertramp is another group that makes me drive off the road..When XRT throws in an occasional obligatory Sumpertramp tune...Major buzzkill....

The word of the day is.......................... WANKERY. This word sounds like what it means. I love to say this word. Thanks for the lesson Muddy Waters. I don't agree with your sentiment because I am a fan of YES, but I am also a fan of cool words and you've given me one. Mind if I use that one to describe the musical style of Boston? As in: "I'm sure the people in the band Boston are very nice folks, but I cannot get past their musical wankery, therefore I don't want to be around them."

Definition from Wiktionary, a free dictionary

English

Etymology

wank +‎ -ery

Noun

Singular

wankery

Plural

uncountable

wankery (uncountable)

1. (British, slang) Unnecessary or pretentious noodling (messing around).

* 2002, Vladimir Bogdanov, Chris Woodstra, Stephen Thomas Erlewine, All Music Guide to Rock

The core band, meanwhile, had clearly honed their chops well on stage; Ashton's lead guitar work avoids both wankery and simplicity...

* 2003, Marshall Moore, The Concrete Sky

Their visas entailed bribes and a certain amount of bureaucratic wankery, but were approved quickly enough.

* 2003, Jim DeRogatis, Turn on Your Mind: Four Decades of Great Psychedelic Rock

There are moments of static beauty, haunting sparseness, and pointless wankery, sometimes all in the same tune.

* 2007, Everett True, Nirvana: The Biography

Sub Pop was different, they were arty and more into darker, weirder stuff like Big Black. K was pretty much the opposite of that kind of macho wankery.

Guest jazz-man

ABBA=rock and roll? That's nuts. Make room for the Bay City Rollers. ABBA was pure pop, just like Madonna or Michael Jackson. Maybe there can be a Pop Music HOF and those acts can be inducted into it. And I, for one, will promise to stay away.

• Forum MVP

Let's not forget Leon Russell -

I have often said that the Mad Dogs and Englishmen tour that Leon literally conducted was the Greatest Rock and Roll tour ever.

Peace (Give it a Chance), A Little Help My Friends, Feelin' All Right, Honkey Tonk Woman, The Letter, and a little Delta Lady for everyone,

Doc

I love Yes. I used to feel it was wankery until I really got into the songs, and then heard them duplicated live note for note. That takes serious skill, and they are cool songs, lots of musical info there, but played with balls.

I'm not a big respecter of the RNR HOF though... tons of bands I never gave two craps about are in, while bands I really like or at least respect are out. The best thing about it are Jerry's guitars on display in the lobby for free!

On the subject of Tull, check out the video of the Stone's Rock and Roll Circus from '68. Really good stuff throughout, and Tull's performance was a true harbinger of things to come. Musically, at least, and in a good way.

A few interesting little factoids about that Circus show, Chuck:

The first time I saw it, I wondered who the hell is that on guitar with Tull? The original guitarist was Mick Abrahams, who only played on the first album, This Was, He was soon replaced by Martin Barre because Abrahams didn't get on with Anderson and Glen Cornick. The second album, the outstanding "Stand Up", featured Barre. However, this guy on the Circus DVD is neither of these guys. Turns out it was Tony Iommi, guitarist from Black Sabath. This was a VERY brief spot, and the R&R circus show was his only "appearance". I put this word in quotations because this was actually a pre-recorded performance, with only Ian Anderson actually singing live.

The Rolling Stones were actually rather upset with this whole production because basically The Who kicked their asses. Because they were upstaged, this thing was not released until 1996! The Stones were rather flat for this show, and Brian Jones was completely wasted and soon to be dead. This was his last public performance.

The one time only performance of the band "The Dirty Mac" with John Lennon, Eric Clapton, Keith Richards, and Mitch Mitchell is completely cool--at least until Yoko shows up and starts screeching!! This DVD is a fascinating piece of British R&R history, and I highly recommend seeing it!

• Forum MVP

A few interesting little factoids about that Circus show, Chuck:

The first time I saw it, I wondered who the hell is that on guitar with Tull? The original guitarist was Mick Abrahams, who only played on the first album, This Was, He was soon replaced by Martin Barre because Abrahams didn't get on with Anderson and Glen Cornick. The second album, the outstanding "Stand Up", featured Barre. However, this guy on the Circus DVD is neither of these guys. Turns out it was Tony Iommi, guitarist from Black Sabath. This was a VERY brief spot, and the R&R circus show was his only "appearance". I put this word in quotations because this was actually a pre-recorded performance, with only Ian Anderson actually singing live.

The Rolling Stones were actually rather upset with this whole production because basically The Who kicked their asses. Because they were upstaged, this thing was not released until 1996! The Stones were rather flat for this show, and Brian Jones was completely wasted and soon to be dead. This was his last public performance.

The one time only performance of the band "The Dirty Mac" with John Lennon, Eric Clapton, Keith Richards, and Mitch Mitchell is completely cool--at least until Yoko shows up and starts screeching!! This DVD is a fascinating piece of British R&R history, and I highly recommend seeing it!

Interesting in the extreme! Thanks for the historical perspective. I remember thinking how wasted Brian looked when I saw it a couple of years ago, and how Tull was one of the freakiest looking conglomerations of people you could ever want to run across! icon14.gif And yep - the Who did kick serious ass.

Interesting in the extreme! Thanks for the historical perspective. I remember thinking how wasted Brian looked when I saw it a couple of years ago, and how Tull was one of the freakiest looking conglomerations of people you could ever want to run across! icon14.gif And yep - the Who did kick serious ass.

Tull's first album was one first records I ever purchased. I believe I was 13 at the time and I saw the album sitting in a record store. I had no idea who these completely bizarre people were at the time. They looked like a bunch of old men with gray hair hanging out with a bunch of dogs. This is rock band? Which one is Jethro?

http://www.vinylrecords.ch/J/JE/Jethro_Tull/This/jethro-tull-this-was.htm

I thought that any band who looked like this would probably sound "interesting". What I didn't expect was how much I would enjoy it. I was kind of like "Damn!! I've never heard anything like this before, and it's really good!!" I was pretty proud of myself back then for discovering this band that would become so big before anyone else I knew had heard of them.

Archived