April Tour

Guest deliverance

I've posted this before, but I'll say it again:

The impact on DSO of getting JK to jump ship WAS an attractive part of the considerations by the Lesh clan. This does not mean it was the only consideration? NO. Was it the main consideration? I have no idea, but I would guess it was not. However, a band is a business, and when Phil and Jill see DSO selling more tickets for concerts that play what they consider "their music", it is not surprising that they get pissed off. I heard the inside story in Mill Valley from someone who knows what went down. It has been suggested that one dismiss any such talk as gossip and bullshit, but I completely believe what I was told. If you chose to believe that there was non of this calculation, so be it. If you believe Phil's recent quote in an interview that he has always dug was DSO was doing--go right ahead.

I've posted this before, but I'll say it again:

The impact on DSO of getting JK to jump ship WAS an attractive part of the considerations by the Lesh clan. This does not mean it was the only consideration? NO. Was it the main consideration? I have no idea, but I would guess it was not. However, a band is a business, and when Phil and Jill see DSO selling more tickets for concerts that play what they consider "their music", it is not surprising that they get pissed off. I heard the inside story in Mill Valley from someone who knows what went down. It has been suggested that one dismiss any such talk as gossip and bullshit, but I completely believe what I was told. If you chose to believe that there was non of this calculation, so be it. If you believe Phil's recent quote in an interview that he has always dug was DSO was doing--go right ahead.

Just a suggestion:

Read the Hunter to Garcia letter thread & then tell me it doesn't derail the negativity train....Even if it's only momentary !

Peace/love/understanding,

Rob

• Forum MVP

It's no secret that Jill Lesh does NOT like DSO... that is obvious... it's not a rumor. I'd like to believe that Phil doesn't think negatively of what DSO has always done, which is carry on the spirit of the Grateful Dead in such a profound way. If he does than he should be embarrassed because that would be a contradiction to his views on the world that he has expressed in books, interviews, music... I of course still love the man... but.... to say that Furthur was created to bring down the Dark Star (death star also works, haha) is completely ridiculous.

If Jill thought of that as being a plus to the whole thing than it is a shame, but it's pretty clear that John was chosen because he is an amazing player and interpreter of Grateful Dead music.

• Forum MVP

Agreed nobody knows and I hope your right. But there have been times already where DSO has been affected by further. Look around next time your at a show.....Is it sold out or do you have room to dance? Room to dance is great for you but in order for DSO to thrive while Further is around we all need to support them now! If you can do math, look at the venue size and ticket price then tell me which side of the coin is bigger. No speculation there.....fact!

A thriving DSO requires Action.

We are currently in the throws of a highly depressed economy and have unemployment hovering around 10% - not sure Furthur's influence has trumped that. If you think you see room to dance at a DSO show, you may investigate and find that Chuck has cleared a large void in the crowd with some circular acrobatics.

:dsorocks:

I thought this article was particularly funny as it relates to this thread..I've already stated my opinon in regards to the concept of Beg, Borrowed, Steal..(lol)

The Grateful Dead tribute band Dark Star Orchestra will play Musikfest's Performing Arts Series at Zoellner Arts Center at 7 p.m. Aug. 9, it was announced Tuesday.

Tickets for the show, at $30, go on sale to ArtsQuest members at 10 a.m. Monday and to the public at 10 a.m. April 23 at http://www.artsquest.org or 610-332-FEST (3378).

The show will be on the 15th anniversary of Dead founding member Jerry Garcia's death. It also will be the band's second appearance as part of the series; it played a sold-out show in 2007.

The band, which has played 1,700 shows over the past 12 years, recreates The Dead's deep catalog with such precision that Dead members, including Bob Weir, have occasionally played with the band.

The Grateful Dead legacy band Furthur -- which includes Weir and Dead bassist Phil Lesh -- recently borrowed Dark Star Orchestra's lead singer, John Kadlecik, to recreate Garcia's vocals. Because Furthur will tour this summer -- it plays a sold-out show at Penn's Peak near Jim Thorpe on June 25 and a July 10 date at the Mann Center in Philadelphia -- it's unclear whether Kadlecik will be with Dark Star at Musikfest.

Dark Star Orchestra also has played Penn's Peak several times in recent years.

It's the second act announced for the Performing Arts Series. The folk rock band the Avett Brothers will play on Aug. 11.

Musikfest is scheduled Aug. 6-15 in downtown Bethlehem.

Archived