Petaluma 4-14

sonomajon

Elective barnburner! Don't have time for a review right now but it was scorching...For me...night and day from the previous night Shakedown opener and After midnight>Eleanor Rigby(inst)> After Midnight to close....And a wall shaking SOTM!!! Gotta Run!

• Forum MVP

Set 1: Let the Good Times Roll ; Shakedown Street ; Black Throated Wind ; Big Railroad Blues ; *Cumberland Blues ; *Next Time You See Me ; * Me and Bobby McGee ; *Bird Song

Set 2: Let It Grow > Foolish Heart > Man Smart Women Smarter > The Eleven > Drums > Space > I Need A Miracle > Standing On the Moon > Around and Around

Encore: After Midnight > Eleanor Rigby > After Midnight

Notes: * Guest Aaron Redner from Hot Buttered Rum String Band - Fiddle

from DSO website. Dino has been on top of it.

Set 1: Let the Good Times Roll ; Shakedown Street ; Black Throated Wind ; Big Railroad Blues ; *Cumberland Blues ; *Next Time You See Me ; * Me and Bobby McGee ; *Bird Song

Set 2: Let It Grow > Foolish Heart > Man Smart Women Smarter > The Eleven > Drums > Space > I Need A Miracle > Standing On the Moon > Around and Around

Encore: After Midnight > Eleanor Rigby > After Midnight

Notes: * Guest Aaron Redner from Hot Buttered Rum String Band - Fiddle

the best show yet with Stu!!!! (out of the 4 I have seen so far)

sooo much better than the first Petaluma show (Eaton seemed to be completely out of sorts night one)

last night from the moment they hit the stage I could tell Eaton had decided to show up to the party and bring his A game!!!

I was so glad he finally got his head out of his ass and play his guitar

Mr. Eaton really showed his first class musical ability last night.

With Eaton on fire, Stu stepped up his game and it was ON!!!!

Dino has been blowing my mind the last two shows. Solid consistent amazement.

I am really looking forward to Reno and beyond.

thanks boys

keep it up

-e

• Forum MVP

Only have a couple minutes, but here it goes....

Spent 1st half of set getting accustomed to Stu's presence, only to have the fiddle muddle the mix. Would have been okay for one song, but Redner didn't leave.

There were high points to be sure, but not having John there really served to highlight how tight these guys had become with him. It seemed last night there were many times where Eaton was forcing the action along, a feeling I never got with JK on stage.

That said, Stu had his moments, and of course his vocal greatness goes unsaid. Even his harmonies on Weir songs were spooky Garciaesque.

There were 3 songs that stood head and shoulders above the rest: Bird Song, which levitated high above the Mystic stage in its intense, brooding glory. Standing On The Moon was a Stu Allen tour de force, delivered with frightening power and intensity. And the After Midnight suite - wow what a raging closer, the Rigby jam perfectly sandwiched in. The final pass through After Midnight brought down the house!

Is the band delicately feeling their way with their new lead? Certainly. But the potential is there in spades.

wholly, holy WOW !!! bringin' on the dance groove on !!! LOVE y'all, family, band, {even the idiots, too}...pretty much NO complaints, and the ones i do ain't worth voicing {tho the jackass who just had to keep pushing and pushing and causing a ruckus...is a fuckin' JACKASS who seemed to just not be able to let anything go...ROCK ON, dance crew}....tho, yeah, plenty of room, gr8 folks to dance with, all in sync....and the band was HOT !!!

highlights for me:

SHAKEDOWN !!! {some heavy funk}

Big RxR {Stu smokin' this !!!}

NEXT TIME U C ME !!! {WOW}

Cumberland {absolutely appreciating the fiddle, being as just came back to CA from NC mtns...}

Bobby McGhee {sweet, spacey, mind melting}

Let it grow >drums > let it grow

WOMEN R SMARTER {seriously, could u maybe play it a little longer and a little harder???? LOL}

eleven {incl. that beautiful Barraco & Stu w/drummers jam}

drums {SO super dug the funky, drummer guys...}

miracle {see women are smarter comments}

SOTM { S T U, man...SHIT!!!}

Around {goddess, i love to watch Lisa sing during this song...Lisa, you have FABULOUS energy} :-)

oh, that encore...yummmm....the Rigby Jam had some extended moments of enjoyable transcendental wandering/meandering....

anyhow....guess i shoulda called that a review, not highlights, for the WHOLE last BOTH petaluma shows were OFF THE HOOK !!! if you haven't already, see DSO w/ Stu !!!!

i heard from a friend who is not on this board and he will not stop going off about the encore...he said it was absolutely insane and the rest of dso were very much feeling it...barracco came over and gave stu a big hug after the encore...the place erupted during the after midnight reprise...jk never did the ER and soooo glad the stu went there - was hoping for that for a very long time

quick note

the band took ridiculously long at the beginning of the second set talking about what they were going to play

to the point that Lisa came to the mike and said

"That's why they call it dope" and was play-acting all loopy on stage

it was hilarious!!!!

• Forum MVP

quick note

the band took ridiculously long at the beginning of the second set talking about what they were going to play

to the point that Lisa came to the mike and said

"That's why they call it dope" and was play-acting all loopy on stage

it was hilarious!!!!

Funny stuff! And what they finally figured out looks pretty good!

i heard from a friend who is not on this board and he will not stop going off about the encore...he said it was absolutely insane and the rest of dso were very much feeling it...barracco came over and gave stu a big hug after the encore...the place erupted during the after midnight reprise...jk never did the ER and soooo glad the stu went there - was hoping for that for a very long time

First off, I must clarify that Shakedown was the opener for ME as I got in a little late...Can never forego the pre DSO sushi ritual.. And yes it was a ripping encore...any and all accolades would be spot on...The show for me started out at a high level and had many joyous peaks from there...and who can't handle a little more joy in their lives?! Bird Song was huge, along with Foolish and SOTM...As noted, Eaton came storming out of the gate and Aaron on violin was a complete treat...That aforementioned joy level seemed to kick in big time with his arrival on stage...It felt like Stu's night to me...He had a great night! Lisa sang so beautifully all night but flat out killed on Around and Around...the joint truly was jumpin' as she soulfully BELTED it out! When the smoke cleared (which it never did) it was a big old delicious musical fix for me! Thanks to all that keep this train rolling...

• Forum MVP

First off, I must clarify that Shakedown was the opener for ME as I got in a little late...Can never forego the pre DSO sushi ritual.. And yes it was a ripping encore...any and all accolades would be spot on...The show for me started out at a high level and had many joyous peaks from there...and who can't handle a little more joy in their lives?! Bird Song was huge, along with Foolish and SOTM...As noted, Eaton came storming out of the gate and Aaron on violin was a complete treat...That aforementioned joy level seemed to kick in big time with his arrival on stage...It felt like Stu's night to me...He had a great night! Lisa sang so beautifully all night but flat out killed on Around and Around...the joint truly was jumpin' as she soulfully BELTED it out! When the smoke cleared (which it never did) it was a big old delicious musical fix for me! Thanks to all that keep this train rolling...

Wow, so pumped for socal, great review....

• Forum MVP

BTW, if i ain't mistaken, the consensus with us all here is that there was a Greatest Story Ever Told in the 1st set...after Big RxR Blues, before Cumberland, i thinkin'...

Thanks for remembering. Fixed!

...Also, Lots of new photo links in the set lists section thanks to Gary and Connie

Guest Lisacat

it was just one of those nights- they walked on that stage last night and it was instant X factor- the stars aligned and magic happened. Stu stepped up, the whole band was smiling, and energy exchange between the stage and the audience was completely reciprocal. It was just exactly perfect. And one of the best dancing experiences I have had in a while.

• Forum MVP

...jk never did the ER and soooo glad the stu went there - was hoping for that for a very long time

I believe an older incarnation of DSO played the Midnight>Rigby jam>Midnight in some JGB sets...

cannot wait to hear this show! Especially Standing... Stu's vocals must have shined there..

Guest islanders

Hey y'all,

The missus and I moved to Sonoma two months ago, and for the first time we really felt at home @ the Petaluma show. Must admit, it was my first time with DSO, they blew us away. Like everyone else, loved the After Midnight/Eleanor Rigby thing. And Black Throated Wind, Let It Grow, etc etc.

Anybody out there who would like to befriend a couple of 50 something Dead heads, lost in the Sonoma demographic? Get together for a beer, toke, hike or scrabble game?

"Strangers stopping strangers just to shake their hand"

Elective barnburner! Don't have time for a review right now but it was scorching...For me...night and day from the previous night Shakedown opener and After midnight>Eleanor Rigby(inst)> After Midnight to close....And a wall shaking SOTM!!! Gotta Run!

I believe an older incarnation of DSO played the Midnight>Rigby jam>Midnight in some JGB sets...

cannot wait to hear this show! Especially Standing... Stu's vocals must have shined there..

I saw John do that back years ago at Quixotes in Denver. Pretty sure ir was a Terrapin Nation show. I think they were in between Maratt and the next rhythm player

Archived