Eureka 4/20!

Guest Hanuman

• Forum MVP

Spoiler Alert

Waitin' in line. Soundchecked "The Weight" and "Doin' That Rag". When have they done "Rag" before?

I don't think they have. SOunds like an elective....dso in humboldt on 420, what could be better?

Guest prideofcucamunga

Had fun in Arcata park for 4/20, even though it was a Box of Rain

Can't remember the first set, it was a smoky haze

Second set

Feel Like a Stranger (very good)

Doin That Rag (really weak, disjointed) it was fun to hear an attempt, but it was pretty bad

Playin in the Band (Stu was hurting, Barraco was shining, Barraco drove the playin jam while Stu stood beside him and scrambled)

Uncle John's Band (very good harmony vocals, it was nice to hear Lisa actually sing the harmony right off the album, first verse round starts on the major 7th, second round starts on the 9th)

Drums (very mysterious drums segment, lots of empty space)

Can't remember the rest

We had heard about Stu joining DSO, and had already heard him shine with JGB, but he was a lost cause, he doesn't have the goods that Mattsen has, a dead cover band is way out of his league, Kadlecik was a little better than Stu, but Mattsen shines so well with Barraco, and pushes Eaton to play so much better, DSO would do well to sign Mattsen on for good.

Guest Hanuman

I had a totally different take on Stu last night. Thought he was terrific through most of the material. I saw the Mystic shows, in which I thought Stu was excellent. The whole band seemed a bit exhausted as this was their 5th show on a row. Stu's voice cracked a couple of times, but the show was great fun. Very hot Deal to end the first set.

Was very interesting to see Stu with DSO...added a different dimension, for sure...

The band sounded Grate, even though it was the 5th nite in a row...Deal was rockin !!

It was a wierd vibe last night, IMHO...what was the idea behind the guy who jumped up on stage???

Surely they gave him a proper good-bye!!

And the object that flew up on stage, nailing Rob in the beak...WTF????

Even though the air was thick with smoke, there is no excuse for this kind of behavior...This is not indictitive of those of us who live Behind The Redwood Curtain...

The music was excellent, but after the rowdiness, my buddy and I decided to forgo the afterparty..too bad...

Thankx for including us in the tour...DSO on 4/20 in Humboldt...I'm always there!!!

See ya, Stu, at Uncle John's in August...

Thankx again,

Peace and Light

• Forum MVP

Had fun in Arcata park for 4/20, even though it was a Box of Rain

Can't remember the first set, it was a smoky haze

Second set

Feel Like a Stranger (very good)

Doin That Rag (really weak, disjointed) it was fun to hear an attempt, but it was pretty bad

Playin in the Band (Stu was hurting, Barraco was shining, Barraco drove the playin jam while Stu stood beside him and scrambled)

Uncle John's Band (very good harmony vocals, it was nice to hear Lisa actually sing the harmony right off the album, first verse round starts on the major 7th, second round starts on the 9th)

Drums (very mysterious drums segment, lots of empty space)

Can't remember the rest

We had heard about Stu joining DSO, and had already heard him shine with JGB, but he was a lost cause, he doesn't have the goods that Mattsen has, a dead cover band is way out of his league, Kadlecik was a little better than Stu, but Mattsen shines so well with Barraco, and pushes Eaton to play so much better, DSO would do well to sign Mattsen on for good.

I did an experiment the other night. I opened two tabs in my internet browser on the Archive and on one I pulled up the Feb. show from the variety playhouse in Atlanta with Mattson and on the other I pulled up the 4/14 show that was just uploaded with Stu. Black Throated Wind was played at both shows. Listen to each and specifically on the jam near the end of BTW (this is one of my favorite songs and I love the jam near the end). Draw your own conclusions.

Either way and no matter what happens, :dsorocks:, Stu Rocks, Mattson Rocks, but one seems a better fit in DSO than the other (IMHO).

• Band Member

Nobody hit me with anything. I stumbled on the way back to the drums, (tight quarters back there), and knocked my nose on the edge of one of Dino's cymbals. Quite the bleeder, but all is well.

Really having a good time out there. Stu is playing great and gaining more confidence with every show. No easy feat jumpin on this train.

• Forum MVP

Nobody hit me with anything. I stumbled on the way back to the drums, (tight quarters back there), and knocked my nose on the edge of one of Dino's cymbals. Quite the bleeder, but all is well.

Really having a good time out there. Stu is playing great and gaining more confidence with every show. No easy feat jumpin on this train.

Walking wounded. Take care in Reno; it is a full contact town...

• Forum MVP

Glad your ok. Big difference between Matteson and Stu, Matteson has played with the band on numerous occasions and brings years of experience, Stu has not played with the band and is less experienced (in years). Give the guy a chance....

By february 27th Mattson had played quite a few more shows than Stu has thus far.

I think you're judging a lil early...perhaps you should listen to a BTW a week or so after Mattson first joined to get a slightly more appropriate comparison. Also take into consideration Mattson has played with the whole band more...especially with Barraco.

Stu has the ability to make a whole room stand still...and then lift it up into the cosmic heavens of sound and perception for a dance with your inner angels.

I imagine this occurred at the show where they played Black Peter and Eaton's jaw was dropped to the floor...the same thing happened to me during a Black Peter in Tulsa last year. Stu can grab your soul with his sound and it's hard to do anything but stand mesmerized.

Soul.

Go...Run and see...

420 + tight quarters = stumbling koritz!

Battle wounds go with the territory. Hope it didn't mess up that pretty face.....Susan wouldn't like that. The train is a rolling and will be for a long time. Hard for anyone to jump on a fast moving train! Keep havn' fun! Best to you and Susan

Archived