Jk Band In Baltimore 5/14

gr8fulauditors

I'm thinking of heading down since the price is right and its only about 30mins from the homestead. I dont think The Senator Theater will be most ideal place to see a show,in fact I've never even heard of a band playing there before.For those who have never been there its a vintage movie theater that has fallen on hard times lately,I was last there when the original Star Wars movies were re-released in the late 90's.Its configured with seats as a movie theater,much like the State Theater in York or the Keswick from NYE a couple of years ago.

• Forum MVP

I'm thinking of heading down since the price is right and its only about 30mins from the homestead. I dont think The Senator Theater will be most ideal place to see a show,in fact I've never even heard of a band playing there before.For those who have never been there its a vintage movie theater that has fallen on hard times lately,I was last there when the original Star Wars movies were re-released in the late 90's.Its configured with seats as a movie theater,much like the State Theater in York or the Keswick from NYE a couple of years ago.

Actually these are my favorite types of venues.

The art deco former movie theaters are classics as they wreak with character and vibes of yesteryear.

• Advisory Board

I think that was the last time I was at the Senator myself... with you.... when Star Wars was out playing...

Parking around that place is a bitch, just so y'all know, and it's not in the BEST part of town, so lock up when you leave your vehicle!

• Forum MVP

we are definitely coming up for this! we live in SC, but will be in Richmond to get a cargo carrier for the top of our car from my brother for summer tour, and though I thought we wouldn't be able to make it, miracles occurred and we will be there in the front per usual :) hope to see some familiar faces, and if anyone has a spot on their floor for us to crash, we'd appreciate it! YAAAAAY!

• Advisory Board

So..... I am just comming back from this.....er..... show....

I'm not gonna post what I really think about the John K Band because I know most of you all can't handle anything other then "JK is God",.. I will say their keyboard player was fantastic, and that I enjoyed a few of the songs they played as a whole, and JK did tear up a few tunes, (in a good way of course), but that's about all you're gonna get out of me....

Now the band following them... The Wharf Rats... Wow... what a true hunk of shit that was! Apparently they are scheduled to play 3 sets... I left after 3 songs... hurt my ears SO much... and I wasn't the only one leaving after 3 songs... there were a few other people following us right out the door...

To each their own with their own musical tastes, likes and dislikes, but wow... I think any high school Grateful Dead garage band could and would do better then what the Wharf Rats did... I should of known better when I found out they were a local Baltimore Grateful Dead cover band who have been around for a while................and yet I never heard of them before..

If you don't believe me, then by all means go see for yourself and then you can make your own statements....

Hey is anyone else headiing to Baltimore to see JK play on the 14th.I don't think DSO is playing next store so no one should be upset.His last show is up on archive and he sounds really good.Originals and some covers.For $10 you can't go wrong.

Just wondering if you got to meet any forum folks?

I recall we were @ a few of the same shows in the past & never met.....Are you going to Montclair DSO show?

What did you think of last nights show?

Peace,

Rob

Just wondering if you got to meet any forum folks?

I recall we were @ a few of the same shows in the past & never met.....Are you going to Montclair DSO show?

What did you think of last nights show?

Peace,

Rob

I'm sorry to say that my wife and I did not meet anyone from the forum.Had I known there was a sighting to be reported I would have made it clear who I was.BUT right after JK's set we had to leave because our youngest was sick at his friends and we were 2 hrs. from home.I agree with Herdy it was only ok. John was John and that is why I went. And the keyboard player was good.John was nice and signed a poster for me.All in all it was ok but the strom to get there was CRAZY!!!!We will be at both Brooklyn,Penns Peak,Mass,both Mann center and both Nokia shows.Seems like alot of you bailed on Furthur but if any of you decide to go,lets get together and talk some music. :shakehandhug:

John K Band setlist from 5/14/10 @ the Senator Theater in Baltimore, MD:

2001 (Thus Spoke Zarathustra)

Nobody Told Me

Seen Love

Feel Like Dynamite

Cleaning Windows

The Business

Suzy Greenberg

Page 43

Harder They Come

What's Become of Mary

Sister Smiles

How Sweet It Is

This band is about picking up where I left off when DSO stopped being a Tuesday night house-band/side-project (yes, DSO was originally a "side-project") and became a full-time touring band... Seen Love, What's Become of Mary, & Sister Smiles are Hairball Willie songs from the early/mid 90's... I used to cover Phish songs in that time period as well, when Phish was still playing smaller places than DSO is now... I have another 6-8 "old" original songs to work up with this gang and then get started on some new songs.

Thanks, everyone! We had a great time!

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there" - George Harrison

• Forum MVP

I'm sorry to say that my wife and I did not meet anyone from the forum.Had I known there was a sighting to be reported I would have made it clear who I was.BUT right after JK's set we had to leave because our youngest was sick at his friends and we were 2 hrs. from home.I agree with Herdy it was only ok. John was John and that is why I went. And the keyboard player was good.John was nice and signed a poster for me.All in all it was ok but the strom to get there was CRAZY!!!!We will be at both Brooklyn,Penns Peak,Mass,both Mann center and both Nokia shows.Seems like alot of you bailed on Furthur but if any of you decide to go,lets get together and talk some music. :shakehandhug:

Next time.

Sorry to hear about your youngest. I will be at several of those shows you listed.

• Forum MVP

Next time.

Sorry to hear about your youngest. I will be at several of those shows you listed.

Sorry to hear about your youngest , also ... I'll be at a few of them myself , we'll have to figure something out for pre-show when we get a little closer to the shows ... :)

• Forum MVP

I have another 6-8 "old" original songs to work up with this gang and then get started on some new songs.

Thanks, everyone! We had a great time!

No thank you. Looking forward to hearing some of that new stuff.

• Forum MVP

we'll be at the Furthur shows that aren't during any festivals :) get in touch and let's meet up :)

Chuck, I know we'll be seeing you soooon! it's been too long!

we had a wonderful time at JK Band, we were pleased to have lots of dancing room in front of him- as this is becoming a rare occurrence. the keyboard player was really fun to hear, and Katy was great. mostly, we enjoyed the vibe in the room, and enjoyed meeting others that just wanna see John play. but yeah, the Wharf Rats were um, lacking. I danced as along as I could because its the polite thing to do and they deserved a bit of enthusiasm as everyone but their friends left the building after JK. We really enjoyed seeing John play the fiddle with them even though it looked to be a bit of a struggle to play with a band that wasn't exactly at his level of musicianship. Katy made their "drums" worth listening to :) We saw their setlist and it was a page and a half long.... we left because we were tired and had a long drive home the next day.

I am pretty sure we have been incredibly spoiled, musically speaking, by DSO, and I don't think any GD cover band could ever "take me there".... they are just covering the music not letting it move them, and as far as I have heard, DSO is the only band letting GD music move through them like the ear electricity it is.... and thank all that is good for THAT :)

Archived