Rehearsal 6/3

sakada

Soundcheck (that I heard...maybe more b4 i got here?...ahhh, this was soundchecked, feelin alright, too)

mooly gooly (what Jeff C. had2say of it)

Colors of the rain (new phil/hunter...again, what jc calld it)

jam (5+min) >

help (bw & jk) >

slip !!!!!!!!!!!! >

golden rd !!!!!!!

Cassdidy ( gr8 jam)

Roses (sweet sweet)

maggies farm (funky)

peaceful valley (played well, tho magnolia mtn my fave of the r.adams songs...regardless, jk very from the heart with this, musically tight...)

jam (nifty cool) >

welcome to the dance

TERRAPIN !!!! (oh fuck YES, ALL of it!!!!!!) >

other one !!!!!!! (MONSTER & out there in here, whoaness) >

FrAnKLinS !!!!!

donor rap

$$4gasoline

I'll post some more tomorrow after some much needed sleep, but I just had to put it out right now that this was a completely different band than the one I saw on Tuesday night. This was a MONSTER set from start to finish!!! One of the finest two hours of live music I've ever witnessed. I was actually bored on Tuesday, but this show had so much damn energy that the room was crackling!! WELL DONE, GUYS!! Also noticed that the sound quality was much better. Jeff was turned up louderand he was kicking ass. JK was completely tearing up the stage. Russo was a complete dynamo. Bobby was in his zone and Phil looked blissed out. What a difference two nights can make!!

• Forum MVP

I'll post some more tomorrow after some much needed sleep, but I just had to put it out right now that this was a completely different band than the one I saw on Tuesday night. This was a MONSTER set from start to finish!!! One of the finest two hours of live music I've ever witnessed. I was actually bored on Tuesday, but this show had so much damn energy that the room was crackling!! WELL DONE, GUYS!! Also noticed that the sound quality was much better. Jeff was turned up louderand he was kicking ass. JK was completely tearing up the stage. Russo was a complete dynamo. Bobby was in his zone and Phil looked blissed out. What a difference two nights can make!!

Russo wasn't feeling well on the past couple of days , strep throat and a fever ... sounds like he feels better ...

• Forum MVP

Like Sakada said, they did the entire Terrapin Suite---pretty cool stuff. Phil and John were doing some seriously crazy shit up there.

This, for me , was (by far) the best show of the run. It seemed like the entire universe was begging for a Hunter/Garcia ballad after that Other One...a Come a Time, a Dew, a Stella, a Rat...just seemed like the world's thirst would have been quenched right there on the spot with the first note of any of those...but wasn't to be. Would have turned a really good show into an insane show in my mind. Was a lot of fun nonetheless though---especially the Terrapin Suite>Other One.

The changes of note for this three pack were Bob singing the Tenn Jed; all three sharing the Lazy River Road; all three singing the Headlight verse of Rider in 1970 style (calm and soft) and Bob sharing the Help with John--for those still keeping score.

Like Sakada said, they did the entire Terrapin Suite---pretty cool stuff. Phil and John were doing some seriously crazy shit up there.

This, for me , was (by far) the best show of the run. It seemed like the entire universe was begging for a Hunter/Garcia ballad after that Other One...a Come a Time, a Dew, a Stella, a Rat...just seemed like the world's thirst would have been quenched right there on the spot with the first note of any of those...but wasn't to be. Would have turned a really good show into an insane show in my mind. Was a lot of fun nonetheless though---especially the Terrapin Suite>Other One.

The changes of note for this three pack were John singing the Tenn Jed; all three sharing the Lazy River Road; all three singing the Headlight verse of Rider in 1970 style (calm and soft) and Bob sharing the Help with John--for those still keeping score.

Thank you thank you!!!I promise to give timely reviews like these when this band hits my coast.HONESTY is a must.We ALL love these guys so we should be able to share our thoughts with each other,even if sometimes,we might not like what each other is saying.If you have invested as much time effort and cash in this music as we have,then we get to say if these guys "sucked tonight" or "wow,holy shit,that was awesome" if you are an outsider who doesn't take the time to listen,then keep any uninformed opinions to yourself.

Peace Tom Sounded like a GRATE night!!!!!!

• Forum MVP

The changes of note for this three pack were John singing the Tenn Jed

John did the Jed at Barton Hall also.

Glad to hear this show (largely) stepped up to the plate. It has the look of a coherent body of music, as opposed to a rehearsal. Now of course, these ARE rehearsals, so what can we really expect? That doesn't mean you can't hope the band gets creative with a set like this rather than give the feeling it is just working up one song after the next with no meaningful flow. I mean, book-ending a set with Help>Slip and Franklins? That goes above and beyond the concept of "rehearsal".

As for your ballad slot, David, be careful what you wish for. Standing On The Moon is up in the rotation as well. :(

• Forum MVP

Thank you thank you!!!I promise to give timely reviews like these when this band hits my coast.HONESTY is a must.We ALL love these guys so we should be able to share our thoughts with each other,even if sometimes,we might not like what each other is saying.If you have invested as much time effort and cash in this music as we have,then we get to say if these guys "sucked tonight" or "wow,holy shit,that was awesome" if you are an outsider who doesn't take the time to listen,then keep any uninformed opinions to yourself.

In the realm of the subjective, such as the creation and appreciation of artistic endeavours, who is the arbiter of "honesty?" By whose standard is "honesty" to be judged? Yours? Mine? Holden Caulfield's?

Who determines the cut-off point for investments in time, effort, and money that renders one's opinion worthy of expression and consideration? Time = money, effort = travel, but at what point do all the years combine to make one's judgment more than the mere babblings of a dilettante?

If one man gathers what another man spills, who then is the outsider?

• Forum MVP

:)

this just looks awesome.... Cannot believe they did At A Siding.

Can someone tell me about this "Colors Of The Rain"... this is serious stuff if Phil has a new song with Hunter... the title is beautiful.

I believe this is Phil's new Modulous... a bit smaller, looks wonderful.

540565.jpg

Can someone tell me about this "Colors Of The Rain"... this is serious stuff if Phil has a new song with Hunter... the title is beautiful.

540565.jpg

Now THAT was an awesome night of music! Everybody played with confidence and with one mind...My best Furthur experience thus far. Phil was ablaze and so was Russo...Man that guy can play! A lot of joy coming off that stage last night...and a very loving audience vibe too...I'll carry this show around with me through the weekend...To those of you going to Mountain Jam...have a blast!

Well after reading your quoted post-I sit here wondering the same questions as ChuckVegas commented on.

Is a bio required to list your GD experience(ex. shows before In the Dark-when the masses discovered The Grateful Dead).Will it need to include expenditures touring to follow GD/JGB? Are you going to be the judge of who is an outsider an need keep thier uninformed opinions to themselves(or will there be a panel of GD guru's)?

I once thought :The internet is a great asset to the community to help us stay connected & share feedback- It has become so bogged down with BS lately, I'm ready to revert to the old method of dialing friends to keep in touch & just leaving the internet to the manure spreaders!

See' Ya on the Road,

Rob

Just to add a few comments from what I posted when I got home exhausted but also exhilarated last night--I woke up still buzzing from last night's great perfomance. This is always for me the way to tell if a show REALLY was as good as you thought right afterwards. Completely negates the lackluster performance of Tuesday. It's hard to pick the highlight, since they were completely on all evening. However, that complete Terrapin and the jammed-out Peaceful Valley were probably my favorite parts of the show. I agree with David that the one thing that would have sent this single-set show into complete orbit would have been a JK sung ballad. I too was hoping for a Dew or Stella, but you can't have everything. John certainly wasn't being constrained one bit, which I have felt with dismay at some other Furthur shows. One thing I noticed was that Phil seemed to be satisfied to just stand back and let the band do it's thing. He only spoke to the bandmembers throught their earpieces a couple of times. I think this is a good thing--just let the band run with it.

The vibe in the room was also completely different from Tuesday. Gone were the obnoxious talkers. It seemed that everyone was paying attention and grooving to this fantastic display of musical prowess. I was dead center about 3 people back, right in front of Bobby. I was rather amazed at how polite and respectful people were about letting you have the space you earned by arriving early. At a normal show, this area would be very uncomfortable, with many people bulldozing their way up until it was a sardine packed war-zone. These rehearal shows can really spoil you when the band is delivering the goods!!!

• Forum MVP

John did the Jed at Barton Hall also.

I wasn't at Barton but I do recall Bobby singing some of the Jed while listening on my earphones.

I had downed only had a couple beers by that point.

EDIT--- I confused this issue because I said John sang it when I should have said Bob sang it in Marin, which was a change so my bad.

I think the actual difference was Bob took the first verse in Marin and John took the first verse in Ithica--but I guess they are still sharing it. I know it was a surprise when Bob stepped up to the mic to sing that first verse...same for the LRR and even more of a surprise for the Tons of Steel.

Personally, I don't really think it works when they do the share the song thing. There might be one or two where that kind of thing might work (think it did with Death and the Weight with the GD to a certain point) but overall, it feels more genuine when one person sings the song.

The Lazy River and the Tons of Steel are perfect recent example of them making a song feel forced and almost unhinged because of sharing verses. It seems like Bob is not going to stop doing it but, at some point, I would guess he would tire of the novelty.

Share the vocals to a song like Touch and be done with it!

Also...I agree with everyone who is lavishing praise onto Joe Russo. This guy is just a monster, plain and simple and it's clear to all of us that this band shall not seek and will not accept a second drummer.

Well well, could it BE that ALL the children are getting along in here today?

My highlites of 3 nites:

bucket,cold rain (xtended jam)>masons,little lite

china > rider

TONS OF STEEL (I dig them all sharing verses, actually...lazy river worked for me like that...)

help>slip>golden rd (NOletdown of it AT ALL!!!)

terrapin suite (duh)>

other one! >

franklins

ROSES

Tennessee (mmm the jams)

2djinn (I very very so like this song)

the 2new songs soundchecked are super cool,too...mooly gooly is fun & Colors of the Rain is BEautiful !!!

NONE of it was boring!!!! & again, what crowd? There were other people there?

Colors Of The Rain? anyone?

No idea...Ryan Adams wrote a song recently called the color of pain...??? Phil def loves RA... clip from last night...prob my least fave song of the night but a decent recording...at about 5 min in JK starts to light up

Well after reading your quoted post-I sit here wondering the same questions as ChuckVegas commented on.

Is a bio required to list your GD experience(ex. shows before In the Dark-when the masses discovered The Grateful Dead).Will it need to include expenditures touring to follow GD/JGB? Are you going to be the judge of who is an outsider an need keep thier uninformed opinions to themselves(or will there be a panel of GD guru's)?

I once thought :The internet is a great asset to the community to help us stay connected & share feedback- It has become so bogged down with BS lately, I'm ready to revert to the old method of dialing friends to keep in touch & just leaving the internet to the manure spreaders!

See' Ya on the Road,

Rob

AGAIN, I'm seriously misunderstood.When I say "outsider" I mean like your father-in-law.Not people that go and listen.I was saying I like to hear EVERYONE heres opinion on these things.WE are ALL insiders here!!!!Now do you get it?

'

• Forum MVP

AGAIN, I'm seriously misunderstood.When I say "outsider" I mean like your father-in-law.Not people that go and listen.I was saying I like to hear EVERYONE heres opinion on these things.WE are ALL insiders here!!!!Now do you get it?

'

I still don't. I for one certainly don't think of people as "insiders" or "outsiders"...we are all one.

No idea...Ryan Adams wrote a song recently called the color of pain...??? Phil def loves RA... clip from last night...prob my least fave song of the night but a decent recording...at about 5 min in JK starts to light up

Thanks for providing that great clip!! The sound quality is WAY better than most video from these events.

540565.jpg

here you go Vincent....

In the realm of the subjective, such as the creation and appreciation of artistic endeavours, who is the arbiter of "honesty?" By whose standard is "honesty" to be judged? Yours? Mine? Holden Caulfield's?

Who determines the cut-off point for investments in time, effort, and money that renders one's opinion worthy of expression and consideration? Time = money, effort = travel, but at what point do all the years combine to make one's judgment more than the mere babblings of a dilettante?

So eloquent!!

It's never been better said.

Chuck could write a menu and it would read like poignant poetry... :]

• Forum MVP

Chuck, is it OK if I occasionally send you some dribbling random thoughts and have you crystalize them with eloquence and class into something that halts the floodwaters....... you are 'da man.... :cheers:

• Forum MVP

one more decent clip:

The song definitely picks up when JK takes over the vocals ... I don't think I've ever seen Bobby look so muscularly defined , he must be hitting the gym everyday ... his arms are ripped !!!

Archived