Mexicali Blooze

Guest crazy digits

• Forum MVP

The word I heard:

Set 1(acoustic): Deep Elem, Silver Threads, Rosalie McFall, Operator, Monkey and Engineer, Lazy River Road, Big Iron>Jack a Roe, Masterpiece, Sweet Chariot, Cassidy, Midnight Moonlight

Set 2: Heaven Help the Fool, Wake Up Little Suzie, Bird Song, On the Road Again, Lindy, Bobby McGee, Run Mary, Gomorrah, WRS Prelude, Part 1, Let it Grow, California Earthquake, Walking in Sunshine, Ripple

Encore: Cold Jordan

OMG.

swing low sweet chariot and cold jordan in one...love it.

and thanks to the friend who called me during a couple special songs :) It sure is nice to be thought about and I sure am thinking of all of you! xoxo

PS loved hearing the Cold Jordan voicemail. This band still manages to put a big old shit eating grin on my face.

Show was great! Good to see and dance with so many familiar faces and can't wait for the next show! Highlights for me were Rosalie McFall, Sweet Chariot, Midnight, Bird Song, & California Earthquake. Jeff can certainly play that guitar.

Kyle

PS California Earthquake was something i've been wanting to hear for a long time, so good!!!

• Forum MVP

The word I heard:

Set 1(acoustic): Deep Elem, Silver Threads, Rosalie McFall, Operator, Monkey and Engineer, Lazy River Road, Big Iron>Jack a Roe, Masterpiece, Sweet Chariot, Cassidy, Midnight Moonlight

Set 2: Heaven Help the Fool, Wake Up Little Suzie, Bird Song, On the Road Again, Lindy, Bobby McGee, Run Mary, Gomorrah, WRS Prelude, Part 1, Let it Grow, California Earthquake, Walking in Sunshine, Ripple

OMG.

I'm thinking Sweet Chariot or Gamorrah/California Earthquake took the place of a possible To Lay Me Down...guess you can't complain about that one bit.

• Forum MVP

I'm thinking Sweet Chariot or Gamorrah/California Earthquake took the place of a possible To Lay Me Down...guess you can't complain about that one bit.

Gomorrah? Cali Earthquake? Chariot? Cold Jordan to wrap it? GULP! How about an acoustic/recreation? Filmore 1970?

Looks like a very good time @ Mexi....

So last night I was too tired to write much, so here goes. It's getting ridiculous saying that this was the best but let me tell you this was up there with those special DSO moments we have all experienced. So glad I made it. The venue has improved since the last time DSO played there. They had air conditioning and fans and even though the crowd created heat it was not the sauna I remember well from the last performance. The crowd was fantastic other than the stink bomb someone set off in the first set. Honestly why would someone do that?

I had my eyes closed most of the show just swaying to the music singing along when the moment inspired me. The harmonizing between the band was over the top last night. Absolutely beautiful. I love acoustic music and the band played it exceptionally well. There needs to be more of this no question about it.

I believe the set list was impeccably delievered. To give significance to anyone song is difficult, they were all great. However I am so thrilled to have heard Lindy, Rosalie McFall and California Earthquake. Swing Low, Sweet Chariot was poignantly done, I could go on and on and on.

To all that were there so glad you made it. For all those who weren't you were missed. See you soon...

Peace and Love Kris

The word I heard:

Set 1(acoustic): Deep Elem, Silver Threads, Rosalie McFall, Operator, Monkey and Engineer, Lazy River Road, Big Iron>Jack a Roe, Masterpiece, Sweet Chariot^,Cassidy, Midnight Moonlight

Set 2: ^^Heaven Help the Fool,Wake Up Little Suzie, Bird Song, On the Road Again, Lindy, Bobby McGee, Run Mary, Gomorrah, WRS Prelude, Part 1, Let it Grow, California Earthquake, Walking in Sunshine, Ripple

OMG.

^ Left the show to blaze a huge doob in the parking lot next to the venue

^^ Eaton: "Either someone threw a stink bomb towards the stage or someone in here has really bad gas."

• Forum MVP

^ Left the show to blaze a huge doob in the parking lot next to the venue

Thank God standards were maintained.

And thanks to friends for the set list and for the telephonic song-sharing. Now I just need to get electrostatic speakers for my phone to do the tunes justice...

• Forum MVP

Greg, someone beat me to it last night but I had it!

But anyways what a special night! Love me a good HOOTENANNY!

Deep Elem ripped. Everyone got comfortable and let loose. Love Deep Elem as an opener. Song selection was unbelievable... Silver Thread, Rosalee McFall (WOW), Operator (Go Rob B GO!), Monkey and Engineer, come on Eaton, you should know those lyrics by now ;)

Lazy River was so sweet and mellow. Very pretty. Once Big Iron started up I knew we were in for a Jack-A-Roe based on the elective set list from last week. That combo was on fire. Loved it! Time for a little Dylan with Matserpiece. Had to be held down by a big police during that one. Swing Low Sweet Chariot... how could anyone ever possibly complain about that song choice, too good. Cassidy was very tight and Midnight Moonlight was a helluva way to end the set.

Heaven Help had a GREAT jam. Sounded really good. Wake Up Little Suzie and On The Road Again :) Lindy was cool to hear. Never heard it live before and didn't see it coming at all. Bobby McGee was exceptional. Run Mary... I really love that tune. It's all right with me if you guys and gal wanna keep playing that one. Keeps me dancing. Gommorrah :wub: Weather Report Suite was just nutsss! Let It Grow twisted in every which direction. CA Earthquake :) Walk In The Sunshine had a very good sound to it. Nice choice for the show. Ripple, perfect ending for the set. The only way I know how to compliment that is with Cold Jordan so WAY TO GO DSO!

But my favorite song of the night was probably Birdsong. Just unbelievable :) Everyone was soooo into it. Great navigation by the band and communicating with each other. Made for some truly beautiful music.

Loved the intimate setting. Band sounded great on aoustic. Can't wait to do that again... Rob B was tickling the ivories soooo good all night long. Kevin, Eaton, and Jeff had great chemistry. Those guys just know how to do it. Lisa sounded superb on her songs. Rob K and Dino were also doing a great job. They really let loose up there and had a lot fo fun.vDSO is the best. The know how to nail all the sounds... acoustic, 80's, 69, Europe 72, etc. So thank you for a real good time.

I was hoping for The Race is On, To Lay me Down, or China Doll but i can't even think about complaining about missing out on those with THAT setlist.

See ya in DE

One of the cooler shows I have ever been to.......and admittedly I didn't recognize half the songs that were played.

Something about the blues cafe that just has the perfect feel....acoustic show really captured that. Highlights of the first set for me were probably Big Iron>Jack of Roe and the Lazy River. I would have loved to have heard the Midnight Moonlight closer but was dealing with my friend outside who was completely shitfaced and expressionless. Coaxed him back inside for the second because leaving a DSO show early is not an option...especially not on this night. Great Gomorrah in the second set, Weather Report was dead on and California Earthquake was a song I never expected to hear and probably the highlight of the night. I hadn't smoked inside the cafe up to that point, but I had no choice but to discreetly light up a bowl with this one. I'm not usually much of a Bird Song guy, but this version was the way the song should be played. All in all a special show and one I'm glad to have caught.

What better way to spend a Monday night, indeed !!! A truly inspired evening of acoustic tunes, many of which I had never even hoped to witness, came bubbling forth, and the band seemed to be having a blast. Of special note in the first set was..... well...... the whole darn thing, but there were several highlights. I LOVED the Rosalie McFall, with it's bluegrass flavor and great vocals by Jeff. Operator was fun, and Rob Barracco sounded a bit like Pigpen at times. I think Lazy River Road was a perfect choice in this set, as the acoustic guitars really lend warmth and character to this tune, and Jeff was also in very fine voice here. The Big Iron > Jack A Roe medley was full of playful back-and-forth between Jeff and Rob Eaton, not forgetting amazing fills by the Bandana man. Swing Low was heartfelt harmony, and transported me to the deep South, and back, in the space of five minutes. and finally getting a Midnight Moonlight was like icing on a very velvety cake. The break was so easy.... just a few paces to the street, hanging with folks in an environment of peace, with absolutely no cops (that I saw), and, lots of smiles, hugs, and only the hint of the nitrous mafia.

Back inside for the second set, things started off very laid back with an immediately recognizable Heaven Help jam, which Mr. Barracco claimed was his first attempt at playing, and it was a nice way to warm up the crowd for what was to come. Wake Up Little Suzie took everyone by surprise, and it was expertly delivered by all bandmates.... fun, but oh so short. Bird Song was oh so sweeeeeeet... long, crafty leads by Mr. Mattson, built up to a pretty intense climax, and gracefully came back to earth with the whole band wrapping around him to finish. The Lindy hop was just fucking hilarious, and also very well done. Jeff did the birdy voice inflection so well, and Eaton was cracking up over it. I am a fan of Run Mary, and I was thrilled to hear that Robert Hunter has been working with them, as they so deserve. Lisa really leads on this original number, and she was beaming and belting like I had never seen her do before. The stage was so small, and the others band members so close, that she appeared to be carrying the band to new heights.... and the crowd responded in kind. The surprises continued with Gomorrah, which I have always loved. Something about the twist on Biblical shit that reminds me so much of Jerry. Once again, Lisa brought so much warmth to this tune, and Jeff's vocals were also outstanding. Next up was an almost flawless Weather Report Suite that my life partner, Mike, categorized as "just simply beautiful". I would have to agree.... and I am convinced that this piece is best played acoustically. Mr. Eaton really shined here, and it was a highlight of the evening for me (of many). California Earthquake also rattled my cage, in a good way, with Jeff commanding the room like a pirate, spinning tales of yore. Jeff asked the audience afterword how may knew that song, and I was one of the few who raised their hand. I knew the GD had only performed this number a couple of times in late 1989, but I still have my soundboard tape from 10/23/89 of them doing this song, and DSO's came very close to the sound and feel of the original. I never expected Walk In The Sunshine, especially so late in the show, but it was decently sung by Rob E., and was also a highlight for me. Ace is a great album, and I have always had a fondness for this song, but I'm not sure why. Ripple was a fitting end to this amazing set of acoustic music, and the harmonies were just exactly perfect. A Cold Jordan encore put the night to rest in a quiet, reflective way.... and now i reflect back on how lucky Mike and I were to be there.

Peace

Topher

Archived