The Klein - New Years Eve, Eve

Tea

• Forum MVP

I just woke up in this blue light cheap hotel on my way to CT and wonder what went down the night before. Is there anybody out there? Just nod if you can hear me, is there anyone....who can give me a setlist?

See you bitches tonite...!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just woke up in this blue light cheap hotel on my way to CT and wonder what went down the night before. Is there anybody out there? Just nod if you can hear me, is there anyone....who can give me a setlist?

I'm curious too. Had a buddy there and said it was wild. All I know is that they got a Greatest Story ever told and I've been chasing this song for over a year now and somehow always miss it. Guess thats part of the fun :) Buddy called me during GSET and boy did it sound funky! Bad was on fire I heard. Cant wait for tonight!

• Forum MVP

3 hours from paydirt! Here is last nites effort:

Original Setlist

Terrapin Nation Set:

I Just Want To Celebrate (Rare Earth) ; Tempted (Squeeze) ; Run Mary (Dark Star Orchestra / Robert Hunter) ; Act Naturally (Buck Owens ... Beatles version) ; It Makes No Difference ( The Band) ; Mansion On The Hill (Neil Young) ; White Rabbit (Jefferson Airplane)

Dark Star Orchestra Set One:

Alabama Getaway > Greatest Story ; Bird Song ; New Minglewood Blues ; China Cat Sunflower > I Know You Rider > The Music Never Stopped

Dark Star Orchestra Set Two:

Shakedown Street; Estimated Prophet > Fire On The Mountain > Weather Report Suite > Let It Grow > Drums > Space > Let It Grow > Black Muddy River > Going Down The Road Feeling Bad

Encore: Overseas Stomp (Lindbergh Hop) > New Orleans

Oh me oh my. Act naturally, mansion on the hill, white rabbitt? So sweet. That 2nd set looks a bit filthy and greasy to me. I can't wait to see what's left in the tank for tonight. Anyone care to share their thoughts on 12/30?

• Forum MVP

Anyone care to share their thoughts on 12/30?

Well, it was a drag having to work instead of being at the show. Same with today.

But as far as the show goes, my on-site sources were giving it real-time rave reviews. But they are biased in favor of Greatful Dead and other quality music played exceptionally well, so I don't know how much they can be trusted.

Surely I can't be the only one who's DYING to hear "White Rabbit" with Lisa on vocals!

Ha, that's funny. I was thinking about how (with as much respect as I can muster) her presence on stage is about the most distracting and annoying thing on planet dead. But, she sounded ok on White Rabbit. The TNation set was interesting, the "Makes No Difference" was a highlight. I thought you could even pick up a Robbie Robertson vibe to the guitar...

2nd set rocked, and built as it went... Goin' Down the Road exploded... While I still miss John, they made it rock. (If only that pointless stage-whirling wasn't going on, it wouldn't make my head hurt, but, good on them what enjoy it...)

Hope Friday was as good as Thursday.

• Forum MVP

Ha, that's funny. I was thinking about how (with as much respect as I can muster) her presence on stage is about the most distracting and annoying thing on planet dead. But, she sounded ok on White Rabbit. The TNation set was interesting, the "Makes No Difference" was a highlight. I thought you could even pick up a Robbie Robertson vibe to the guitar...

2nd set rocked, and built as it went... Goin' Down the Road exploded... While I still miss John, they made it rock. (If only that pointless stage-whirling wasn't going on, it wouldn't make my head hurt, but, good on them what enjoy it...)

There are many of us here that get quite excited when we see Lisa's mic on stage , and also , find her energy to be very up-lifting , I'm one of the many ... if you search through the forum you'll see that we don't all share the exact same opinion on every subject regarding DSO and Grateful Dead music , except for this one ... and , of course , we all know the old saying about "opinions" ... cool.gif

• Forum MVP

Ha, that's funny. I was thinking about how (with as much respect as I can muster) her presence on stage is about the most distracting and annoying thing on planet dead. But, she sounded ok on White Rabbit.

(If only that pointless stage-whirling wasn't going on, it wouldn't make my head hurt, but, good on them what enjoy it...)

Really??? Let me just say that you are the absolute first person that i've ever heard say that. I, for one, think that he presence on stage is wonderful. "Pointless stage-whilring" That's some serious hatorade. :icon13:

Really??? Let me just say that you are the absolute first person that i've ever heard say that. I, for one, think that he presence on stage is wonderful. "Pointless stage-whilring" That's some serious hatorade. :icon13:

Well, I tried to say that as delicately as I could, yet honestly. And, I also very clearly know many like her stage presence, and I'm in no way at all down on that. And, I'm not about to tell others what to enjoy, or the band what they should do. So, if it works for you, great.

Back in the day, I thought Donna was very cool to watch on stage. In later years, part of me wondered about that... So, I could/or better, do have my own bias. Ok?

But, without hate, I'll just say that endless white girl spinning (not even good DeadGrrrl dancing) just drives me bonkers and the headphone spinning is even worse. Since we're here in Dead-land, DSO-land, we with good reason avoid the hatorade...I'm with you. So, I think no one mentions this. But, I don't think I'm the only one. But, I also don't really care. FWIW (which I acknowledge ain't much), for me, when I've asked others about it, we're of the same mind....which is, eh, who cares, the show is GREAT. But, otherwise, oy oy oy. And, for what DSO does, which is have great players doing the band proud, I'm so glad they have her and that she's comfortable in her role.

Dancing on the head of a pin to express an honest PERSONAL view, without offending anyone else's enjoyment, I remain,

yours in dead...

But, without hate, I'll just say that endless white girl spinning (not even good DeadGrrrl dancing) just drives me bonkers and the headphone spinning is even worse.

Without hate or disrespect, try closing your eyes. Or watch the twirly things on the ceiling. Or just download.

What really drives me bonkers is the way Dino sometimes scratches his knee. I can't stop focusing on it. ;)

Also how Rob B. bobs his head. ewww. :blink:

And why are they all white?

Without hate or disrespect, try closing your eyes. Or watch the twirly things on the ceiling. Or just download.

I agree!

Except the download part...cuz, live...the joy we all have of this live has a side benefit, there's usually someone whose dancing I really do enjoy standing either between me and the stage, or nearby, and it's a pleasure to watch the spirit. You'll never get me to not find that other thing up there above not enormously annoying, and never make me really care about it, cuz, we go alot more good going down... :-)

• Forum MVP

"But, without hate, I'll just say that endless white girl spinning (not even good DeadGrrrl dancing)"

Ok, you aren't helping your cause at all here. Why does it matter that she is white? and what the fuck does "not even good deadgrrrl dancing" mean? I'm sorry but you just dont' say dumb shit like this without taking some shit back. Don't hate on lisa. :icon13:

"But, without hate, I'll just say that endless white girl spinning (not even good DeadGrrrl dancing)"

Ok, you aren't helping your cause at all here. Why does it matter that she is white? and what the fuck does "not even good deadgrrrl dancing" mean? I'm sorry but you just dont' say dumb shit like this without taking some shit back. Don't hate on lisa. :icon13:

It's ok, I can take it. And, do understand, I'm totally trying to tell you...I'm glad she's there, I'm glad you or anyone else enjoy her stage presence, I wouldn't want to change a thing.

I'm just also saying that amid friends and for my PERSONAL taste, I'm talking only for me (and don't mind your different opinions one bit), it doesn't work.

That's just, above, one way of trying to get the thought out. If you don't like it that way, I can just say, all that endless spinning in circles doesn't work: for me, or folks I've talked to at gigs. No need to hate on Lisa, or someone with a different view of this than you. It's alllll good. Just politely saying, me. doesn't work. you: get it as often as you can, I'm all for it.

Or, and maybe this is the way to go...don't express any opinion that's anything but the mainstream norm. Hmmm. Not sure that has the right vibe, either.

Rock on, though. The band, the crowd, the sound, the vibe, all great.

• Forum MVP

It's ok, I can take it. And, do understand, I'm totally trying to tell you...I'm glad she's there, I'm glad you or anyone else enjoy her stage presence, I wouldn't want to change a thing.

I'm just also saying that amid friends and for my PERSONAL taste, I'm talking only for me (and don't mind your different opinions one bit), it doesn't work.

That's just, above, one way of trying to get the thought out. If you don't like it that way, I can just say, all that endless spinning in circles doesn't work: for me, or folks I've talked to at gigs. No need to hate on Lisa, or someone with a different view of this than you. It's alllll good. Just politely saying, me. doesn't work. you: get it as often as you can, I'm all for it.

Or, and maybe this is the way to go...don't express any opinion that's anything but the mainstream norm. Hmmm. Not sure that has the right vibe, either.

Rock on, though. The band, the crowd, the sound, the vibe, all great.

You're absolutely right. You have every right to express your opinion about anything- just like I have the right to tell you that I think what you are saying is heinous. But it's fine :cheers: close your eyes and dance :icon14:

• Advisory Board

What really drives me bonkers is the way Dino sometimes scratches his knee. I can't stop focusing on it. ;)

Also how Rob B. bobs his head. ewww. :blink:

And why are they all white?

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

There is a school of thought that holds Lisa Mackey to be this band's secret weapon. Rooted to the stage floor in a tub of cement or wrinkling her nose and levitating to the rafters, she is a divine spark.

Lisa Mackey is THE SHIT!!! I love her spirit, her dancing, her singing, and she is just the most wonderful person on the planet personally... I LOVE ME SOME LISA MACKEY!!!

Guest Lisacat

\

But, without hate, I'll just say that endless white girl spinning (not even good DeadGrrrl dancing) just drives me bonkers and the headphone spinning is even worse.

well you could try spinning yourself and then you won't be so distracted by Lisa.

well you could try spinning yourself and then you won't be so distracted by Lisa.

actually, I did. I was explaining DSO to a "new" visitor....and actually did try to do some lisa-spins...couldn't make more than maybe 3 rounds. she's got it waaaaaay over on me on that. then, me'n'newbie proceeded to find the show grrrreat.

and, I'm delighted to see all the lisa-props, good for her, and good for the band! That I don't appreciate that corner of the flea on the tail of the dog, not heinous, it's just another opinion. Hasn't kept me outta the room so far, and never going to. Having been on the bus for 40 years, I'm not goin' anywhere, and can manage to co-exist with whirling lisas, and her peeps...

Guest Lisacat

I'm not goin' anywhere, and can manage to co-exist with whirling lisas, and her peeps...

whirling lisas, I like that :)

there is room for everyone on the bus...we're not all going to like the same thing and us deadheads tend to be very opinionated....we bicker over recreations vs electives, pro-dark star or anti-dark star, east coast or west coast, but we're all here because we love the music. Life would be pretty boring if we all always agreed!

Archived