Grateful Dead Release

Dstone5553

• Forum MVP

I remember first hearing about this years ago as a dream-like release that people in the know (like Latvala) said would NEVER happen.

But here is is....the Grateful Dead universe is spinning as you read this.

http://www.dead.net/features/release-info/holy-s-it-s-complete-europe-72-box-over-60-discs

Blair Jackson writes:

Because you dared dream this might happen one day

I am going on the record and say I will pay someone $50 and the costs of the blank discs and postage for the copies to these....

:wacko::blink::blush:

Now all I need to do is find me <7> more folks to duplicate your offer & I'll get my copy for 50$ also.....But with all the bells & whistles too!

Probably just break down & pay the frieght for the highly collectable box set!

Who could argue it ain't worth the price!

Peace,

Rob

• Forum MVP

Even if it just came with the discs, it would only be $7.50 a piece. Its a HUGE bargain in the big picture but holy crap, 60 (!!!!!!!!!!!!) CDs. Not only an investment in $$$$ but a serious time committment as well. I'd love to be one of the first 3000 who get the personalized copy.

I think I'm in too. Europe '72 was the album that really sealed it for me way back in '73 as a college freshman. Of course, getting dragged kicking and screaming to my first show at Winterland might have had a little additional impact too. :D

I was back at Winterland the very next night, and nobody had to put a net over me the second night to get me back over the Bay Bridge. Would be really sweet to have the whole '72 European tour. I hope the recording quality will be at the same level at the original album, and that they don't overdue it with excessive and unnessary re-mastering.

• Forum MVP

Must be quite a project, since they need to get $1.35 Million to get it off the ground.

I'm sharing two emails from friends for anyone's interest in this subject.

On a more serious note, the Dead is asking us to provide seed money for their new business venture. In other words, we pre-order (in this case as much as 8 months in advance) in order to fund what I'm sure is a for profit venture. We don't, however, get a share in any of the profits. Is there something wrong with this picture? Don't get me wrong, I'm definitely in and will blindly order once I get the email notification (and enjoy the hell out of this release), but I'm feeling somewhat used....

..... it should be noted that this would be a decision made entirely by Rhino, who for the 10 year period of their contract own and have complete control of the vault and what and how they release shows and related merchandise. This seems to me like a smart, albeit overly cautious move on their part to ensure that they aren't creating a product that out-fetishizes even Deadheads. I'm guessing this must be costing them at least $250 - $300 each to produce (factoring in their cost for procuring the rights to the music as well), so at 7000 units that comes is at $2.1 million dollars, a shit ton of dough in this era of the record business, much of which Rhino will have to put up front to the army of printers, producers, technicians, factories, etc. that will have to be coordinated and paid to make this whole thing happen. Frankly, I'm in awe of the scope and ambition of this project, which is obsessive and completist even by Rhino's standards, which is saying something.

My guess is that all 7000 will be sold long before their April deadline, but they are smart to hedge their bets.

• Forum MVP

Got emails from dead.net during the night and they are holding two separate box sets orders for me. Somehow, I guess with all my tries at ordering, they thought I wanted two. One is enough, thank you!! But at least something is happening!!

• Forum MVP

Set reserved! :cheers:

Interesting that they don't want a credit card now. How many folks who reserved will fail to come through once the funds come due?

I'm thinking of this as an investment (how's that for rationalization?) - limited production and will only appreciate in value.

• Forum MVP

Since '95 I've experienced a musical vacuum with the exception of a few DSO shows in the Detroit area and an outstanding Kimock show. Traveling a few hundred miles to see iffy shows doesn't seem to cut it anymore at my age. So a long story short, even though $450 is more than I've ever paid for a band's music I've already preordered.

All 7200 boxed sets sold out!!

http://www.dead.net/features/release-info/holy-s-it-s-complete-europe-72-box-over-60-discs?eml=dn/011911/e72text2

They will sell more of the disks, but not in the box. I'm now glad I got in on the first 3000 personalized sets (whatever that means) right away. Of course the wildcard here is when they actually want the people who reserved to supply CC info. I'm guess that many of the sets will be purchased by those who want to resell them at a profit. That would be a shame, but what can anyone do about it? I'm definitely going to shell out my $450.

• Forum MVP

They want the financial info now. Got an email with the "exclusive code" to purchase and personalize. Not sure yet what the personalization exactly entails. There is a two week period to come up with the credit card info and they won't charge until it ships in September.

• Forum MVP

cant believe so many of yall are jumping on this!!! did everyone raid fancy steve's credit card info?!

i wonder what jerry would think of a $500 cd set? "once were done with it, its yours"

http://www.archive.o...ls/GratefulDead

I'm pretty much with you there, Jor; I think most of us have to agree that the ethos has evolved. But I can tell you that at the shows I went to, they didn't pass out enormous coffee table books. rolleyes.gif

cant believe so many of yall are jumping on this!!! did everyone raid fancy steve's credit card info?!

i wonder what jerry would think of a $500 cd set? "once were done with it, its yours"

http://www.archive.org/details/GratefulDead

Asking for something in the neighborhood of $7/CD in what should be a very nicely packaged set including a new book and who know what else doesn't seem like gouging to me. On a per song cost basis, its cheaper than anything else these days. You can spend this much money for a few fancy dinners.

• Forum MVP

Asking for something in the neighborhood of $7/CD in what should be a very nicely packaged set including a new book and who know what else doesn't seem like gouging to me. On a per song cost basis, its cheaper than anything else these days. You can spend this much money for a few fancy dinners.

You could come down on either side of this. If you have the money, the 450 does not seem unreasonable for such a prized collectors piece in GD history. A lot of the shows are not available in any other format in the type of sound quality I expect from this release. Nobody thinks String Cheese, Dave Matthews, Dark Star, or Phish should give away their remasters for free. Could you imagine someone telling Eaton that after all his hard work he should put the DSO remastered shows on archive. That is simply a ridiculous notion. However, Jerry did feel that the music should be free after they were done with and encouraged taping. I am sure if you have audience recordings from the Europe 72 run nobody is going to stop you from listening to them. If you don't have the money or simply choose to live by a smaller budget, $450 can seem like quite an expenditure. Some of us don't eat anywhere that is fancy enough to hit the $450 mark after a few times out or at least we don't order the bottle of wine that will put you in that range. I am by no means calling someone cheap for not purchasing the box set. It is all a matter of ability to afford, desire to own the product, and the personal choices one makes with their $450. Then again, I certainly don't think its absurd for someone to be excited about the release and part with their $450. I did.

• Forum MVP

You could come down on either side of this. If you have the money, the 450 does not seem unreasonable for such a prized collectors piece in GD history. A lot of the shows are not available in any other format in the type of sound quality I expect from this release. Nobody thinks String Cheese, Dave Matthews, Dark Star, or Phish should give away their remasters for free. Could you imagine someone telling Eaton that after all his hard work he should put the DSO remastered shows on archive. That is simply a ridiculous notion. However, Jerry did feel that the music should be free after they were done with and encouraged taping. I am sure if you have audience recordings from the Europe 72 run nobody is going to stop you from listening to them. If you don't have the money or simply choose to live by a smaller budget, $450 can seem like quite an expenditure. Some of us don't eat anywhere that is fancy enough to hit the $450 mark after a few times out or at least we don't order the bottle of wine that will put you in that range. I am by no means calling someone cheap for not purchasing the box set. It is all a matter of ability to afford, desire to own the product, and the personal choices one makes with their $450. Then again, I certainly don't think its absurd for someone to be excited about the release and part with their $450. I did.

well i guess since you can see both sides of it then you wont mind letting me rip all the cds onto my hardrive :P I for one having been downloading dead sbds like crazy, while they are still free.

Very well put, and there is little I could add. For the record, I do not regularly spend $225 for a dinner for two, but it happens a few times per year. On the other hand, $45 for dinner out is a pretty routine event. I consider over 60 CDs of '72 GD music in a special limited addition box set to be one hell of a better investment than 10 routine nights of dining out! :cheers:

Archived