Grateful Dead Release

Dstone5553

• Forum MVP

However, Jerry did feel that the music should be free after they were done with and encouraged taping. I am sure if you have audience recordings from the Europe 72 run nobody is going to stop you from listening to them.

I don't have any idea how Garcia would have felt about this release. I know he had his famous and much quoted line about letting us have the music we recorded after they were done playing it, but who knows how he would have felt about this now. I do know that fans of this band who have been listening to this holy tour for the last 20, 30 and 40 years are SALIVATING at the notion of hearing these shows (some of them having parts that have been burned into our souls) with the kind of audio of a 'Hundred Year Hall' or 'Rockin The Rhein.'

I also know that Jerry Garcia and the Grateful Dead released live material for an album entitled Live Dead back in 1970 and did not give it away. And I also know that everyone here knows Garcia and the GD did the same thing for the tour in question and called it Europe '72, and they didn't give that away either. I don't think I need to mention Reckoning and Dead Set and all the other albums where they played music for an audience, recorded that music and sold it to the public for a profit. Would Garcia think there was a difference between selling those albums to the world verses full concerts like Dick's Picks (the first of which was sold in 1993 btw) to hungry dead heads after the Grateful Dead was no more? Who knows. My guess is that he wouldn't think much differently about it than Phil or Bobby or Billy or Mickey. My guess is that he would have thought if there was a public out there who wanted it, then why not?

I get that most people are going to be scratching their head when hearing about anyone spending 500.00 for one concert tour from way back in 1972 (my wife stole my credit cards the day she heard about this).

After all, it's a hell of a lot of money.

On the other hand, it's a hell of a lot of joy.

• Forum MVP

I don't have any idea how Garcia would have felt about this release. I know he had his famous and much quoted line about letting us have the music we recorded after they were done playing it, but who knows how he would have felt about this now. I do know that fans of this band who have been listening to this holy tour of tours for the last 20, 30 and 40 years are SALIVATING at the notion of hearing these shows, some of which have parts that have been burned into their souls, with the kind of audio of a 'Hundred Year Hall' or 'Rockin The Rhein.'

I also know that Jerry Garcia and the Grateful Dead released live material for an album entitled Live Dead back in 1970 and did not give it away. And I also know that everyone here knows Garcia and the GD did the same thing for the tour in question and called it Europe '72, and they didn't give that away either. I don't think I need to mention Reckoning and Dead Set and all the other albums where they played music for an audience, recorded that music and sold it to the public for a profit. Would Garcia think there was a difference between selling those albums to the world verses full concerts like Dick's Picks to hungry dead heads after the Grateful Dead was no more? Who knows. My GUESS is that he wouldn't think much differently about it than Phil or Bobby or Billy or Mickey. My guess is that he would have thought if there was a public out there who wanted it, then why not?

I get that most people are going to be scratching their head when hearing about anyone spending 500.00 for one concert tour from way back in 1972--my wife stole my credit cards the day she heard about this.

After all, it's a hell of a lot of money.

On the other hand, it's a hell of a lot of joy.

Nice addition to the conversation. I stick by my audience recording statement and I will add that your audience recording will not hold a candle to the remasters.

• Forum MVP

Very well put, and there is little I could add. For the record, I do not regularly spend $225 for a dinner for two, but it happens a few times per year. On the other hand, $45 for dinner out is a pretty routine event. I consider over 60 CDs of '72 GD music in a special limited addition box set to be one hell of a better investment than 10 routine nights of dining out! :cheers:

Nothing like an outstanding dinner at a fine resturant with the one you love ,

• Forum MVP

I do know that fans of this band who have been listening to this holy tour for the last 20, 30 and 40 years are SALIVATING at the notion of hearing these shows (some of them having parts that have been burned into our souls) with the kind of audio of a 'Hundred Year Hall' or 'Rockin The Rhein.'

Although I don't remember for sure off hand, I don't recall either of the above referenced Europe releases being re-mixed from the 16 track masters. Thus this release will have better audio than anything previously heard from the Europe tour! Maybe even like the difference between a really nice DSBD and the newly released '89 Warlocks shows. Not insignificant, and potentially night and day on a reference system. That's really what gave me the push.

While tax on this puppy is over $40, at least shipping is free. :o

• Forum MVP

Although I don't remember for sure off hand, I don't recall either of the above referenced Europe releases being re-mixed from the 16 track masters. Thus this release will not have better audio than anything previously heard from the Europe tour! Maybe even like the difference between a really nice DSBD and the newly released '89 Warlocks shows. Not insignificant, and potentially night and day on a reference system. That's really what gave me the push.

While tax on this puppy is over $40, at least shipping is free. ohmy.gif

Yep - the perfect complement for total listening pleasure:

Cary450.jpg

• Forum MVP

Chuck,

Not sure about those tube amps. Maybe a tube pre-amp for those softer textures, but solid state power for the impact of Mr. Lesh.

I'm thinking more on these lines. Notice the extra level of Grateful Dead authenticity the McIntosh gear affords:

mcintosh.jpg

Guest Rob Eaton

I for one am vary happy I got in on the first 3000 . This is the tour that turned me into a dead head to begin with. I can't wait to have every note. People spend 450 on weed that gets smoked and never seen again. Or a case of nice wine that gets drunk and never seen again why anyone would complain about the 450 for an entire tour of the best grateful dead music in perfect quality that they can hand down to the next generation is beyond me. And just so you know the tapes are all from 16 track masters that are being re- mixed. These are not from 2 track tapes!

• Forum MVP

Although I don't remember for sure off hand, I don't recall either of the above referenced Europe releases being re-mixed from the 16 track masters. Thus this release will not have better audio than anything previously heard from the Europe tour!

We'll see come September!

I know my system, although not a McIntosh, will be ready!

IMG_3035.jpg

And just so you know the tapes are all from 16 track masters that are being re- mixed. These are not from 2 track tapes!

:)!

• Forum MVP

Although I don't remember for sure off hand, I don't recall either of the above referenced Europe releases being re-mixed from the 16 track masters. Thus this release will not have better audio than anything previously heard from the Europe tour!

Sorry for the type-o....what i meant to write is: "Thus this release will have better audio than anything previously heard from the Europe tour!"

(fixed above)

• Forum MVP

i must admit i was rabble-rousing a bit back there.. i knew my comment would probably stir the pot :)

i will be the first one to claim that money is unimportant, and experiences and happiness outweigh $$/material possessions tenfold. this is the reason ive spent a significant majority of my money over the past 5 years on traveling to DSO shows instead of accumulating material objects. AND, i agree that GD music (in any obtainable format) transcends "material" and provides the pinnacle of happiness that we've all become accustomed to. So i understand the intrinsic value of the box set - money is just money, but this is the fucking remastered europe 72 tour!!!!

however, that being said... i dont know that i could ever justify spending 500 bucks on one CD set. Hell, i cant imagine HAVING 500 dollars lol. But if i did, i'd be using it to see DSO shows..

(so who's burning me the box set?????? B))

• Forum MVP

And for the record, my system damn sure isn't those sweet mono block Carys.

Ok, ok, full disclosure. Those aren't my stacks of McIntosh gear. And my speakers don't have 100s of tweeters. (Which begs the question - why would one design such a thing??)

• Forum MVP

Ok, ok, full disclosure. Those aren't my stacks of McIntosh gear. And my speakers don't have 100s of tweeters. (Which begs the question - why would one design such a thing??)

So I'm the only one who was honest about this?

That makes my system not look so shitty, comparatively.

Plus, I don't see any bobble heads with those other setups.

• Forum MVP

I for one am vary happy I got in on the first 3000 . This is the tour that turned me into a dead head to begin with. I can't wait to have every note. People spend 450 on weed that gets smoked and never seen again. Or a case of nice wine that gets drunk and never seen again why anyone would complain about the 450 for an entire tour of the best grateful dead music in perfect quality that they can hand down to the next generation is beyond me. And just so you know the tapes are all from 16 track masters that are being re- mixed. These are not from 2 track tapes!

Exactly. If the money is there, this is surely a no brainer. I'm sure there are many things, as Rob mentioned, that all have and do spend our money on that others would find crazy. I'm still pissed that I didn't grab this. Shit, I was born 4 days after the tour ended.

So I got my passcode (one time use, got it...) but does that automatically get me the deluxe version. Not that I care, the audio is the key.

Just wondering.

BTW Rel, why aren't you watching the Lake Show crush over here at Fox Sports?

• Forum MVP

Not sure about those tube amps. .....

Many years ago we had big McIntosh powered system in an apartment. One Saturday afternoon a gentleman came down from the swimming pool and asked, "Could you guys turn down the bass. It's making waves in the pool that are too big for the little kids."

One problem with that tube powered system is that the air conditioner had trouble keeping the place cool.

Peace and Love,

Doc

So I got my passcode (one time use, got it...) but does that automatically get me the deluxe version. Not that I care, the audio is the key.

Just wondering.

I was wondering the same thing. After skimming through the 100+ pages of comments at dead.net I'm guessing unless your email told you were getting a music only or a personalized copy you are getting the 3001-7200 boxed set. Maybe someone who got a personalized copy can weigh in. Did your email with code mention the personalized copy or was that at the ordering page?

I would also like to thank neutrino for posting last week that you could reserve a copy without a credit card. I was on the fence but I figured what the hell and reserved. I'm happy now, as I want it. The reason I didn't immediatly buy it was I just started downloading shows (thanks Dstone) and I have more music than I can listen to, and I'm downloading more every day. What a great time to be a head.

Oh and I'm going to see DSO tonight, in my hometown. Its a good day.

• Forum MVP

Maybe someone who got a personalized copy can weigh in. Did your email with code mention the personalized copy or was that at the ordering page?

Email deleted, but I'm pretty sure it said the code would be used to enter credit card info as well as "personalize" the copy.

• Forum MVP

I was wondering the same thing. After skimming through the 100+ pages of comments at dead.net I'm guessing unless your email told you were getting a music only or a personalized copy you are getting the 3001-7200 boxed set. Maybe someone who got a personalized copy can weigh in. Did your email with code mention the personalized copy or was that at the ordering page?

I would say buy the package if you think you're going to listen to it all. I predict that there will be many people who buy this and end up not listening to most of it, which in my mind is a waste. I understand that the collector in everyone would want this package, but speaking for myself, I have never understood why. I know that there are people out there who get autographs too and this is something else I've never understood (but that's another rant).

If you don't think you're going to listen to all the shows, then I would just buy the individual shows you want from deadnet. After all, it's not like every single show on this tour was a great one. Also, I'm not a person who has ever really cared about the whole packaging thing. I look at the write up and the pictures of a Dick's Pick or whatever and have fun with it for a short time but then, I never go back to it. I never look at it again. I'm sure I'll enjoy looking at the booklet of this boxed set for a few hours but I doubt I will ever go back to it--and even though I like BJ's writing and him as a person, I think Rhino and deadnet are overdoing it a tad with always having his linear notes on everything. Why can't we have Eaton and others do some of these? For me, I honestly could care less about the boxed set or the packaging--what are you going to do with it? Put it in a cabinet somewhere and show it off? Same thing for that cigar box that came with the Hampton release that so many people seemed to be excited about. You look at it once and then what?

If I didn't think I would listen to all 60 discs many times over, I would never buy this whole package, I would just get the individual shows I thought I would listen to. Just my .02.

And these are the emails I got. One mention of the personalization thing. When you enter your code, you will see a box to write your personalization. I wrote "To David--one of, if not our favorite fan. Here is a great tour of ours from 1972---The Grateful Dead."

Dear Dead Head,

Thank you for reserving Europe ’72: The Complete Recordings.

As a heads-up...You will receive an email within 48 hours that will contain a link and a unique code that will give you access to the Europe ‘72: The Complete Recordings cart to place your order.

We appreciate your patience!

The Dead.net Team

Dear Dead Head,

Thank you for reserving your personalized edition(s) of Europe ’72: The Complete Recordings.

This email confirms that we have reserved 1 copy(copies) for you.

We will reach out to you as soon as possible with the next steps to place your order.

We deeply apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate your patience.

The Dead.net Team

• Forum MVP

I would say buy the package if you think you're going to listen to it all. I predict that there will be many people who buy this and end up not listening to most of it, which in my mind is a waste. I understand that the collector in everyone would want this package, but speaking for myself, I have never understood why. I know that there are people out there who get autographs too and this is something else I've never understood (but that's another rant).

If you don't think you're going to listen to all the shows, then I would just buy the individual shows you want from deadnet. After all, it's not like every single show on this tour was a great one. Also, I'm not a person who has ever really cared about the whole packaging thing. I look at the write up and the pictures of a Dick's Pick or whatever and have fun with it for a short time but then, I never go back to it. I never look at it again. I'm sure I'll enjoy looking at the booklet of this boxed set for a few hours but I doubt I will ever go back to it--and even though I like BJ's writing and him as a person, I think Rhino and deadnet are overdoing it a tad with always having his linear notes on everything. Why can't we have Eaton and others do some of these? For me, I honestly could care less about the boxed set or the packaging because what are you going to do with it? Put it in a cabinet somewhere and show it off? Same thing for that cigar box that came with the Hampton release that so many people seemed to be excited about. You look at it once and then what?

If I didn't think I would listen to all 60 discs many times over, I would never buy this whole package, I would just get the individual shows I thought I would listen to. Just my .02.

And these are the emails I got. One mention of the personalization thing. When you enter your code, you will see a box to write your personalization. I wrote "To David--one of, if not our favorite fan. Here is a great tour of ours from 1972---The Grateful Dead."

I totally agree. I did not order because I know I would try to listen to them all and would then narrow things down to 4 or 5 shows that would remain in the rotation and the rest would collect dust. I listen to shows almost exclusively in my car, which is not conducive to having more than a couple dozen discs at a time, which I rotate.

I wish I wasn't out of town and away from the net when word of this dropped....I've missed the bus.

I will (like Jordan, and countless others) be forced to rely on other methods to obtain the set. It's a shame, I really want the whole thing...it was a very bittersweet thing to hear about on "Tales From the Golden Road" Sunday. I do agree with DStone's friends as far as the fans bankrolling the project goes. Give a lil, take a lot I suppose, whatcha gonna do? I'd gladly shell it out if I didn't miss the 7200. I'm still grateful it sold out fast...I think it's a tremendous demonstration of what's to come. Rhino, GDP is truly seeing what the community is capable of and what we ultimately want (it all)The sky is the limit...the GD fanbase has diversified to the extent that 450.00 is very do-able for enough fans to make a project of this caliber feasible, whereas, even scaled down, I imagine it wouldn't have sold out as fast 20 years ago...or even 10. Goes to show... :icon14:

• 2 weeks later...

If you reserved this monster-sized box set, don't forget that today is the last chance to place your order. After today, you lose your slot. Credit card information will need to be provided, but it will not be charged until the time of shipping. I'm really happy to have gotten in on this.

Archived