2/5/2011 Charlotte, Nc

Guest Hootdaddy

Guest Hootdaddy

What. A. NIGHT!

I loved John, and still do, but damn! Jeff brings the heat. His phrasing, both in his singing and his playing, just brings new life to so many tunes. His chicken-pickin' on Big River--just fantastic. My two favorite moments of the night were seeing him turn one of my least fave songs--Ramble On Rose--to one of my favorites; and watching him take about two or three full measures before the beginning of the Dark Star to count it down and establish the rhythm--very deliberate, like, "we are going to do this thing, and we are going to think about it, and we are not going to play 100 miles an hour at the start." What ensued was spectacular--at least fifteen minutes before Jeff sang--with a couple of amazing, intense jams amongst the swirling space. Outstanding.

I hate I missed ATL and Charleston and Greensboro--but I got plenty.

Alexandra Palace, London, XE (9/10/74)

Around and Around

Mississippi Half-Step

Beat it on Down the Line

Peggy-O

Tennessee Jed

Black-Throated Wind

China Cat Sunflower

I Know You Rider

Loser

Black Peter

WRS Prelude

WRS Part 1

Let it Grow

Stella Blue

Me and My Uncle

Dire Wolf

Not Fade Away

Ramble on Rose

Big River

Dark Star

Morning Dew

Sugar Magnolia

U.S. Blues

Filler:

Mr. Charlie

• Forum MVP

sorry it's so tough for you. :P

I wasn't the driver. I will take the public lashing if you want, but I didn't stop you from going. I stopped myself and I didn't know it would stop the wagon. You made your own choice. Do I regret it? After that setlist, maybe. Knowing I let some friends down, sure. Would I make the same decision again, we shall see, but I would bet on it. B)

• Forum MVP

I wasn't the driver. I will take the public lashing if you want, but I didn't stop you from going. I stopped myself and I didn't know it would stop the wagon. You made your own choice. Do I regret it? After that setlist, maybe. Knowing I let some friends down, sure. Would I make the same decision again, we shall see, but I would bet on it. B)

You know i'm just fuckin with ya. Believe me that I still wanted to go and would have driven the whole way myself. It's all water under the bridge now though, got a bunch of shows coming up on the next few tours, really just wanted to see sarah one more time at a dso show behind the table. Gonna miss her, wish her the best of fortunes :cheers:

• Forum MVP

After mulling the effort in Greensboro, it really felt like I was seeing DSO at their very best and would be lucky if the Charlotte show was in the same area code as GBO. I was more than happy to see what unfolded.

We arrived right at the announced 8:00pm start to find the place half empty with no indications that the band was ready to find the stage. A few pointed questions revealed that they were not going to start until 9:00. I was trying to figure out if the late start and the less than stellar turnout was a presage for an uneven show. It turned out to be good that it started late for the countless stragglers that started to stream in at 9 flat. The only Security at this place came in the form of a hello and a smile. Seeing the 1-drum setup and the extra mic-stand gave us all some indication of the era that DSO would be warping back to. A 73 or 74 was a very safe bet.

They began the festivities with what started as a rather perfunctory Around/Around. As the fingers got warm, and the band began to put a little more power behind the changes, it began to feel like we were going to be in for a good ride. What an understatement. A powerful

• Forum MVP

What. A. NIGHT!

I loved John, and still do, but damn! Jeff brings the heat. His phrasing, both in his singing and his playing, just brings new life to so many tunes. His chicken-pickin' on Big River--just fantastic. My two favorite moments of the night were seeing him turn one of my least fave songs--Ramble On Rose--to one of my favorites; and watching him take about two or three full measures before the beginning of the Dark Star to count it down and establish the rhythm--very deliberate, like, "we are going to do this thing, and we are going to think about it, and we are not going to play 100 miles an hour at the start." What ensued was spectacular--at least fifteen minutes before Jeff sang--with a couple of amazing, intense jams amongst the swirling space. Outstanding.

I hate I missed ATL and Charleston and Greensboro--but I got plenty.

Alexandra Palace, London, XE (9/10/74)

Around and Around

Mississippi Half-Step

Beat it on Down the Line

Peggy-O

Tennessee Jed

Black-Throated Wind

China Cat Sunflower

I Know You Rider

Loser

Black Peter

WRS Prelude

WRS Part 1

Let it Grow

Stella Blue

Me and My Uncle

Dire Wolf

Not Fade Away

Ramble on Rose

Big River

Dark Star

Morning Dew

Sugar Magnolia

U.S. Blues

Filler:

Mr. Charlie

I am not sure that the Black Peter was performed at this show. It is possible that my altered state created an oversight BUT Black Pete is one of my favorite ballads so I am pretty sure that I would have recalled it. I wish I was wrong.............

• Forum MVP

I am not sure that the Black Peter was performed at this show. It is possible that my altered state created an oversight BUT Black Pete is one of my favorite ballads so I am pretty sure that I would have recalled it. I wish I was wrong.............

No Black Peter. We performed the set list as they did. The show opened with Round and Round and the first set closed with Stella.

I saw a show back in 73 or 4 that ended a first set with Stella and another that ended with China Doll. RB

PS Great review. You really nailed the mood of the band. I think we all felt the same way!

• Forum MVP

You know i'm just fuckin with ya. Believe me that I still wanted to go and would have driven the whole way myself. It's all water under the bridge now though, got a bunch of shows coming up on the next few tours, really just wanted to see sarah one more time at a dso show behind the table. Gonna miss her, wish her the best of fortunes :cheers:

Never meant for you to think I was offended. I feel I let Sarah down and I am actually sorry you decided to cancel because of me, but other than that. I don't have any regrets about the situation. I will miss Sarah as the DSO merch girl, but I am sure that our paths will cross again. I may just have to go to Vermont.

Archived