Dso Setlist Checkers Unite!

TJed

All right, I confess.

I start every morning checking the DSO website to see what show DSO re-created or created the night before.

I love reviewing setlists and it's my way of keeping up with this wonderful and incredible DSO phenomenon.

It seems like a slightly insane and obsessive habit but it really is ultimately pretty harmless.

Wondering how many other setlist checkers are out there and your reasons for sharing this passion?

TJed

PS. I have seen DSO 39 times and can't wait for their return to Boston. Seeing them live, in concert, is actually better than checking the setlists!!!

I'm obsessed too. I try to do my part when I'm at a show by posting the setlist in the DSO reviews section as soon as possible. Last fall I was all over it. I was posting the 1st set during intermission from my iPhone. The last 2 shows I didn't get it up until the next morning.

Half the time I see a great setlist I'm bummed because at one time I was going to go to the specific show. Life gets in the way sometimes.

• Forum MVP

Has anyone put all the set lists into a software database ? I mean a database that has good ability to do a varity of search functions. Sometimes it's fun to find odd information like, "How many times has DSO played Scarlet-Fire in the second set on a Friday night ?" Is there a GD database availible ?

Peace and Love,

Doc

• Forum MVP

I tried a few weeks ago to write down every song dso played in 2010 and after about 10 shows it got to be too much ,the amount of songs or should i say different songs that they did in that 10 show period was unbelievable .yes there were songs that were repeated some but its mind blowing the amount ,i am only guessing at this but i would think they do well over 300 different songs , after the 10 shows i did there had to of been well over 100 ,so if I m going to a show hoping to hear something that i really like most likely I ll have to do multiple shows in a roll ,take the song death don t have no mercy ,its been pulled out only once on this curent tour and maybe only 3 or 4 times all of last year which is really fantastic if you think of the different their whole libary of music, i think the dead had a rotation of alittle over 100 tunes at a time while dso has to be able to cover everything and then some just about so yes i love to wake up in the morning and see what i missed or see what they did new so in hopes I can see it in the not so distant future

• Forum VIP

Steve I have to call you out on being a total GD/DSO NERD..."I tried a few weeks ago to write down every song dso played in 2010 and after about 10 shows it got to be too much "...you have way too much tim eon your hands...Love the effort tho...hope all is well...see you soon...Dr.V.

• Forum MVP

a total GD/DSO NERD.

Some of us are. I'm seriously considering starting a project of putting the DSO set lists into either a spreadsheet or database program. The intent is to provide a searchable database to share with all Starheads. I don't want to take this on if such a program already exists so if anyone knows of such a file already in public access please let me know.

Peace and Love,

Doc

• Forum MVP

Steve I have to call you out on being a total GD/DSO NERD..."I tried a few weeks ago to write down every song dso played in 2010 and after about 10 shows it got to be too much "...you have way too much tim eon your hands...Love the effort tho...hope all is well...see you soon...Dr.V.

I m off for 4 months in the winter ,it would of been a nice little project. hope all is well ther Pres.

• Forum MVP

Self-proclaimed setlist junkie here. You need look no further than see all of the setlist request threads I have started at 6:15am. I will also say that I am a review nerd as well. To me, it is all about varcarious living when you can't get to all of them. This note is also a plea for those who attend to write a review of the show. It seems to be happening less lately and that is not a good trend.

I would love a robust database to work with although my wife might wish otherwise. Kinda sounds like the makings of one of those short self-created movies I have seen links for here.......hmmm.

Nice thread, tjed! For me listing is a lifetime passion - I list all the birds I see, all the places I visit ( right now I'm on the beach at Isla Los Brasiles, Nicaragua). When I was in china I listed every dish I ate at every meal for two months. Sometimes I look back at it and can recall the great experience of some fabulous taro crusted duck or stuffed eggplant dish! Listing helps bring me back to awesome moments in my DSO adventure as well as get a flavor for the many shows I've missed. I also spend much time analyzing GD shows on setlists.com, which is a wonderfully searchable database with answers to questions like when did they weird out and play Fire into Scarlet, or which of the academy of music shows did I miss back in the day. Tjed you are actually one of those amazing people who doesn't actually seem to need the list -- I'm always amazed how you can just recall the setlists of the dozens of DSO shows we've seen together. One thing I'd really love to see is a list of the anomalous DSO moments - the ones where they stray from totally faithful recreation. Like that show we saw at cohasset where they covered a rare seventies show that Donna missed ( being sick or preggers), but Lisa took the stage nonetheless and graced us with her wonderous wailing magic. Of course I can't even remember the original date/venue but I'm sure Tjed can spew out the whole setlists from memory. I think this obsessive DSO listing and the endless rant are desperate efforts at staving off altsheimers for me.

Fun stuff, indeed!

Hard now that DSO is off tour, no setlists to check for awhile.

Still wondering why I should care what DSO created or re-created in some far off city, in some venue I've never been to,

on a night where there's absolutely no chance that I would have even been able to attend the show.

But I still want to know:

Was it a 70s show (single drummer or two drummer?); was it an original setlist (if so, do I think I would have enjoyed it?); was it a dreaded 90s show (and yes, would I have actually enjoyed DSO's rendition); was it a 60s show (wow, oh wow)?

Hoping you're seeing some Terrapins down there in Nicaragua!

P.S.

I definitely remember a few things about that Cohasset show...The first set Johnny B. Goode opener, the end of set Truckin/Stella Blue/Around and Around; you hanging out with Rob Baracco; 4 star show, right? (check your list!)

Nice thread, tjed! For me listing is a lifetime passion - I list all the birds I see, all the places I visit ( right now I'm on the beach at Isla Los Brasiles, Nicaragua). When I was in china I listed every dish I ate at every meal for two months. Sometimes I look back at it and can recall the great experience of some fabulous taro crusted duck or stuffed eggplant dish! Listing helps bring me back to awesome moments in my DSO adventure as well as get a flavor for the many shows I've missed. I also spend much time analyzing GD shows on setlists.com, which is a wonderfully searchable database with answers to questions like when did they weird out and play Fire into Scarlet, or which of the academy of music shows did I miss back in the day. Tjed you are actually one of those amazing people who doesn't actually seem to need the list -- I'm always amazed how you can just recall the setlists of the dozens of DSO shows we've seen together. One thing I'd really love to see is a list of the anomalous DSO moments - the ones where they stray from totally faithful recreation. Like that show we saw at cohasset where they covered a rare seventies show that Donna missed ( being sick or preggers), but Lisa took the stage nonetheless and graced us with her wonderous wailing magic. Of course I can't even remember the original date/venue but I'm sure Tjed can spew out the whole setlists from memory. I think this obsessive DSO listing and the endless rant are desperate efforts at staving off altsheimers for me.

• Forum MVP

Setlist junkie here! For my first 150+ GD shows I could tell you every set in order...

That's amazing. I could do that for about my first 40-45 shows and I thought that was extreme. Of course once I lost the extract grasp of said 40+ shows the nuances started to fall off precipitously. Now there are entire runs about which I remember barely anything!

That's amazing. I could do that for about my first 40-45 shows and I thought that was extreme. Of course once I lost the extract grasp of said 40+ shows the nuances started to fall off precipitously. Now there are entire runs about which I remember barely anything!

I usually can't exactly recall the first set during the second set!

Chuck right on the money about DSO turning 90's busts into precious pearls. But of course then I have to cope with the dreaded "lack o Lisa"!

I definitely remember a few things about that Cohasset show...The first set Johnny B. Goode opener, the end of set Truckin/Stella Blue/Around and Around; you hanging out with Rob Baracco; 4 star show, right? (check your list!)

Okay - how could I forget the only dead show ever to open with JBGoode! I did give Cohasset 4-stars, only missed a five due to the brevity. First set totally kills.

12/04/73 (Tue)

• Forum MVP
Still wondering why I should care what DSO created or re-created in some far off city, in some venue I've never been to,on a night where there's absolutely no chance that I would have even been able to attend the show.

Perhaps one hopes that DSO might someday bust out that one particular very obscure tune and wonders if it ever will get busted out, even though it might be a thousand miles away. ...or so I hear anyway.

:D

• 3 weeks later...

DSO back on tour so

let the setlist checking begin.

Hoping for some timely after-show postings

from other setlist junkies out there!

I'm heading to Richmond this PM....I'll post a setlist update during the show (probably in the reviews forum).....I know some like to flame for using a cell phone during the show, but in my mind to each their own.....As long as you somewhat respect my personal space and aren't screaming in my ear about your date last night or the basketball game, enjoy the show however you want.....This might be going off topic, but I like to oscillate between getting real close for a bit, socializing here and there, getting a drink, dancing, maybe texting/calling a friend and telling them how great the show is/holding my phone up for a minute

I like Blair Jackson's latest blog....never liked the deader than thou crowd back in the day and that applies to any band to some extent

http://www.dead.net/features/blairs-golden-road-blog/dead-er-thou

anyway......sorry for the sidebar....I'll post something to the forum later......

• Forum MVP

I'm heading to Richmond this PM....I'll post a setlist update during the show (probably in the reviews forum).....I know some like to flame for using a cell phone during the show, but in my mind to each their own.....As long as you somewhat respect my personal space and aren't screaming in my ear about your date last night or the basketball game, enjoy the show however you want.....This might be going off topic, but I like to oscillate between getting real close for a bit, socializing here and there, getting a drink, dancing, maybe texting/calling a friend and telling them how great the show is/holding my phone up for a minute

I like Blair Jackson's latest blog....never liked the deader than thou crowd back in the day and that applies to any band to some extent

http://www.dead.net/...og/dead-er-thou

anyway......sorry for the sidebar....I'll post something to the forum later......

Nice digression. I never much cared for that breed either. I believe some variation of it is to be found in most organized realms of human endeavor. Fortunately there doesn't seem to be much of that attitude in the DSO scene. Anyway, what would you call it if it were a factor here, "Darker than thou?" "Starier?" "More Orchestrated?"

Guest Lisacat

http://www.dead.net/...og/dead-er-thou

love Blair's article...I've been very fortunate to not come across too many deader than thou folks....and I certainly am not ashamed or feel like I am "less of a deadhead" to not have been there for Jerry. If you get it, you get it. Thanks for posting.

Archived