Talking During Sets...especially Ballads

Gypsy Bob

RESPECT is the key... look at your neighbor, if they are in the groove with their eyes closed or/and a big smile on their face don't ask them "How ya doing" cause you just yanked them out of the Zone. (loosely defined The Zone is that place/time when you and the music are merged and that wonderful Communion is being shared) If you recognize and respect the Zone all will be Bliss.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

RESPECT is the key... look at your neighbor, if they are in the groove with their eyes closed or/and a big smile on their face don't ask them "How ya doing" cause you just yanked them out of the Zone. (loosely defined The Zone is that place/time when you and the music are merged and that wonderful Communion is being shared) If you recognize and respect the Zone all will be Bliss.

Who has ever been in the zone, only to then begin to step out and find a buddy that you didn't go to show with dancing right next you? They didn't even interrupt you to say hello, and then when your eyes open, all you can say is "Whoa, when did you get here?"

Guest jazz-man

I echo those who don't like the talking, go back by the bar or, better yet, if at the Crystal Ballroom. go downstairs to Lola's bar and sit and chat and watch the big screen TV of the show! How can you talk during \stella \blue except to say "this is beautiful". I've found that if a female makes the request to please stop talking it is better received than if a guy does it. Somehow when a guy does it it becomes some sort of testosterone challenge and trouble may occur (even at a DSO show).

Lisa's Catholic/GD show parallels are funny. I'd crack up if a nun with a pointer came along and 'SMACK' hits some dude on the hands and telle him to shush up. That would be something.

When a musician is feeling the lyrics then goes into a solo said solo is a direct reflection of his/her passion and emotional connection. It doesn't necessarily have to be a blazing flood of notes cause sometimes the notes unplayed are just as emotionally stimulating. These are the special gifts born of silence...

When a musician is feeling the lyrics then goes into a solo said solo is a direct reflection of his/her passion and emotional connection. It doesn't necessarily have to be a blazing flood of notes cause sometimes the notes unplayed are just as emotionally stimulating. These are the special gifts born of silence...

Gypsy Bob , you nailed it my friend. I believe it was Ken Kesey who was once speaking about Garcia's playing that said ..."the beauty of Garcia's playing is not neccessarily the notes he plays but those that are left unplayed......" sums it up nicely in my opinion.

This might be a little off topic, but I think you have to take the good with the bad. In order for DSO to generate the money to keep touring, they have to attract a wide array of fans. At the National on Friday, there were probably 1500 people if it was sold out. Among the crowd, there were certainly 1st timers and likely a bunch of folks who may not be that familiar with the Dead or DSO but were looking for a good time on a Friday night and/or their friends invited them to see this "cool band". I try not to get too hot and bothered about crowd behavior. For better or worse it is an inevitable byproduct of a successful touring band. In my mind, if you pay your $25 and want to get drunk and holler during Stella Blue or talk to your friends during Morning Dew, that is your prerogative. In the means, DSO crowds are well behaved and there for the music. You aren't going to assemble 1000+ people in one place that serves alcohol and not get a few douchebags amongst the group. So when someone screams in my ear during Black Peter, I don't waste the energy glaring back at them or starting an argument. I simply move to another location and recognize that their $25 allows the band we love to keep doing what they do.

It was hit or miss and really depended on where you were sitting. Unless your Keith Jarrett or at a classical concert I don't think you'll ever get the lunk heads to shut up.

I'm glad I wear in-ear monitors now because it blocks them out! RB

The other option is to do what Chris Robinson does. He stops the band mid-song and admonishes the audience for ten minutes. LOL RB

If there was a way for audience members to also pick up the signal and wear in-ear monitors, I'd jump at that in an instant. I am often absolutely appalled at the talkers (more accurately yellers) at shows. I use high-fidelity earplugs anyway for hearing protection. Thus, an in-ear monitor would just be a logical next step in getting a perfect mix at the volume you want.

• Forum MVP

Howdy folks...welcome me ;)

Geezer time: twas a time in the day when the GD played Stella Blue you could hear a pin drop. Allowed for a real special moment for all...seems today it's hard to recreate those moments with the insecent talk during Ballads...try listening and connect to the magic. :hug2:

Welcome.

And thank'y.

I actually remember Jerry bringing a crowd to a complete silence during Stella, Peggy-O, and China Doll. There's been times I preferred talking to a loud off-key sing along.

This.

oh please, please do that. But I think Lisa Mackey needs to be the one. All the talkers will leave the show with their tails tucked between their legs after that.

:)

Yes!

There is an etiquette. Ina zone where we all have respect for each other, and at least an awareness, we can all have a good time, enjoy the show together, while in our own zone. Even in a very crowded venue. It is sheer bliss to find that spot. I know. I have dug on that experience many times. However, it seems to be becoming sadly more and more difficult for a group of strangers to get together with a common goal and achieve it. I choose to believe that it is not a dying phenomenon.

There is an etiquette. Ina zone where we all have respect for each other, and at least an awareness, we can all have a good time, enjoy the show together, while in our own zone. Even in a very crowded venue. It is sheer bliss to find that spot. I know. I have dug on that experience many times. However, it seems to be becoming sadly more and more difficult for a group of strangers to get together with a common goal and achieve it. I choose to believe that it is not a dying phenomenon.

A couple of thoughts:

As previously mentioned many attendees may simply be unaware of the sub-current of solace that surrounds them/us all and permeates the room just waiting to be tapped into. Perhaps the experienced should take it upon ourselves to educate the clueless...

Focus and awareness of others has become a lost art in a world where constant intrusion and interruption by portable hand held devices has become the accepted norm. Nobody stays in one place too long anymore...

• Forum MVP

A couple of thoughts:

As previously mentioned many attendees may simply be unaware of the sub-current of solace that surrounds them/us all and permeates the room just waiting to be tapped into. Perhaps the experienced should take it upon ourselves to educate the clueless...

Focus and awareness of others has become a lost art in a world where constant intrusion and interruption by portable hand held devices has become the accepted norm. Nobody stays in one place too long anymore...

'Tis a consummation devoutly to be wished. But in the short attention span world in which we live, it does indeed seem a lot of folks ain't gonna learn what they don't want to know. And efforts to shed light can come across as hubristic if not done with love and patience (speaking strictly for me, the latter is sometimes a scarce commodity in certain circumstances).

And despite the best of intentions, I guess some men you just can't reach...

the_captain.jpg

Me thinks there be a conflict between me the shedder of light and the selfish side of self. Having been in the Zone and experienced being wrapped up in the cocoon of words and music and being taken to a timeless place of self awareness and introspection, seeing with all the senses and then ever so gently being returned to

• Forum MVP

Slimed isn't the word for it, Chuckles.... When they did "Ghostbusters" back in 84, they should of cast you as "Slimer" a.k.a. the first ghost they caught...

slimer.jpg

True, Bob...returning to the mundane after soaring in the realm of the ineffable is something of a jolt. It always takes me a bit to reintegrate, and I'm not always able to communicate too well mid-show.

And it's not easy being green.

• Forum MVP

I am a bit surprised that this is such an issue. If you are near a taper it is an unpardonable sin to ramble on, but in the general crowd it is inevitable. I have always been able to focus in on the music during a show and completely block out the talkers. Maybe it is more difficult for some than others, but it has never bothered me. Could be that I am used to a lot of commotion, growing up in a large family and having 4 kids of my own, and learned to tune out the noise and focus on what I am trying to hear. Happy Fat Tuesday everyone :cheers:

I am a bit surprised that this is such an issue. If you are near a taper it is an unpardonable sin to ramble on, but in the general crowd it is inevitable. I have always been able to focus in on the music during a show and completely block out the talkers. Maybe it is more difficult for some than others, but it has never bothered me. Could be that I am used to a lot of commotion, growing up in a large family and having 4 kids of my own, and learned to tune out the noise and focus on what I am trying to hear.

The circle of energy is lifted to new heights by the Band when they sense the crowd is on the same page. I guess I'm more easily knocked off my perch.

Guest Lisacat

The circle of energy is lifted to new heights by the Band when they sense the crowd is on the same page.

and thats when the real magic happens... when "the rail" goes away and equal energy exchange occurs - it becomes a journey alongside the band rather than the band leading us on a journey. If that makes sense to anyone but myself!

The LA show on the last tour out here was definitely one of those nights.

I am a bit surprised that this is such an issue. If you are near a taper it is an unpardonable sin to ramble on, but in the general crowd it is inevitable. I have always been able to focus in on the music during a show and completely block out the talkers. Maybe it is more difficult for some than others, but it has never bothered me. Could be that I am used to a lot of commotion, growing up in a large family and having 4 kids of my own, and learned to tune out the noise and focus on what I am trying to hear. Happy Fat Tuesday everyone :cheers:

I think this is why a wide variety of venues is nice.....indoor, outdoor, festivals, classic theatres, modern venues......in my experience, places like the National, Electric Factory, State theatre, 930 club, especially on weekends are going to be a bit more loud and boisterous than the norm. I think this idea of a quiet collective experience is wishful thinking for the most part. I have been to these venues and others similar for DSO dozens of times and they are always replete with drunk people, fraternity boys, etc. These people are paying customers. I'd rather be pragmatic, than pine for some crowd utopia that will never exist and if it did exist would cause the cessation of DSO since they wouldn't be generating sufficient revenue. I am going to Falls Church tomorrow. It is infinitely more palatable than 930 club, but it WILL be packed, hard to maneuver around downstairs. There will be talkers and people belting out the words to ballads. There will be overserved inebriated people. People will bump into you. But the band will be great and the experience will be a total net plus. I'd love to show up and there be 400 hardcore considerate fans and room to dance around and a ritualistic, spiritual experience. But I live in reality and I want the band to make money. DSO crowds are still one of the best rock n roll crowds in the means. Ignore the douchebaggery and own your experience. They aren't worth your angst and they paid money to get in.

• Forum MVP

In regards to depths of douchebaggery, I have one word: Starland Ballroom. Last call for alcohol between the encore and filler adds to the special atmosphere.

On the other hand, there was dancing room, so the cosmic balance was maintained.

Archived