Bergen Pac

nwnj steve

• Forum MVP

englishtown -9-3-77 ,i ve been waiting a long time to see dso play this show ,think they played it once in pittston a few years back but i missed out ,my first dead show in which i had a recording of ,fantastically played ,and i videoed the show so next week it will be up

• Forum MVP

Great show! So good to see everyone too as Gratefulfest were my last shows. Here is the set list:

1. Promised Land, They Love Each Other, Me and My Uncle, Mississippi Half-Step, Looks Like Rain, Peggy-O, New Minglewood Blues, Friend of the Devil, Music Never Stopped

2. Bertha, Good Lovin', Loser, Estimated Prophet> Eyes of the World, Samson and Delilah, He's Gone, Not Fade Away, Truckin'

E: Terrapin Station

Filler: Cats Under the Stars

It was incredibly hot--both the playing and the theater. But before I crash, just a few of the highlights for me were:

Beautiful and well sung Peggy-O, transcendant Looks Like Rain (Rob and Lisa sounded so gorgeous on the harmonies), Music Never Stopped had a terrific jam.

The entire second set cooked, but special commendation to that Loser with a harmonics solo that was just to die for! Estimated>Eyes fantastic, Rocking Samson and a beautiful He's Gone. The jam into NFA was absolutely incredible--teasing NFA, Mircale, and Truckin' A great build to a great end of set with Truckin'. And then to come back with a Terrapin encore! I literally couldn't stand and dance during Terrapin as I think I had sweated out every drop of moisture in my body, but I did a pretty good chair dance to that trancey and dreamy song. When the band announced the show, they also told us that at least three of them had been at the show (maybe more--not quite sure). And Cats as the filler was a purrfect was to end the evening. Thanks guys for giving it your absolute all, as you do every night, despite the intense heat in the theater and complete lack of air movement. We all had a blast!

Yes, it was incredibly hot outside (about 102) when the band took the stage. Inside, I firmly believe the good folks at Bergen PAC were trying to keep us cool, but their AC was just overwhelmed between the ferocious heat outside, and the mass of bodies in the theater. Did this slow the band down?... not one bit!!! In fact, I don't believe I have ever witnessed a more focused, intense show by DSO than the one I saw last night... they just seem to be getting better, and better every time I see them! And what a re-creation!!! The Englishtown show has long been one of my (and I'm sure many others') favorites, and I believe it was one of the first shows I ever received on tape, sometime in the late 70's.

Promised land was a short, but muscular opener. Eaton showed to be in fine voice, and appeared ready to rock. TLEO was given a tender treatment by Jeff, and it also proved that his vocals were in fine shape, too. Even though this number (post 1973) is always slow and plodding, DSO carries it well, and this one was sweet. Rob Barraco also added wonderful fills on the keys, and looked like he was having a blast. Me and My Uncle was, of course, another shorty, but bouncy and fun. The following Half-Step was where things really started to take off. The entire band, and Jeff in particular, took this one to amazing heights... lightning leads, fantastic vocals, and the entire crowd was swaying, dancing, singing along. The original version was, in my opinion, one of the best the GD ever performed (and there were many, many great ones over the years). There was just an intensity to the jams that was unique, and DSO did it proud. Jeff proved to be the ringleader, coaxing energy from his bandmates to carry the song into the stratosphere... and back to earth so gracefully. L.L. Rain, as was previously mentioned, featured absolutely beautiful harmonies by Jeff, Rob, and Lisa... showing how well they can sing together. As with the Dead, when DSO's harmonies are spot on, it brings an added warmth and comfort to the music that borders on rapture. Peggy-O was also equally awe-inspiring. At times, Jeff sounded so much like Jerry, it was spooky. He really LEANED into both the lyrics and the jams on this number, and you could tell he was enjoying the hell out of it! Minglewood was a powerhouse, pure and simple. It had everyone on their feet, and it rocked hard and steady. Rob also looked like he was going to devour his microphone a couple of times during this number, and I just hope his didn't chip any teeth! I was pouring sweat by this point, and I was not alone... the place was beginning to get mighty fragrant, and it was a good kind of odor...perspiration born of happiness! FOTD was another slow one, of course, but again the jams, especially near the end, were inspired. Music Never Stopped had us all dancing like mad people, and the whole band kept building up the jams to an enormous climax. Lisa's vocals added a special touch to this song that is missing from post -1970's versions, and I always love it when she graces the stage. Such a mind-blowing first set of music by the band, that I could have gone home happy right then... but I'm sure glad I stayed for round two! On a side note, I really appreciate venues like Bergen PAC that allow you to re-enter. It is a HUGE plus in my book, and creates a friendly, relaxed vibe in the lobby. Even though it was still hot as blazes outside, the option to step out during intermission (or any time you feel like it) is something I wish more places would adopt.

The second set began with a punchy Bertha, which again saw Mr. Mattson in very fine voice. This segued into Good Lovin' (which almost all Bertha's did in 1977) and what a GREAT version this was!!! Rob kicked it into high gear, sparring with Jeff on the leads, and the whole band was firing on all cylinders. It also had the audience hopping, singing along. The Loser was a major highlight for me... it is hard to describe how good this one was, as there were so many aspects of it that had me smiling from ear-to-ear. Once again, Jeff's vocals were very powerful, and his guitar licks were absolutely jaw-droppingly good... on fire, he was, and team DSO was right there with him. Estimated featured some amazing, danceable jams toward the end, and Lisa appeared to be enjoying it, too, as she scatted a bit with Rob Eaton. Eyes was... well... just fucking AWESOMELY delivered by the entire band! So good were Jeff's leads, and he obviously was having a fun time with us, as we were with him. Another highlight of the show for me, and I almost collapsed from exhaustion when it was over. Samson and Delilah was also a danceable number, and it found me on my feet once again, bouncing and grooving to it's steady beat. The harmonies were indeed stellar on this number, as well. He's Gone had the crowd singing back to the band, and it was nice to have a slower song to catch my breath and relax my bones. Well sung, with tasteful leads by Jeff, it was another highlight for me. NFA was given a slow, but rocking treatment... and I swear they cranked up the volume even higher on this song. The audience loved it, and the band responded in kind. Truckin' was also, obviously, a crowd pleaser, and rocked loud and hard to the finish. The Terrapin encore was simply gorgeous... really delicate and forceful at varying times. All band members took this one to incredible heights, and my hat was once again off to Jeff for his terrific, scorching leads and amazing vocals. Cats was a great way to top off this outstanding night of music. No, the heat did not put a damper on this band at all. In fact, if anything, it seemed to put "fire under their feet", and ours, too !!!

Peace

Topher

• Forum MVP

I went to Englishtown with my college buddies. We were just about to begin our last year. They opened the gates around 4 am and we were in about 5. They let us bring our cooler in which was filled with nothing but beer! None of us ever thought to bring water nor that there would be that many people(125,000) nor did we think it would get to 94 degrees! So, about 3 in the afternoon I was semi-drunk and way dehydrated. I waited in the concession line for 30 minutes for a soda(again not thinking to drink WATER) The soda sucked because it was served in the can and was warm. I started to pass out next to the tires of a big truck when I espied a guy walking with a military container that I suspected had water in it. I managed to roust my self up and ran to him and fell on my hands and knees and begged for him to fill my can with water. He said "no way man. If I give you some every hippie in this joints gonna want some."

I had tears coming down by this time and he took pity on me and filled the can. He saved my life and enabled me to witness one of the great performances of the band that changed my life! It was the last festival type show I ever went to. I'm much happier on the other side!!!! RB

PS Stay cool and drink WATER!!!!!!!!!!

• Forum MVP

I went to Englishtown with my college buddies. We were just about to begin our last year. They opened the gates around 4 am and we were in about 5. They let us bring our cooler in which was filled with nothing but beer! None of us ever thought to bring water nor that there would be that many people(125,000) nor did we think it would get to 94 degrees! So, about 3 in the afternoon I was semi-drunk and way dehydrated. I waited in the concession line for 30 minutes for a soda(again not thinking to drink WATER) The soda sucked because it was served in the can and was warm. I started to pass out next to the tires of a big truck when I espied a guy walking with a military container that I suspected had water in it. I managed to roust my self up and ran to him and fell on my hands and knees and begged for him to fill my can with water. He said "no way man. If I give you some every hippie in this joints gonna want some."

I had tears coming down by this time and he took pity on me and filled the can. He saved my life and enabled me to witness one of the great performances of the band that changed my life! It was the last festival type show I ever went to. I'm much happier on the other side!!!! RB

grate story.... only thing that would have made it better is if you were telling it around a campfire ...with a cooler split 50/50 .. water/beer ..

• Forum MVP

Was this show chosen because of the similar climate? My dad attended the Englishtown show, the day before his first day of college. His story is similar to yours RB... a cooler full of beer and zero water! He remembers getting sprayed down with a hose though.

As for DSO's presentation last night... absolutely transcendental. The venue was great... relaxed staff... awesome crowd... I felt the heat added a special dimension to the show. If you looked up towards the theaters ceiling it seemed to be filled with smoke but it was all foggy from humidity.

now to find a way to get to AC...

Great and familiar story Rob...Fast forward to today and here is DSO bringing some serious heat...I've seen some vids from GOTV and my jaw dropped...y'all are killing it! Looking forward to Sept. Thrilled about the Guerneville show...Closest venue to my place!

• Forum MVP

I've done some bad things to get water.

Bad lies that could and probably should come back to haunt me.

Outside places that the GD were playing for the first time could be a problem, like Dominguez Hill for example. More often than not, places like these are just not prepared and the weather sometimes does not cooperate.

You add psychoactive substances into the mix and it seems like, for a bit there (the time BEFORE the sun goes down), it's war like conditions.

Lots and lots of stories. Luckily all with happy endings.

• Forum MVP

Outside places that the GD were playing for the first time could be a problem, like Dominguez Hill for example. More often than not, places like these are just not prepared and the weather sometimes does not cooperate.

Man was Dominguez Hills hot. I was waiting for our microphones to melt.

I was at Finger Lakes Grassroots last Thursday evening - it had been 102 that afternoon, the hottest in Ithaca in 75 years. From the stage, they reminded folks not only to drink plenty of water, but to make sure they pee. Never heard that latter admonishment from the stage before, but it's a wise one.

• Forum MVP

Englishtown was my first Dead show, and I have been hoping to catch DSO play it since 03'. I missed the first one, but I was extremely grateful to be in attendance on Friday evening. Just an absolute face melter in many ways. What a blissful weekend!

• Advisory Board

Was this show chosen because of the similar climate?

This show was planned before tour started... Eaton does the setlist book before each tour.. Simply coincidence that the weather played a fact for the double heat trouble

Steve, you are a devoted man for getting these videos up so soon, and I am sure I am just one on many who is grateful to you for your time and efforts. Now, when someone asks me what it was like to be there, I will first describe as best I can the experience, then I will show them your videos. Thanks, again !!!

Archived