The Future....

vbf3

I saw this on a Facebook link. No need for Phil to tour when and if this is completed.

Grateful Dead's Lesh postpones discussion of Fairfax project after signs posted near his Ross home

By Richard Halstead

Marin Independent Journal

Posted:

• Forum MVP

"It's frustrating. You think you've raised the level of political discourse in the community and then you get this crap. Let's not be childish."

"We haven't had one public meeting yet on this issue and people are already putting up signs."

Democracy in action isn't always pretty, and it might not seem democratic all the time, but a sign that says "No Terrapin, Please" doesn't seem to be crappy, childish, or overly creepy. No doubt there is a back story to this and it will be interesting to follow. Thanks for the post!.

Whether or not you like the individuals involved, there was an upcoming planning board meeting to discuss this. Putting signs along a popular walking route of Phil's deriding the project seems, at least to me, a lousy way to do this. Oddly enough the article struck me more about the future of Phil's music rather than an indightment of him personally. Funny how peope can read the same thing and come out on different viewpoints.

• Forum MVP

I can see how Phil would be "unnerved." And putting fliers on cars parked at a funeral does show an undeniable lack of sensitivity. Fortunately the matter seems to be coming back up on the agenda rather than being consigned to the dustbin of history.

This concept works for Levon and I do hope it gets a chance to shine for Phil. I simply got a kick out of the reactions as described in the article.

• Forum MVP

If you know the town of Fairfax, it does seem reasonable that folks could have lots of hard questions about the viability of throwing 500 people in the middle of town for these events. Nonetheless, if proper plans for parking were in place, and the reports about the center being used for various community activities when shows weren't happening are true, whoever was responsible for this (before any public planning board meetings even transpired) really comes off as quite the wing-nut.

• Forum MVP

This is embarrassing. What is a "starhead" and why aren't they deadheads?

I call myself a Starhead because DSO was the band I truly felt introduced me to the live GD experience. I try not to call myself a Deadhead because I never saw the GD and I wasn't there. I feel honored when someone who was there calls me a Deadhead. I don't know if Phil and Jill are schmucks or not. I don't know them personally. I bet, like most, they have acted kindly towards most and rudely at time to others. I can be the biggest sweetheart, but I am also guilty of being a giant ass hole at times Fortunately, I don't live under a microscope and my moments of being an ass hole have not caused me to be pigeonholed an ass hole. I'm not going to worry about it too much. I'm sure members of the GD, Furthur, and even our beloved dark star have treated people unkindly, wrong, and unjustly at times. Just cause you play GD doesn't make you saint. I am going to continue to enjoy the music even if I think or feel (my thoughts or feelings could be inaccurate) a member of one of these bands is schmuck or disrespectful.

Terrapin Landing, Crossing, Depot or whatever they decide to call it sounds like a great idea and I hope it eventually takes place in a town that wants it there. I, further, hope that those who are fortunate enough to attend these intimate concerts are respectful to the community not just our community. Additionally, the ticketless do the best they can to stay away so the small town doesn't feel overrun. I realize my hopes may be wrong. All too often its us and not Phil that act like schmucks.

Guest Lisacat

I call myself a Starhead because DSO was the band I truly felt introduced me to the live GD experience. I try not to call myself a Deadhead because I never saw the GD and I wasn't there. I feel honored when someone who was there calls me a Deadhead.

Personally, I don't really care for either term. People know how deadicated I've been to DSO, but I never call myself a starhead. I love dso because I love Jerry and I will always love Jerry. If I must, I'd call myself a deadhead because it seems to be the label for people who love Jerry.... just like religious identifications- catholic, jewish, etc.

Guest Lisacat

Starheads are fans of the Dark Star Orchestra, not necessarily the Grateful Dead. You can be both, but you don't have to be. It just would be nice if Starheads could acknowledge that many people who admire DSO and keep track of them, as do I, feel a true love and gratitude towards the living and dead members of the Dead. They are no better and no worse than the rest of us, but they are brave adventurers who pushed the boundaries and made this world different. Thank God.

I don't understand how you can be a "starhead" and not a "deadhead." You can be born and raised on DSO (I was), but eventually the compass always points to terrapin. We're all here because of the GD!!!(and thank Jerry for that!)

Well said run Mary....Lisa it's hard to believe that there are folks that consider themselves deadheads that would choose to go on public chat and declare Phil a shmuck. Would a star head call a member of dso a shmuck on some chat. I wonder when the day comes that Phil is no longer here will this forum be a place to talk about how bad of a guy he is...I find separation between star heads and GD members and I find it strange.

I don't understand how you can be a "starhead" and not a "deadhead." You can be born and raised on DSO (I was), but eventually the compass always points to terrapin. We're all here because of the GD!!!(and thank Jerry for that!)

And while your at it thank phil too....

• Forum MVP

Personally, I don't really care for either term. People know how deadicated I've been to DSO, but I never call myself a starhead. I love dso because I love Jerry and I will always love Jerry. If I must, I'd call myself a deadhead because it seems to be the label for people who love Jerry.... just like religious identifications- catholic, jewish, etc.

I try to avoid being pigeonholed by any term or identification so I'm not really fond of the terms either. I especially dislike the description hippie. However, I have certainly used both terms to describe myself at some point. I think most would agree that in the end it does like you said come down to Jerry and to a lesser extent Hunter. Jerry's playing and Hunter's lyrics speak to me in a way that no other music/poetry does. However, I think the problem with both terms is what qualifies one or makes one a Deadhead or a Starhead differs from person to person. Just like the Religious description of Christian differs from Christian to Christian. Despite the differences in opinion, for most Christians, I think it comes down to Jesus. Sorry for the bad Jesus - Jerry analogy. I am sure someone may find that offensive. It just an analogy. For me, a good part of the Grateful Dead or Starhead experience is the traveling, doing several shows in a row, and making new friends all over the country. To others, it may just be getting the recording of the show ASAP and given it a listen. No one's experience is better or more valid than another. It just their own experience.

Respect is important in these matters and I think its important to respect the original creators of this music. Yes that includes Phil Lesh. I also think it is important to respect individuals in general. Yes that includes Jill Lesh. On the other hand, I think it is very important to respect one's right to express their opinion, make jokes, and poke fun. I took the bait by responding to this thread and I know all parties involved are good natured. Thats why I don't think there really is anything wrong with the Phil and Jill are schmucks comment. I can't imagine that Phil and Jill are really offended, worried, or concerned about the opinion of one fan of GD music on the DSOforums. I could be wrong, but I think there used to it by now. After all this time in the spotlight, I am 99% sure that Phil and Jill don't worry about the trivial stuff.

I love this music and I will certainly be back around the playground soon. Hopefully, I one day can attend a show at Terrapin Crossroads.

I try to avoid being pigeonholed by any term or identification so I'm not really fond of the terms either. I especially dislike the description hippie. However, I have certainly used both terms to describe myself at some point. I think most would agree that in the end it does like you said come down to Jerry and to a lesser extent Hunter. Jerry's playing and Hunter's lyrics speak to me in a way that no other music/poetry does. However, I think the problem with both terms is what qualifies one or makes one a Deadhead or a Starhead differs from person to person. Just like the Religious description of Christian differs from Christian to Christian. Despite the differences in opinion, for most Christians, I think it comes down to Jesus. Sorry for the bad Jesus - Jerry analogy. I am sure someone may find that offensive. It just an analogy. For me, a good part of the Grateful Dead or Starhead experience is the traveling, doing several shows in a row, and making new friends all over the country. To others, it may just be getting the recording of the show ASAP and given it a listen. No one's experience is better or more valid than another. It just their own experience.

Respect is important in these matters and I think its important to respect the original creators of this music. Yes that includes Phil Lesh. I also think it is important to respect individuals in general. Yes that includes Jill Lesh. On the other hand, I think it is very important to respect one's right to express their opinion, make jokes, and poke fun. I took the bait by responding to this thread and I know all parties involved are good natured. Thats why I don't think there really is anything wrong with the Phil and Jill are schmucks comment. I can't imagine that Phil and Jill are really offended, worried, or concerned about the opinion of one fan of GD music on the DSOforums. I could be wrong, but I think there used to it by now. After all this time in the spotlight, I am 99% sure that Phil and Jill don't worry about the trivial stuff.

I love this music and I will certainly be back around the playground soon. Hopefully, I one day can attend a show at Terrapin Crossroads.

The gist of it all is I feel bad for Phil. It must feel pretty shitty to shut down the idea. Rick as far as I'm I'm concerned your GD MVP in 2011.

The backstory is the Phil and Jill are schmucks. How dare someone criticize.

And in the defense of my loved ones I certainly don't want to offend you. I'd be guilty of what I despise. In the end it doesn't matter if you think their shmucks or Steve thinks phils a dick. It does make me feel weird but I know you are all here because you love the grateful dead.

Guest Lisacat

the way I see it is at the end of the day, gratitude is the best attitude, being positive is better than being negative, and being kind is much better than being mean-spirited. Negativity only breeds more negativity. Putting someone down in public (besides maybe a murderer or rapist) really serves no purpose except that of the ego's.

Forget the bad, and focus on the good. Love the people who treat you right, pray for the ones who don't. Life is too short to be anything but happy.

and I think Jerry would agree with that.

• Forum MVP

I knew we could get this thread focused back on the love. Who cares if Phil's a schmuck. I love him anyway and his music is a gift to us all. This whole thing, scene, or whatever you want to call it is a blessing to me. LOVE

Archived