Here comes sunshine

Walk in the sunshine

Tough mama

Can't find my way back home

Okie from muskogee

The stranger

NFA>mystery train>mojo>mystery train>mission in the rain>run Mary>NFA

Revolution

Very special show.... Got the setlist thrown at us but good thing I kept track cause they didnt keep the same order. Mission to run Mary described the last 8 months of my life mmmmm hmmmmmm will do all my reviews in next two days.

Off to VA to see my step dad for the last time and my mom and dad for the first time in two years..... Long strange trip just to find my way back home.

• Forum MVP

NFA>mystery train>mojo>mystery train>mission in the rain>run Mary>NFA !?!

I would have been lucky to finish that sandwich. Just about every flavor is represented here and then some! YUM!

• Forum MVP

That sandwich was certainly something else. Always really special to hear mission and two souls. Run Mary had a very nice jam in it and cripple creek was quite spectacular.

You did forget the most important part of that show in the setlist. Before the second set started Barraco sang a little snit bit from "eggs and sausage" by Tom waits. Still hoping for a Tom waits cover in the T. Nation sets but oh well.

• Forum MVP

Thanks to everyone who gave me some real time reflections during this show. I'm glad folks got a Lullaby. And with Can't Find broadening the Winwood offerings maybe Low Spark is up next.

Soon now, very soon...

• Forum MVP

And with Can't Find broadening the Winwood offerings maybe Low Spark is up next.

Soon now, very soon...

If you had just a minute to breathe

And they granted you one final wish....

Ok, a little over-dramatic but you get the point.

Oh, what a night it was! I was hoping for a "Harder They Come", and it was the perfect way to open things up. Jeff's jams were so frenetic, you could feel the energy pouring out of his guitar. By the way, I hadn't seen him play this particular guitar before, but Jeff really seemed to coax some incredible sounds from it. That, along with the new front-of-house mixer, made the music extra crisp and clear. For some unknown reason, I was also kinda hankering for a "Bye and Bye", which I hadn't witnessed live since seeing Bobby and the Midnights do it (I think) back in the very early 80's. Lisa just nailed "Oh Darling", taking complete ownership of the powerful lyrics... I'm quite sure Sir Paul would have approved! The whole band was in clip with her, building on her expertly timed delivery, and this was definitely a highlight of the show for me. She never ceases to give me goosebumps when she sings for us, regardless of what song it is. You could tell she was proud to tackle a Beatles tune, and we were the lucky recipients! I had also not heard "Russian Lullaby" live since seeing Jerry perform it sometime in the 80's, and what a beautiful song it is. The kletzmer aspects to the tune are apparent, and such a joy to slow dance to! Once again, Jeff took possession of this one, providing the wonderful balance between strong and tender emotions. Rob B. always seems to get a kick out of "Operator", and I do, too! Sure, it is over almost as soon as it begins, but what a fun "little ditty". The audience roared its approval of "Mexicali Blues", we, of course, being in a venue of the same name. Eaton was in fine command and great voice, and even though this song is never very stretched out, the band appeared to give it an extra bit of attention. With Levon's recent passing, I think it is appropriate that the band paid tribute to him and The Band with a fantastic cover of "Cripple Creek". It was quite the sing-along number for the crowd, but I also couldn't help but notice the incredible warm harmonies by the band, as well. Kevin's bass work was terrific, and the drummers provided the perfect beat. Even though they claim not to rehearse much, it just seemed like they must have at least practiced some on this one. So tight, from every corner of the stage, another highlight for me. "The Rub" was a special treat...and it took me a moment to figure out what it was. I never thought I would witness this rare number, and the band appeared to have a blast with it, and we did, too! I have always enjoyed the relaxed, lilting rhythms of "Stir It Up", and Lisa took this one on a cross-county trip.to paradise and back. The "Lindy Hop" always makes me laugh, and it is also fun to dance to, in an odd sort of way. I love the way Jeff croons the vocals where needed. "New Orleans" was given a firebrand treatment be Eaton, and he, along with the rest of the band, whipped the crowd into a Southern frenzy. All that was missing was the crawfish, gumbo, and sweet tea!

Set two began with a stellar "Here Comes Sunshine" that took its time reaching the stratosphere, then proceded to shower us with jams that alternated between tender and transformative. I really dig the 1973-74 style of this song, as opposed to the type the Dead played from 1992 on. Once again, Jeff led the band into wonderful territory on this number, and I especially relished Kevin's well placed bombs and fills that complemented Jeff's leads, another major highlight of the evening for me. Even though "Walk In The Sunshine" doesn't appear on many folks' "desert island discs", I have always liked this song, and Rob. E. showed how much he cares for it, too... and the vocal harmonies were just spot ON! Two "sunshine" songs in a row... on a cloudy, rainy night... at least it was shining brightly inside Mexicali. I thought I was going to lose my mind during "Tough Mama". So focused and at the same time very playful, the band wrapped around Jeff in his glory, and the true spirit of Jerry showed through in spades! I closed my eyes a couple of times, believing I was simply imagining things, only to have them pulled back open by the shear prowess of Jeff's masterful jams. This song had me jumping up and down with excitement, a truly amazing version, and I hope DSO keeps it in their elective repartoire. The tuning before the next number suggested we would be offered Blind Faith's "Can't Find My Way Home", and it came to be. Yet again, Lisa took us all under her wings and took flight, gracefully treating our ears and minds to a natural high that can only come from the heart. So beautiful was this version, and an opportunity for reflection. The Merle Haggard cover was absolutely hilarious... and the crowd ate it up! Jeff really acted the part, with a growl that was fairly reminiscent of Merle's, and it was a hoot. Rob B. obviously loves to sing "Two Souls in Communion", pouring his heart out into a very emotional song. So tender at times, and the backing vocals brought back the aformentioned goosebumps. I have seen them do this song now three times, and this version was easily the best. My heart was singing by its climax.

At this point in the show, my head was beginning to spin, and my energy level had dropped to almost zero, so I made the decision to leave. As I was doing so, Rob Eaton must have quickly run out to the bus for something, because we almost collided just outside the front door as he was running back in. I felt like saying: "It's not you, Rob, it's me!", but I allowed my satisfied smile to suffice for any excuse I could make for leaving such a fine show early. So sorry to have missed the "NFA" sandwich... especially "Mystery Train" and "Run Mary". Looks like a very sweet run of music. Maybe we will get lucky and Mr. Producer will find it good enough to warrant being part of future Nugs releases ;-)

Topher

• Forum MVP

Topher, good read, and thank you! There were a lot of special songs sung. Maybe some how some day the dream of the TN tour will come true. Yes, I know...

Tea, well put. Would you ask for something like another chance?

• Forum MVP

Stunning and will stand out as a favorite for a long time to come, I know. This was supposed to be our last show of the tour until we got here and realized we had to see it through to the end so the setlist hit me just right and I want this one cause they really created a musical journey in my mind I could relate to very strongly from the 8 months of separation from this music that I had only just healed in Arcata..... in a venue that I had to LEAVE when JGB played there a month or 2 before DSO came and they played Harder they Come that night so when TN opened with it I just knew I was about to get even more than I been separated from before I knew to hope to find it...... I think of that couple I lived with in Cali every time i hear this song and dancing it out for them finally felt mighty swell. Bye and Bye makes me (and others) want Lisa to do more gospel tunes.

Loose Lucy was loose and stringy indeed so the whole room got really silly and got on the ground to shake that not quite ripe fruit tree and then Big Iron without Herdy made me sad but we all danced for ya buddy (see you in Alexandria tomorrow!) Super fun.

Lisa's Oh Darlin was almost overwhelming in grace and soul and had us all stripped to our essence so when the Russian Lullaby came Mango was pretty much beside himself and we could all feel the power in our steps given to us by Mattson's melodiously marching tune. Took my breathe and heart right out of my body.

Then to close the set with just plain ridiculous silly fun!!!! Operator to get us all jiggling around good and then a great Mexicali just to get a Cripple Creek (which came on in the venue before the show coincidentally enough lol) oh yes! And then a good ol' RUB to top it off! Wonderful. Mango actually asked if I knew this one and I was a little offended cause I wouldn't say I love Pig so much if I didn't know THIS one, I mean, come on, The Rub is some classic silly dirtiness that cannot be ignored!!! I think I saw them do this at least one other time but this was def better.

We all cooled down and let the band lead us to paradise in stir it up (especially Lisa and her perfectly timed cooing). Lindy gets me all giggly and New Orleans always makes everyone go wild as it surely did this time as well. YUMMY!!!

Love the way second set came out (esp cause I saw what it was planned to be when they tossed it to us) it was just amazing. Here comes sunshine with bubbles of light bursting over every head and a jumping walk into sunshine was surely surely fine and I swear tough mama couldn't have been more fun.... DSO, i mean, TN, does STUFF to my HEAD, you guys!!!! Can't find my way INDEED thank you and I don't remember where the joke segment was cause my pen was starting to cause me issues cause my setlist book was kinda wet from my sweat but Koritz came on made everyone laugh with not one, but TWO jokes that you'll have to ask someone about for details. You guys are SILLY!

The Okie went over like a hot air balloon and we all hopped on despite the warnings. The Stranger was out of this world in beauty and our souls truly communed with each other in the crowd all the way into the band. Just lovely.

NFA>Train ohhhhh yeah just what I wanted to hear with that Eaton mojo rappin sandwich on the train we were starving for more and then MISSION.... hat off, spun into a delightful world as I realize the mission will always look the same walking along in this rain and that is perfectly alright by me cause I got my TEDDY BEAR AND MY GUN! hehe BEST Run Mary yet hands down just amazing and I GOT THE SONG this time, like REALLY got it and THANK YOU I LOVE THIS SONG. BACK into not fade to just really knock us back and the band was obviously having much too much fun (perhaps just enough!)

A revolution as we all free our minds thanks to another great DSO (oops, I mean, TN show) and like I told you, just what I said, this really stole my face right off my head.

Alexandria tomorrow and then to my parents' houses after the show to rest until Chesterfield and I do believe it will be my 50th show in Chesterfield which is damn appropriate as it is the closest DSO will EVER play to my hometown.

I need some sleep cause like my brother told me, you've GOTTA SLEEP WHEN YOU CAN!

• Forum MVP

Stellar. Fantastic. Superbly fun. Trumps the Martyrs' Tnation show which at the time was the best i've seen. Russian Lullaby is my favorite song ever and this version did it beyond justice. Love this band. Great show...more please(tnation that is).

Rest....and on to Alexandria tomorrow! My new song request, now that i've gotten two Lullabys(though more are ALWAYS welcome), is 'Love in the afternoon". Great somewhat rare JGB tune.

:dsorocks:

• Forum MVP

I will 2nd the motion for love in the afternoon. I would be more excited about that tune than lullaby. So if you need to shelve the lullaby, to break out love in the afternoon, by all means, shelve the lullaby.

• Forum MVP

Wouldn't you guys like to hear a face melting Mississippi Moon !?!?

anyway, that TN set list is a BEAUTY !!!

probably not a stand-out for some of you hardcore heads , but I really like Jeff's " Okie From Muskogee " , saw him do it at the TN show in Denver last Aug ... it's a song I always liked and Jeff got some country in his soul cause he really nailed it ...

• Forum MVP

Jerry's tent was big, and there's still room under it for all his kids and all his songs. New ones come and that doesn't mean other tunes have to go, I'd hope. Even Eye of the Tiger can have its day in the sun. The way the TN set lists have been going it really does seem like there'll be all good things in all good time.

• Forum MVP

Jerry's tent was big, and there's still room under it for all his kids and all his songs. New ones come and that doesn't mean other tunes have to go, I'd hope. Even Eye of the Tiger can have its day in the sun. The way the TN set lists have been going it really does seem like there'll be all good things in all good time.

I can assure you there will never be an Eye Of the Tiger!!!! Maybe the Eve of the Tiger Jam?;-)

• Forum MVP

Mississippi moon would be absolute bliss.

And don't ever take out Russian lullaby. Love in the afternoon can come in due time.

I've been completely obsessed with Mississippi Moon for about three months now , and I'm not planning on stopping anytime soon ;) .

totally agree w/Russian and Love will be a treat when it happens ...

Archived