Friday Fillmore

Island Bro

ill post the setlist for the sake of being sick and bored at home... :)

pine knob music theater

clarkston, MI

6/20/1991

Touch Of Grey

Greatest Story Ever Told

Peggy-O

Mexicali Blues

Maggie's Farm

Bird Song

Throwin' Stones

Iko Iko

All Along the Watchtower

Standing on the Moon

He's Gone

drums

space

The Wheel

I Need a Miracle

Wharf Rat

Throwin' Stones Reprise

Not Fade Away

Brokedown Palace

any fillers?

second set looks interesting. wish i was there!

• Forum MVP

This was the show where there was something special going on with the stars and Weir really wanted to mix things up because of it...or so he said.

I recall having a good time but how's one not supposed to when they hear a Standing, Rat and Brokedown all in one set?

Tell me...how?

:)

• Forum MVP

I can't believe the Dead opened a 2nd set in '91 with Throwing Stones (and broke it up into two parts no less) plus played a pre-drums Watchtower in the same ’91 show and it was completely off my radar. I was guessing '94, and when Eaton went into Watchtower I was wondering if they were replacing something they won't play like Shoe Fits or something dreadful. That's how odd it seemed. But then the pre-drums Standing suggested earlier 90s.

As for the show, they really seemed to be trying extra hard to make lemonade out of that frankly weak list of a 6 song 1st set - sadly all too common for the Dead in that era. Nonetheless, it really didn't get going for me until the Maggie's, which was extended to places the Dead would never have taken it. Sort of like a JGB Masterpiece vs. Dead Masterpiece. Jeff had one scorching flurry of notes that is particularly memorable. But they really took Bird Song out there, squeezing everything drop possible out of the truncated 1st set. I thought it was the show's strongest song with room to spare.

The second set featured no less than 3 HUGE jams; Standing, Wharf Rat, and Not Fade Away, the latter of which was the most satisfying for me. There were bowel dislodging levels of low frequency insanity during the drums, and space had an extended section where it seemed China Doll would drop out of it time and again until a quick shifting of gears into The Wheel.

I was disappointed there was no time for filler. A '91 show needs filler like it's nobody's business. :)

On a personal note, it was a pleasure to meet several board members and card carrying torch bearers of the next generation of Deadheads - Supplicated, Mango, and HelpSlip. The Dead's legacy is in good hands with the likes of you folks!

• Forum MVP

John's review completely reflects my experience last night (hope to meet you tonight, man!).

It was cool to experience such a twisty Bird Song in the very room where Janis did much of her thang...felt like a really cool tribute to her in that space.

The Wharf Rat jam went WAY out there for sure as well as some Not Fade madness...!

I too was perplexed about a Throwing Stones set opener (didnt know they ever did that) and it was even trippier that they went back into it to finish the set,,,band looked to be really having fun swinging back into that...as if they had no control over it and it was just HAPPENING....kick ass closer.

Kevin and Barraco hung out and jammed for a few as things transitioned into drums which was really cool groove and drums was a ripper for sure. Kevin sounded louder last night which I liked,,,

What a living museum that hall is...

• Forum MVP

i'm going to be less nice about it....that was the most boring set ever. songs well played but to me that's a set that is better left dead- to each is own. I saw many having a blast last night and was happy that DSO rocked it out for a big crowd....setlist was just not for me.

Looking forward to tonight!

• Forum MVP

A day before Redwood City I told Riley, "I just want Maggie's Farm" so I got what I asked for which was wonderful and reassured me of my touch but the Peggy O had me in the first set. Like others said, the Bird Song was truly where it was at for that shorty but fun tease of a first set.

SOTM and Brokedown in one show (WAS JUST WHAT I WANTED!) but the former with He's Gone and Wharf Rat in the second set meant it was awkward being "down in the crowd".... hard to feel it sometimes with all the distractions when others talk through slowness so being in the balcony was pretty nice... and we found familiar faces up there which always helps. The SOTM was particularly powerful and commanding and as it has become a special one for me and Mango I was very grateful.

Throwin had me wondering if Eaton just screwed up or if they would honestly come back to it, cause I didn't know the Grateful Dead ever did that......... VERY cool surprise and set up. Iko came in out of nowhere mentally but musically was perfectly appropriate and appeared right on time then watchtower was truly ridiculously powerful and majestic!!!! FEEELING it!

felt the miracle during space and was surprised with the wheel coming first but it was just great and got us up from our back massaging session (that drums was so reverberating it was too wonderful of an opportunity to sit and literally soak it in!) to spinning through the wheels of our balcony spaceship where we could see everyone fall into a puddle of nostalgic goo during wharf rat and watch thrown stones come back in to everyone's EXTREME delight!

NFA was so amazing! and that is a little funny to say of a song that happens so often.... but it WAS! the crowd loved it so much they had the strongest post song pre encore chant and clap going i have heard since Jeff joined..... it was MIND BLOWING and so well deserved by this band that delivers such magic night after night!

like mango, I wasn't able to get deep into this one, it was my show to just hang back and take it in instead of staying deep down in it but that happens every now and then and it helps me keep my perspective keen.

love ya'll can't wait for tonight it's gonna be one to remember i can feel it!

• Forum MVP

Yeah...

Now that the day has moved along and after digesting the show more and other reviews it almost feels as though last night the boys were doing some sort of "foundation work" in preparation for tonight... Sometimes it makes more sense to see a doubleheader as one whole package rather than two totally separate shows...Kinda like two separate sets being part of one whole show,,,if that makes sense...

• Advisory Board

WOW! A Throwing Stones second set sammich!! I LOVE IT!! Throwing stones is one of my favorite Bobby tunes, and Eaton does a kick ass version of it everytime! Is this the only show with a Throwing Stones Reprise, like they always did with Playin in the Band?

• 1 month later...
  • Forum MVP

I really enjoyed this recreation...Maggie's was strong, as was BirdSong..Loved the Throwin>Aiko transition, as well as the Miracle>WharfRat> throwingstones reprise..really great..solid, silky smooth stuff

to answer Herdy's question yes thats the only time GD ever split up a Throwing Stones like that..

great hanging with JohnA for the first time this night

Archived