Truckin'

Drums

The Other One

Eyes Of The World

Sugar Magnolia

Encore:

Around And Around

Now that is my kind of setlist!!

A member of the Northeast Dead tribute band Playin' Dead called into the 'Tales from the Golden Road' talk show on Grateful Dead XM radio (which is flipping amazing by the way) last Sunday and sent a shout out to any band listening to play Eyes of the World on the 9th as part of a special 40th anniversary thing. "Eyes Across the World" I think it was called. I was lucky enough to see DSO play not only Eyes but a '73 Eyes. So sick. Playin' was also insane

• Forum MVP

There was a guy next to me filming from the front of the balcony in the center and another recording (sound) in front of the soundboard. He said they were going to try to link up, so there may be some video surfacing at some point.

Went to this show expecting an early 70's lineup, and somehow managed to get it right.  A great concert indeed.  Very packed - balcony filled, floor wall-to-wall.  Lots of huge beers being consumed but good fresh air coming in from the smoking-area exit, keeping the place fair & cool, man.  They just seem so ON, it is freaking amazing.  Jubilee!

I headed out from Buffalo with my roommate and Mr. Charlie from the forums for both the Ohio shows on the weekend. I hadn't seen DSO since the New Years run, and I have to say it was very nice to get my feet wet before I head off to Colorado for the 3-day run out there. 

The venue was an interesting place. Just an old theater gutted out for the modern times. The venue sits right across from Ohio State on a street loaded with bars, so it is very funny seeing everyone come out of the show and be thrown in the mix of an entirely different party scene. The venue isn't really a favorite of mine but it worked. They served beer in glass and plastic, but the beers they served were enormous (32oz!) and as people got more hammered they would drop their beer bottles leaving broken glass all over the floor. I also have to say this was definitely the most hammered crowd I've ever witnessed at a show. This made for a less desirable crowd than usual. Some drunks become bombastic at times and just blurt out the lyrics in a terrible unruly fashion. I did run into some very great drunkards, but for the most part I would get irked when I could barely hear the music at times due to people around me. I personally will never understand the chattiness of others at a concert. It's a concert, so listen!

For me the show started to take off with The Love Each Other and really started to get groovin' after a great LL Rain. LL Rain to me, was always a song that is subtle in its energy, but can really build up nicely by the end, and tonight was no exception to addressing that energy with great signing by Rob E. The highlight of the first set for me was definitely Bird Song. The band was very tight for Bird Song and delivered it with vigor and creativity that I very much enjoyed. The song often reminds me of the poem Ode to a Nightingale, by John Keats. The poem addresses how an individual's life, such as that of a nightingale's, can be brief, but the song that it sings is passed on to other nightingales and is heard throughout the world. Themes very much embodied in Ripple. I've always felt, and I assume many of you guys feel that same, that the Grateful Dead's music has a very transcendent quality and will always remain timeless. As the night carried on, the energy built with the first set closing with PITB, and the powerful second set to follow. Eyes of the World has always been a favorite of mine to dance to and let loose, reassuring me that "sometimes we live in no particular way but our own." A deadhead can be a very puzzling individual to outsiders, but meeting others like me has provided me with much comfort. Sugar Magnolia is always a fun way to end the final set, despite being very common closer I'm a sucker for it. Just something about that pause right before the Sunshine Daydream coda. The longer the pause the only more excited I get. I always look for something great I've never heard before in the filler, and even though Next Time You See me wasn't new for me, it was nice to hear the old-school dead harmonica and Rob B. singing. Although I enjoyed the following night in Cleveland a bit more, tonight was a very fun night, with DSO delivering once again. 40th anniversary of Eyes was a cool fact, and also the fact that this was Jeff's first show, a show that Rob B, was also in attendance to. It's cool to think that they got to share that experience together without even knowing it at the time, and that they would become very good friends down the road to only recreate that awesome experience for others.

Archived