Songs that get you off:}

• Forum MVP

I get so excited with some songs.   I have no favorite.   My love changes, actually it expands.  I have never grown tired of GD music---except Picasso Moon-----But fuck the hate,,, show me and the community your love!!!

What songs do it for you?

Allow me to start------Bertha.   I love Bertha openings.   there are few songs that send that immediate fun and energetic vibe right into my cardiovasc system.   I compare Bertha to a iv of adrenaline into the bloodstream.   I go electric when I hear those first bun dum de dums------oh yea!!!!

So many Roads.   A newer song, but GDamn, GD fucking knew what words to put out for the thousands of heads who would be lost after the show!!   I love you Jerry, thank you, that song moved me in many different directions for decades thereafter!!!

Baby Blue---my god I hate Dylan's voice, but fuck, he gave me some awesome words mediated through GD!!!

China/Rider----god I fucking miss that sound---live----can not wait to hear live again!!!

We all love GD songs and those that wrote songs meant for GD, even if not known at the time.  Would just love to know what songs move you guys/gals.   Where does it take you.  We all know these feelings and thoughts change and evolve over time, so what, share with us how a song as changed you, or has evolved with you!!

GD forced me to expose my soul to strangers!!  That took a lot of work, and years of breaking down many barriers!!   Yea, the party favors helped, but you know it when you first share your soul to the first sounds of a new life!!    Its remarkable, and not describable to anyone who does not get it!!!

Morning Dew for my second set.  I love that song, though Mason Child has shared some info that changed the meaning of that song for me forever!!

Love to know what your favorites mean to you!!!   US Blues,  hated that song decades back.   I listen to it at least 5 times a day now!!!

Here comes sunshine====OMG...    That song makes me melt.  Better than orgasm!!!    

Hugs and love with spring bloom!!!    Thanks again for giving me a outlet and a medium to express and enjoy the bestest sounds ever!!!      I get to see you guys soon!!!!!    

I want

Help Slip Franklins- is one of the first ones to lure me on the bus. Its still one of my favorite dance freakout party group of tunes. 

Feel like a stranger- Man I feel like that more everyday but this one makes me not give a shit when im dancin in my car at a redlight. I have an old school punker friend that I slipped this tune on and he was diggin the groove and rockin out, at the end he said " Damn who was that?"  When I told him he got pissed!!!   Haha  he got got.

Rubin and Cherise- I know some of us here dont like Warren's stint with The Dead but there is a sweet version from Wave That Flag Tour in Charlotte! He also did Shine on you crazy Diamond with the boys on that tour!!!

• Forum MVP

When at a show the open to "music never stops" always get me going. Get pretty excited when jeff rocks a Might as well. Women are smarter is fun. But love to zone out to a good wharf rat or dark star too. Viola lee and other one are fave "jam songs"

There's too many to name. I do however prefer the classic jams. Viola lee, the eleven, TOO, alligator, mr. Charlie, and other live dead era stuff. I love it all, but at a show I'm always hoping for some good ole classic grateful dead. Anything post 76 is excellent as well. But 74 and before is just too good.

• Forum MVP

When I was younger a good 4-5 ,minute Bertha or Cumberland would really do it for me (my wife claims even a 3 minute Alabama, but I'm not buying it). Now that I'm older a good 20-25 minute "Other One" really does the trick. My wife prefers it with the Cryptical intro before the bombs, either is fine with me :headbang:

• Forum MVP

Here comes Sunshine.    Did not even listen to that song for long time.  My GD evolution was odd.  i gravitated to the scene for other things before the music.   Now....one of the those songs that makes my eyes water.   Lyrics to music comp is so odd for me.   But I take lyrics and make them my own.   Eyes encompasses all the music now.   I use bits and peices to my own delight, as tools, messages the transcend original intent......well maybe not true.  Orignal intent I think more deep than I get yet!!   

What gets me.......the thought and intellegence in some of the lyrics.  Beyond Sunshine.......some just fun, simple, groove, and enjoy.  Others, mystical, thought provoking,

Even now, i am just getting a clue to some tunes.   Even now, I am just finally learning the real words, aside from the words I have subplanted, even after all these years.   I love when the old becomes new again.  

Yea, this is a hard topic, cause there are so many favorites at different times!!       

I have really been digging some late 70's Casey Jones.     how they take that song, and jam it to a fucking pulp is just fascinating to me!!!

• 3 weeks later...

What gets me off is hearing a song version I KNOW I've heard a dozen of times, but on that 13th listen, FINALLY getting it! And the funny thing is it doesn't need to be some sort of critical listening session through the Paradigms or headphones, and with a side of Crimea Blue.

Often it's during a ride to work, or while doing the dishes, or out in the workshop goofing off. I'll suddenly stop and realize... "Holy fuck, Jerry is going off like an atom bomb" or "Goddamn, Bill is tearing this shit up."

Whatever the case, I usually try to take a note either on paper or grey matter, to remember this version for my Head Set!

• Forum MVP

I have mentioned that Bertha really kicks my ass in to high gear.   Well it has kicked me into super high gear here lately.

How many different versions my ears have listend, but damn  There is a DSO Albany show I have been listening too.

They open up with Bertha 2nd set, and it is one of the best productions of that song I have ever heard.  It gives me chills, it got me so syked the other day after work, I through on running shoes, and must of ran 4-5 miles while looping that version!!!  The music moves me in more ways than I can explain!!

MMMMMMM........The love it brings:}

GREAT TOPIC, I'M WRITING A "HEAD-SET" FOR MY SELF NOW AND AM LOOKING AT ALOT OF THESE SONGS DIFFERENTLY AND HONESTLY THERE ARE SOME DSO VERSIONS I LIKE BETTER THEN THE DEAD. SO MY SET IS MOSTLY DEAD BUT WITH A FEW DSO SONGS MIXED IN. ME AND BUDDY SAW THE #2000 SHOW IN ITHACA NY AND LISA BELTED A HURTS ME TOO THAT FLOORED THE BOTH OF US, SCREAMING AND WAILING PURE BLUES.  GOT A CD  OF THE SHOW FROM ARCIVES AND I CRANK MY OLD-SCHOOL KLIPSCH SPEAKERS AS LOUD AS THEY GO TIL THE HOUSE SHAKES....... ANYWAYS COOL TOPIC AND I WIL HAVE TO LOOK FOR THAT DSO ALBANY, BERTHA, ......LET ME KNOW WHAT YEAR AND ILL TRY TO FIND IT ON ARCIVES OR NUGGS

THANKS

Archived