Portland Night 1

Tom Banjo

• Forum MVP

One

Jack Straw, West L.A. Fadeaway, Little Red Rooster*, Tennessee Jed, Beat It On Down The Line-> Big Railroad Blues, Looks Like Rain, Don't Ease Me In

Two

Help On The Way-> Slipknot!-> Franklin's Tower-> Estimated Prophet-> Eyes Of The World-> Drums-> Truckin'-> Wharf Rat-> Goin' Down The Road Feelin' Bad-> One More Saturday Night
E: Day Job

• Forum MVP

De floor be a bouncin last night

Dig gettin the Run Mary (Thank you!!)

Really fun show all around...outrageous 2nd set

Dino/Rob tribal freakashake during drums

PLENTY of dance space= many happy campers

realizing they are not just "recreating" the GD experience...but rather, 'redefining' the GD experience...it's just that potent....

a blessing to have this much fun and feel this much joy!!

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile...

• Forum MVP

I have never had so much fun dancing at the Ballroom in my life.  The space we had this night was incredible.  Not my favorite setlist, but definitely a lot of fun.  I really can't stress how much fun I had dancing this night.  The ballroom floor was bouncy like a trampoline   

• Forum MVP

Portland Night 1

This was by far the most fun I've had dancing at the Crystal Ballroom.  This was not my first trip and certainly won't be my last, but I've never had so much room to move there.  The floor bounces, in fact it rests on series of ball bearings that create a flowing  floor that feels like a bounce.  It's designed for dancing.  All my previous trips to the ballroom have taken place over a weekend; tonight's show was on a weeknight.  Furthermore, Trey had played the Ballroom the night before.  The weeknight coupled with a busy day for jam fans the weeknight before didn't create the best scenario for ticket sales for the band.  I am sure the band and its management would have preferred a larger turnout, but for the kid who wants to dance, flail, jump, and shout, it doesn't get much better than a half full ballroom (I don't know the actual percentage of ticket sales).  Additionally, weeknight crowds tend to keep some of the rift raft away and there seems to be a higher percentage of people who you know without sounding too deader than thou "get it."

The stage set up screamed 80s with no mic for Lisa and the beast set up behind the drum kits.  This doesn't really excite me and I must admit that I sometimes refer to 80's shows in the most endearing of manner as "80s snoozefest."  The shows are always fun, but the set lists tend to underwhelm in my opinion, especially in comparison to a list from the 60s or 70s.  Don't get me wrong; I have many favorites from 80s Dead material and although to my liking the set list would focus on mostly earlier material, we would get treated to one of my favorite 80s dead songs and I must admit one of my least favorite.  

I don't think you can go wrong with a Jack Straw opener.  I love when the band comes out with a high energy opener and the crowd is asked to respond in turn.  This couldn't of been more appropriate given the space we were going to have to spin and twirl tonight.  I'm telling you the floor felt like a trampoline.  Remember as a kid you could bounce your friend way in the air or if you timed it right, you could deaden his reaction.  Fuck as a kid; somebody needs to break out the trampoline now.  West LA follows Jack Straw and if its going to be an 80s show, I am always pleased by the appearance of West LA.  Great song to work out some more funky elongated moves and really feel out the space.  Little Red Rooster had some nice harp work added by side stage Lisa Mackey, actually right over Baracco's shoulder.  This really added to the bluesy feeling of the show.  It was a relief that no space was lost during the slower opening segment of Rooster.  The dancer's had to retreat back once, but we still controlled a spot on the bouncy floor and it looked like it would hold for the rest of the night.  Like I said, the ballroom was a dancer's paradise.  I loved the Railroad Blues.  I really love the prison songs and railroad blues is no exception.  "Whoa oh I should've listen to what mamma said."  Looks like Rain is always a great chance to reflect on love's lost and the many who throughout life have gotten away for one reason or another.  It never does seem to work.  I guess the prankster axiom nothing lasts often proves true.  Fortunately, no tears currently in my life for that song just a smile knowing that all parties find themselves in a better place now.  Set closes Don't Ease me In.

Help is probably my favorite GD opener.  We had a thread on this question in the past and I am not sure I offered any suggestions, but I'm quite convinced today, in this present moment, that no song gets my blood flowing more than Help to start the set.  The power and beauty of Help on the Way starts the uplifting of one's spirit in an incredible way.  "Without love in the dream…" Slipknot sends one off into a dancing frenzy, almost to the point of losing control, and then slowly the band brings you back into focus and the joy spreads across the venue floor, Franklin's Tower..  "If you get confused, listen to the music play."  As if Help>Slip>Franklins wasn't enough of a mental voyage.  DSO drops into Estimated which one can only assume will be followed by Eyes, although this assumption can be a bad one.  The psychedelic mind fuck of Estimated is best relieved in my mind by one of the GD finest and most uplifting numbers, Eyes.  Eyes truly reaffirms one's own direction in the world and reminds us of the love abound in one's own being.  A love that is best shared.  After an enjoyable tribal drums shakedown, the band teases the Other One before dropping into the all to familiar notes of Truckin.  This is not always my favorite tune, but DSO's version tonight was stellar.  They really flushed out the tune, exploring many different avenues all the while keeping the energy high.  As usual, the show peaks for me during the Jerry ballad.  I am so appreciative that I had room to properly express myself during this moment.  Wharf Rat sad and downtrodden, but uplifting at the same time.  Jeff absolutely owns this song tonight and the crowd is treated to a tremendous story.  One I know many in this community can tell.  Set closes with some great dance numbers, GDTRFB and OMSN.  One of my lesser favorite from the 80s, Day Job, is offered as the encore, but not to leave me on a sour note, DSO offers us their original Run Mary with the wonderful Lisa Mackey to close the show.  The filler is fun and high energy and I really enjoy hearing DSO show off their Hunter original.  

I am so glad I got to spend so much time with so many great friends.  I even made a few more.  Thank you DSO for all you do to bring likeminded souls together to share this music and love with one another.   Tonight would be the best dance party I've had with so many friends in awhile, even more so than Jamaica where the group of friends dancing was smaller and a bit more intimate.  Both experiences are of great value to me and none would be possible without the music of the GD and the DSO.  

• Forum MVP

Thanks Rick > thanks for the great recap of Portland 1.0!

You got exactly what I wish for every time I see DSO - dancing space.  Crammed shoulder to shoulder seems to take some of the energy out of me even if I i'm crammed against somebody that's having a great old time like I am.  I just want to spead my wings and open up every spot I have to accept the music and then let it take me wherever it wants to go.  I just get soooo much peace through this musical catharsis.

Seeing 'inside' shows in the east/southeast generally means a packed house - no matter the day of the week.  Tryin not to bitch too much - I will happily endure DSO @ the 930 club instead of almost any activity - let alone lifes trials and tribulations.  It's just that much better with some space to LET - IT - FLY!

I am giddy with anticipation for the Jubilee and all of the wonderful shows headed to my neck of the woods this summer.  In addition to the shows around here (MD, VA, NC), I simply cannot wait to get up to the old Buckeye lake and settle in for a magical weekend with DSO and company.  Regardless of the weather, it's gonna be exactly what the doctor ordered.  I have no doubt.

Life for me lately has been filled with more than its fair share of tradedgy, heartbreak, and sorrow -  balanced with those precious times with my wife and kids that bring me joy and comfort.  I'm ready for some space to do my special brand of flailing and to share the expereince with some genuinely awesome folks.   

Thanks again Rick > Your reviews help those of us who must live a little vicariously until we can get our turn on the magic carpet ride :)

• Advisory Board

Rick, you're fucking nuts if you call the 80's shows a snoozefest... 80's are my favorite!! years ago 70's shows were it for me, but I find the setlists almost predictable at times... 80's you really never know what you're gonna get..

just my .02

Damn this was a fun night. I got to see the band in Eugene and both Portland nights but this night took the cake for me. The room to dance on the bouncy floor, coupled with high good energy freaks twirling nearby while the band played at its peak just floored me. I found the promised land.

In the first set, there were a number of highlights... West LA fadeaway shined and sounded dirty silky funky. LRRooster, a song I'm meh about from the old days, just burned like fire. Kudos to Mr. E for bringing it. And I couldn't get enough of that bluesy country twang in BRRBlues.

The second set was a barn burner, had me dancing all night until Wharf Rat, when I came up to the stage and let my jaw drop as the band played this gut wrencher. Jeff's vocals sounded so emotive and beautiful. The band sounded like a broken down hobo looking to make one more play and "fly away", just nailed it. Then back to non stop dancing the rest of the show. Thank you my good people. Thank you to a band that just gives it all consistently and passionately.

BTW, i talked with Rob B briefly after the show and asked a stupid question...do you guys ever get tired, to which he said...of course all the time, but coffee and the music keep me going. I just have to say, if you all get discouraged, or feel burnt out from the touring, just know that many of us fans are incredibly appreciative and feel blessed to have you do what you are doing. Stay strong and come back and blow us away again. I'll be there.

• Forum MVP

I stand by my statement.  The snoozefest is a term of endearment.  I much prefer the 76-78 offerings, the originals, the 69s, and the one drummers to any of the years in 1980.  Herdy I know your a big 83 fan.  I really like 88 and 89, but not more than 76-78.  I agree there is some more variety and spontaneity to these latter set lists.  They are certainly more conducive to playing back to back shows as the earlier shows had tons of repeats from night to night.  All shows have their positives and all heads have their opinions.  Either way DSO knocked it out the park.  

• Forum MVP

A setlist is a setlist but I find that DSO tends to reflect the era they are playing. For me, all things pre-80s are better.

Love electives though, throw me the wildcard. Dark Star, JGB-material, and So Many Roads all in the same show? Yes please.

• Forum MVP

Originals are like ice cream. If you only go out for ice cream once a month or so its a special treat. If you go out for ice cream 2 or 3 times a week it loses some of the specialness. I'll never complain either way though. DSO is DSO and ice cream is ice cream and i love em both. Whether its guessing the year of a recreation or realizing its an original and knowing you may hear literally anything!!!

• Forum MVP

Originals are like ice cream. If you only go out for ice cream once a month or so its a special treat. If you go out for ice cream 2 or 3 times a week it loses some of the specialness. I'll never complain either way though. DSO is DSO and ice cream is ice cream and i love em both. Whether its guessing the year of a recreation or realizing its an original and knowing you may hear literally anything!!!

Umm, when have you ever seen 2 or 3 Electives in one week? I would be fine with DSO doing all electives, especially if they do era-based ones like the Terrapin xroads show or night 2 at the GAMH....but I like shows too. Hard to beat a good 76-78 show....

....and damn it's been a while since I caught a 69 show, can't even remember the last one. Jubilee?!?!?

Russian Lullaby?!?!?

Archived