Drums

The Wheel

Gimme Some Lovin'

All Along The Watchtower

Morning Dew

Sugar Magnolia

The Mighty Quinn

The Weight

Really wonderful show. Thoughts to come.

• Forum MVP

The audio quality on the 7-2-88 Morning Dew from the digital FOB spaced Neumann U89 omni recording is truly breathtaking.  Of all the archived sonic bliss The Boys left us, this might just be the absolute top of the heap.  Beware though, a full range playback system that can withstand undue torture is required.  I have heard many an overloaded woofer trying to play this bad boy over the years.

This and the following night were my last East Coast shows...moved to California two weeks later and never looked back.

• Forum MVP

Last night was really really strong. Very surprising for Keene on a Wednesday night. Jack Straw, West LA, Foolish Heart, Crazy Fingers, PITB, Terrapin and Dew were the highlights for me. 

Kevin sounded really really good. Dominant bass playing and I really enjoyed seeing him sing.

I tell you what, there's a lot of things I'm going to miss about him but i think I'll miss his masterful bass playing the most. I'm really going to miss him. One last hoorah tonight!

I thought the high points were UJB>Terrapin and Memphis Blues.  Great stuff.

Low point - a long wait to buy beer at the only place in the venue it was being sold, and then discovering they only had Bud Light. 

The Colonial Theater was the site of my first DSO show in the fall of 1999.  An old college friend had seen them the night before in Sommerville and insisted I go to Keene with him.  I reluctantly acquiesced.  I had turned him on to the Dead back in the 80s.  14 years, and I don't know how many DSO shows later, I consider the debt re-paid. 

• Forum MVP

7.2.88 > One of the All-Timers!  The GD bug bit me in April of '88 and I was ready to get on the bus although it took me until 1989 before my seat truly opened up.  My 'tour-mentor' came back said it was the closest experience he had to Ventura 1972.  That's sayin somethin.

The buzz on Main Street today from last night's show is amazing, as the temps hit 80 degrees for the first time since last summer - people are talking everywhere about last night.  It's amazing how many of our friends, neighors, shop owners, restaurant folks are talking.   Even my yoga teacher and my daughter's math tutor have that special glow and smile today.   DSO in Keene for us folks is a community event!!  

You almost had to peel me off the floor with the Crazy Fingers 2nd set opener.    Jeff meant serious business all night (as did the entire band), but the Terrapin melted me, as did the Foolish Heart.  Kevin was a pool of bliss in my eyes when he played and when he sang - his verse on Weight was sweeeeet as was the duet of Lisa and Rob B during their collective verse.

Will miss Boston tonight to attended a gr8 school play....but back at it for VT and Hampton Beach.    Band and Crew - THANK YOU FOR WHAT YOU DO!  

• Forum MVP

7/2/88 is the only GD show that I still have a full, unused ticket.  My friends car broke down in Mass. and we never made it. 

Ouch!  The only unused tickets I have are the Shoreline late summer '90 shows that were cancelled due to Brent's ridiculously untimely passing.

One of the few tours that I was able to hit every show.  This was summer after college graduation for me.  Started with a Dylan show in Alpine Valley followed by 4 Dead shows.  Oxford was a definite highlight for venue, weather and music.  Saratoga still wins by a slight margin, performance-wise for me.  That second set was ridiculous, as long as you were inside out of the rain.  Also I had 1st row Orchestra Pit seats and had a near Jerry experience.  They hit the opening notes for Foolish Heart which they had only played for the first time a couple of weeks earlier at Alpine, and my girlfriend at the time screams "it's Foolish Heart!" and Jerry practically stops and looks over his glasses and just beams at her.  He must have been so surprised that someone recognized a brand new tune from just the opening notes.  Anyone remember the guy in the ultra-lite at Oxford.  So cool.  Just cruising a couple of hunder feet above the crowd at sunset before the first set.

only unused stubs i ever had were from the Boston garden run in September 1995 - got them before jerry died - Had one set marked by GDSTOO and had thenm framed with Hunter's eulogy and the coolest Jerry photo in a black t and flannel shirt with guitar - hangs in my man cave where i burn music...

7/2/88 is the only GD show that I still have a full, unused ticket.  My friends car broke down in Mass. and we never made it. 

Ouch!  The only unused tickets I have are the Shoreline late summer '90 shows that were cancelled due to Brent's ridiculously untimely passing.

Loved Brent,  very sad summer for us

The crowd was going SO NUTS at the guy on the ultra light during Bird Song ,  almost it seemed as a distraction to the band as they shut it down after bird song.  Felt like they were gonna play a few more .  Coulda been us but thats how we felt . Was WAY cool watching him up there tho.  Whatta F U N couple shows ! 

Archived