Another Tale of the DSO Jubilee

Tom Banjo

• Forum MVP

Love and Light via the Dark Star Jubilee (Rough Copy)

I started the tour in Port Chester and attended every gig from the start of tour through the Jubilee with one exception, Verona single set.  Unfortunately, that meant missing the World to Give.  In the meantime, I spent mother’s day with my mom and helped a friend move out to Colorado with me.  A short-term investment that I know will pay off in the long run and do worlds of good for a great friend.  Anytime your on tour, parties and good times are inevitable and this was no exception, but the Jubilee at the end of the run represented a successful trip East and would be the culmination of this 3 week party.  My baby would be with me and so would about 50 to 100 of my closest friends. 

I really have many friends and family to thank for making this a successful trip, but I want to focus the thanks more specifically on those who we’re critical in pulling off the move and the Jubilee in one fell swoop.  It goes without saying, but I will anyway that the Dark Star Orchestra band, crew, and their management deserves tremendous gratitude for bringing us all together and putting together an experience unlike any other.  Watch out people this thing is going to grow.  I already know several summer camp kids that are doing the Jubilee next year and several other non-attendees that look more and more like they will be present for next year’s event.  I find it important to cherish these early formative years of the Jubilee because as it grows some of the intimacy will without a doubt die.  A special thanks must be extended to DSO’s stage manager, Nick, and his lovely fiancé Sarah.  Without their support and friendship this would have been real hard to pull off.  They certainly went beyond what anyone has to do for rabid fans and showed us true kindness and friendship.  I know that I am forever grateful.  I cannot wait to do this event again and I hope at some point we get to play host for them.  Just two fantastic people that I’m glad have befriended me through life’s journey.  Thank you.

The music started late in the day on Friday and we were all pretty amped up and ready to go.  With the move under way, we had been in Columbus since Wednesday night or I guess really Thursday AM.  The rest of the ride to Evergreen would go pretty smooth, but the initial pick up and emptying of a storage unit in DC and the tired drive into the early morning hours would be eventful and full of stressful situations for my co-pilot.  I’m pretty sure we all had a good party feeling going on up on the hill, aka Camp Inappropriate or as sun would simply call it Herdy’s camp or as a great friend of mine made reference to as Camp Not Weird Enough.  Hopefully, next year we can have some more of the intellectual DSO crowd join us to share their weirdness, but not many can handle the all night noise and constant party of the camp.  Not to mention the rain of last year or the cold of this year.  Despite the bitter cold, I find it best not to complain too much.  The love and light of friends and music would be enough to warm this poor soul’s heart throughout the weekend.  Although in all honesty, I wasn’t as warm and welcoming as I could’ve been and hopefully, I will be in a little bit better spirits and more welcoming to other’s next year.  The 3 weeks had been stressful and I had been none too careful at points.  I was lucky to be returning to Colorado in the same state and position as when I left.  I was served a reminder of the need to be constantly present and aware of what your doing and how your doing it.  A reminder I have received too many times and I should just learn by now. 

There was lots of quality music throughout the weekend, but I will focus the music reviews contained in this piece around the Dark Star shows.   Although I was present at the stage at other times and fortunate enough to catch lots of great music, the Dark Star Orchestra was my sole purpose and reason for being at Buckeye Lake for the Jubilee. 

Night 1 DSO recreates 7/10/81 St. Paul, MN

Set 1

Jack Straw

Mama Tried >

Mexicali Blues

Loser

Cassidy

Brown Eyed Women >

CC Rider

Ramble on Rose

Let it Grow

Don’t Ease me In

DSO came firing out the gate with a strong powerful Jack Straw.  At this point, I couldn’t be happier to have brought a rug down to the show with me to protect my feet from the rocks.   Throughout the weekend, the rug may have proven to be more stressful than helpful, although I think members of my DSO family certainly appreciated the effort.  It was already a little chilly and the Jack Straw was the perfect high-energy opener to get us moving and the sweatshirts off.  The cowboy segment is always danceable and playful way to keep the bodies moving and feet a dancing.   Hell mama still trying.  Loser is one of those great Jerry story songs that amazing we all relate too it such a profound way yet not many of us would consider ourselves to be card players.  The gambler metaphor is present it quite a good deal of music and can easily be extrapolated to our lives, as almost all ventures in life are a gamble from one degree to another.  As the business theory goes, risk equals reward.  Furthermore, the song portrays a man who has rigged the game; the same way we all pretend to rig our own game, but unfortunately, the game of life cannot be rigged and we must all struggle on together.  Oh did I mention Jeff always shreds the solos in Loser.  Tonight’s was strong and worthy of praise.  I love the song Cassidy.  What a tremendous reaffirmation of who you are and embracing the life you live.  Eaton was very powerful on this song and DSO had the crowd swooning and twirling throughout the magic.  Brown Eyed Women would keep the crowd a dancing, another tremendous Jerry/Hunter story.  One I have actually witnessed firsthand.  My high school sweetheart’s grandmother passed away and shortly thereafter, her grandfather went too.  Following her grandmother’s death, he stopped eating and generally taking care of himself.  It seemed like her death took the life out of him.  I didn’t recognize it so well at the time, but it was truly something special, albeit painful, to witness a love so powerful.  CC Rider and Ramble on Rose provided a nice reprieve for me to relax and dance a bit slower, although certainly not a down part of the show.    Let it Grow racketed the energy back up to full force before Don’t Ease me In closed the set.

Set 2

Samson and Deliah

Althea

Estimated Prophet>

Eyes>

Drums>

Space>

Uncle John’s Band>

Playin >

China Doll >

Uncle John’s >

Playin >

Around and Around >

Good Lovin

Encore

Casey Jones

Unfortunately, I would not be present at the stage for the start of the 2nd set.  It would be unfair for me to give a review of the Samson through Estimated, as I had to deal with some issues between my lovely lady and myself.  It hurts to miss music, but I think it was a great growing experience for the both of us.  I know I am truly blessed to have such a strong and wonderful lady in my life.  We would reassume our positions amongst friend’s and family by Eyes of the World.  It truly is an amazing experience to wake up and find out.   At this point, the first stresses of the rug would make their appearance.  A great friend of mine and two unknown kids decided the dance floor was a space to sit.  I know I shouldn’t let things like that bother, but oh did it ever.  The two unknowns eventually put their bag in the middle of the rug and like a child, a chucked it off.  I know I was being a dick.  The male seemed to get the idea that this was my rug and my territory and tried to move his lady off my space.  Once discovering she had been removed from a space she now considered her territory she proceeded to spread herself out all over my rug.  I acted like a child and I received childish behavior in return. Go figure.  My friend and I worked this out the next day through conversation and to be honest, I don’t care if I ever see those kids, although I would hope that our next encounter was more peaceful.  By that time of the night, one can easily find himself on edge enough to treat others in a manner he is not proud of and hopes to never do so again.  I still feel like convincing those kids to travel along was the right idea, but I feel their definitely could have been an easier less forceful solution to the matter.  Jenna eventually did have my friend move to a chair that I also brought down.  Night 2 our set up would grow to be even more impressive as my friends would borrow another bigger rug and bring a few more chairs down with them.  Following drums > space, the dancing would reignite with a fury.  The night had grown very cold and the only thing warming the body was the dance while the music warmed the soul.

Uncle John’s Band started to cool the fire inside.  After all, who could remain angry with another man during such a beautiful song?  It certainly served as a reminder to be kind to others and try to not boil over and lose your reason.  The China Doll contained within the playing sequence of the show was bone chilling.  What a moving song and powerful rendition by the Dark Star Orchestra.  Jeff just shreds the solos during songs like these and on most nights, you enter that special place where it just you, the song, and the dance.  It’s like being in a trance where everything is wonderful and amazing at the same time sad and full of sorrow.  It’s like an overflow of emotions at once.  Sometimes your left crying and other times smiling so bright.  This is why I go see the Dark Star Orchestra.  Not all dead bands can pull this off for me.  The rest of the show was full of fun danceable numbers as we finished playing and took a stab on good lovin.  Casey Jones may have been a good reminder for those about to stray from the light to behave themselves or to the contrary, as the song goes, “trouble ahead.”

This show is what I would call a total Bobby show.  Don’t get me wrong; there were some great Jerry moments, particularly Loser and China Doll.  Nonetheless, the high octane Bobby rock-n-roll numbers dominated it.  I wouldn’t call this my favorite style of show, but on a cold night it kept the feet moving and the body warm. 

As per usual for a night at the Jubilee, Camp Inappropriate would keep the music playing and the laughter going until the sun comes up.  Don’t get me wrong, when your ready to sleep, you sleep, but when your really ready to sleep, noise matters little.  I love our little party on the hill.  It grew in numbers from last year and had some late night guests that came for the fire, the music, or the laughter.  We told stupid stories all night long and nothing ever got too serious (outside of a blow up here and there).  I’ve come to except that when the blood really gets boiling and the party is at full swing sometimes people can get temperamental.  No excuse, but facts are facts.  I should give a special thanks to the festival for not complaining about our use of their generators and the wonderful DSO merch girl, Wienke (we eagerly await your CO arrival) for providing an extension cord and the sound guy, Bryan, too for helping us keep the music going all night long.  We did have some technical difficulties, but we also did provide a lot of late night Dead for all around to hear. 

Like I said previously, my reviews will focus primarily on the Dark Star Orchestra sets, but I must note that a lot of quality music was sent our way on Saturday.  A wonderful feature of this festival is the camping inside the bowl option.  It allows you to hear the music from your campsite.  Thus, when one doesn’t necessarily feel like being stage side, one can still enjoy the tunes being played.  Dino’s side project, New Orleans Suspect’s and Yonder all provided quality sets for those in attendance to enjoy.  I want to say a special word about Matt Reynolds set.

Matt Reynolds works tirelessly to keep this engine running smooth for all of us.  I am sure many of you around here have met him or seen him during your time going to shows.   At Mighty High last year, I went to his set because I thought I should show some love to somebody who does so much to make what I love happen.  I was not entirely impressed with the music played, but I was glad to be there.  This time I was very impressed.  A few of the songs, names I do not know, touched me so deeply I shed tears.  Its not easy for me to be moved to tears, especially front and center in broad daylight.  I think an amazing thing about music and its live performance is its tremendous ability to make one feel.  Songs I was completely unfamiliar with touched me so deeply.  I can still remember some of the words after one listen.  Thank you Matt.  I needed that.

Dark Star Orchestra was playing the last set of the night on Saturday.  That left a lot of time for anticipation to build and for everyone to get finely tuned up.  The rug and chair system worked best tonight.  We were a little off to the side and far enough away from the stage that it was mostly our core group occupying the space on the rugs and around the rugs.  I don’t want to be an asshole, but I really don’t appreciate it when those who know no one associated with the rug stop to sit, stand, or even sway on the rug.  If you’re going to join this dance party, then fucking dance like it matters and start off the rug and meet some of us first.  I’m sorry for coming off like a dick here, but when one of us has to bear the rocks so a stranger can occupy space on the rug I feel completely disrespected.  Our group is already too big for the space we covered with the rugs.  I almost went on this rant on whether it was okay to tell talkers to shut up thread.  It is okay for me to tell these strangers to kick rocks and hit the dusty trail?  I rarely do.

Night 2 Elective

Set 1

Help>

Slip>

Stranger>

Franklin’s

Lazy Lightning>

Supplication

Loose Lucy

Black Throated Wind

Mississippi Half Step

Music

I had so much fun at this show.  It was definitely the night my energy was best and I would do my most dancing.  If I listened to all the shows again, I would probably say Sunday’s show was the strongest, but if I must make my judgment off my experience, Saturday night was the most fun and carefree I would get all weekend.  Who doesn’t love a Help opener?  When I first got into the Dead, I definitely preferred Franklin’s Tower to the start of the sequence, but now, such a high percentage of the lines found in Help speak so deeply to me I prefer the start of the sequence.  “Without love in the dream it will never come true.” Tonight they would state the elective by adding Stranger to the middle of the normal Help> Slip> Franklin’s.  This is always great for me.  I find the whole sequence to be a dancer’s delight.  Tonight the songs seemed to be played with as much fire and emotion as everyone around could muster.  We were having a major dance party here.  A large group of us chose to occupy space on or around the rug area and the love was flowing through us.  Lazy Lightning > Supplication kept us dancing, while Loose Lucy provided a great outlet to playfully prance around.  The show takes a somber turn as Eaton delivers one of my favorite Bobby tunes, Black Throated Wind.  Like many of the sorrowful songs of the GD, this song touches me very deeply and several of its lines resonate with me.  After we discovered those around had the mark just as plain as day, we danced the night away to Music.  All in all, a very solid first set with lots of energy and pretty high octane throughout.  As would be ritual at the Jubilee, we returned to the top of the hill to get tuned up for the 2nd set, another great plus of camping so close to where the music was being played.

Set 2

Box of Rain

Scarlett>

Fire

China>

Rider

Unbroken Chain >

Drums>

Space>

Not Fade Away>

Attics>

Unbroken Chain>

Sugar Magnolia

Encore

Midnight Moonlight

I managed to keep the emotions at bay through the Box of Rain and enjoy the smiles of friends, but that would not be the case throughout the set.  Like I’ve said before, Fire on the Mountain has always seemed like a rallying cry of trouble and wrongdoing.  After the playful prace and dance of Scarlett, I found myself in very serious state with thoughts of where we are as a people as a world community today.  I cried. 

I found myself, thinking about King’s speech, and how today that I still have a dream that one-day Jews, Muslims, Christians, and gentiles can share bread at the same table.  I have a dream that one-day tolerance and acceptance will be the rule and people will stop trying to force their views down each other’s backs.  Still, there is a fire, but I continue to dream that one day we will honor our religious and moral leaders and role models and live their words and their dreams and not celebrate their lives in the emptiest of manners.  When you celebrate their life, but completely ignore their message, you fail their dream.  The fire continues to burn.  I know that as the fire of hate and injustice grows and continues to rear its ugly face through ignorance another opposing fire burns.  The dreams of peace and love cannot be killed.  The fire cannot be put out.  As the evil of war for profit becomes exposed and the folly of greed known, I dream that love will rebuild the fire.  The fire will no longer be a rallying cry but a celebration, a celebration of our dreams, our futures, and our love.  Until then, the fire burns.

Okay.  Sorry back to regularly scheduled program.  Chinacat serves as a nice reprieve from the floodgates of emotions and less spinning, more dancing begin to take place.  Tonight the Rider segment would hit home pretty hard as I had just spent the most time away from Jen since we started living together.  It was only around 10 days but it seemed like an eternity.  “I know you rider gonna miss me when I’m gone.”  I really like the juxtaposition of the playful then serious songs of Scarlett – Fire and China – Rider.  Unbroken chain is started with tremendous power and emotion and then we enter the drums > space segment of the show.  I must note that the tremendously talented Christina Wienke, DSO’s very own merchandise girl, added boson to space.  The Attics is bone chilling and it felt good to get to share that moment with my baby in my arms. Dark Star knows our love will not fade away as they close the show with Sugar Mags and encore with Midnight Moonlight.  The moon was full tonight and very big and present in the Ohio sky.  Always a good sign things our going to get a little squirrely by the end of the night or the early morning.  All depends on how you look at it.  This was the best dance show for me of the festival, although tomorrow night would be overflowing with power.

Tonight the after party on the hill would be ripe with technical difficulties and we would have to spend many hours with our own thoughts and conversation as no music could be played.  Thankfully, we would work this out by the next night, but thoughts and conversation can be good for the soul as well.  I am so happy to get to spend time strengthening my friendships with many good souls from the Columbus area and bringing a few of my friends into the fold as well.  I think this may be the best part of the Dark Star festivals I’ve attended.  Don’t get it twisted; I’m here for the shows and the music, but the lifelong friends you make along the way are invaluable and really help you understand and internalize the love and light shared through this music within our community.  I want to thank Michelle, Danny, and the rest of the crew at the Disco Pizza for their help and love this weekend.  Hopefully, we get a chance to really catch up soon as my attention and demands on it we’re too widespread for me to feel I truly caught up with anyone.  Love to you guys.

There is really no need to describe the scene or the party by day 3.  If you’re a festivalgoer, you understand the struggle to find energy and to keep the love light shining by day 3.  If we’re honest, the parties are starting to tire and rest seems to be the light at the end of the tunnel.  Unfortunately, the light staring back at me was a 25 hours UHUAL ride from Columbus, OH to Evergreen, CO.   Needless to say, I didn’t spend too much time down at the music today, although I did make it out for the JGB set and of course, I pulled it together for DSO, which might I say was true psychedelic mind fuck, especially considering my mental condition.

Night 3 Elective

Set 1

Saint Stephen>

The Eleven>

Cryptical Envelopment>

The Other One>

Cryptical>

Alligator>

Good Down the Road

Holy shit fuck.  The only regret I have is not having more energy to give during this incredible set of music.  A new friend of mine from Buffalo had been saying he hoped to hear the Eleven live for the first time.  I know several on the boards had clamored for 69 offering at the Jubilee.  I didn’t think it was in the cards and in reality, it wasn’t, but damn did it not feel like we we’re transported back to an acid test.  All of these songs speak so strongly to me, but its hard to express the feelings and I mostly just have song lyrics and images in my head.  “All is lost, he shall regain.” The band goes right into the Eleven.  “This is the season of what now?”  After we regain, where do we go from there.  Cryptical is such a powerful short segment of music.  “His mother could but frown on him,” and transitions into such a great piece of music, The Other One.  “I got arrested for smiling on a cloudy day.”  Fuck your rules and your way of life. The bus is coming by and I’m getting on.  For better or for worse, I’ve got to keep my own conscience clean, but mother is still frowning.  Alligator celebrates the release back into freedom, but also sends us down the road feeling bad, as we know we can’t come back around here no more.  I know the early stuff isn’t everyone’s cup of tea, but I would be taken a back if this set of music didn’t speak in tomes to all in attendance.  I know my mind was blown.  Kevin was really present with the bass throughout the first set and would continue to be throughout the night.  Although saddened I could not attend the last gigs, Sunday night at the Jubilee was certainly a tremendous show for my farewell to Kevin.  Fare thee well...

Set 2

Good Morning Little School Girl

Dancing in the Streets

Doin that Rag

Sitting on Top of the World

Dark Star>

Drums>

Space>

Jam>

Death Don’t>

Lovelight

Encore

Greatest Story Ever Told

We Bid you Goodnight

The set starts off with Baracco at the helm as he guides us through a Pigpen styled schoolgirl that just gets the hormones flowing.  I probably shouldn’t share just how beautiful I find 17 to 18 year old schoolgirls, so young, supple, and innocent.  If the schoolgirl wasn’t enough to get you moving, maybe the decree of dancing would.  I really feel this set kept those with energy dancing, but I had to sit through most of the set.  The Dark Star and Death Don’t we’re both things of magnificent power and beauty.  Those songs are so hauntingly emotional and touching.  Lovelight serves to bring light back to into the darkness of death don’t and as I’m reminded of the light surrounding me, I return to finish the night dancing.  Thank you so much Dark Star.  I bid you all a goodnight.

This show was something else.  The raw psychedelic nature of songs and styles played coupled with the complete mental disarray achieved by day 3 really put myself in a very scattered headspace.  I certainly needed sleep and recovery.  I wouldn’t stay up too late tonight, although I did make it through a couple rounds of the whiskey bottle before calling it quits and leaving the party and the laughter by the fire.  It’s always sad to see it go.  Such great friends and great people make it so I never want to leave, but it was time to go home.  Back to Evergreen and some degree of normalcy.  Thanks for reading and sharing this experience with me.  So many on here our invaluable members of my inner circle of dead family and even more of you are friends and becoming members of that inner circle.  The love and the light I have to share with the world continues to grow as a product of the love and light shared by you guys with me.  I am forever grateful.  For all of this love, I better be grateful when I’m dead. 

Love is Real.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Forum MVP

rug tug...who was that friend huggin your rug? Love you buddy. Thanks for the rug hug.

You know some jerk off with a bad back. Love ya buddy. Get in your car and go to Springfield. I share ride back w ya.

• 3 weeks later...

So I took my jubilee wristbands from 2012,2013 and sewed them on my backpack...didn't turn out like I planed but hey I'll take it...if you see me at Springfield say hi...I'd post a pic but not sure how since all my posts are from my phone

Springfield is a big event. I doubt I will be able to spot you easily but I will keep an eye out for backpack w two jubilee wrist bands sewed on.

Sounds great ...I'd love to meet some of the forum folks....I'll also have a black dancing bear hat on..I know I know not much help but I know I'll be the only one with this hat. see you there. I try to stay center stage probably half way between the dancers and the sitters

• 3 weeks later...

Archived