Statebridge night 2

Tea

• Forum MVP

4.7.1988 > The Centrum Worcester, MA

One

Touch Of Gray ; Feel Like A Stranger > Franklin's Tower ; New Minglewood Blues ; Row Jimmy ; Memphis Blues ; Big Railroad Blues ; Around and Around

Two:

Sugar Magnolia > Scarlet Begonias > Estimated Prophet > Eyes Of The World > Drums > Space > The Wheel > Gimme Some Lovin' > All Along The Watchtower > Black Peter > Sunshine Daydream

Encore: Box Of Rain

Filler: Ripple
Notes: Jim Allard on bass and vocals

So, last nite at State Bridge. I'm standing with my usual suspects, Kathye, Ed, Libby, Stuart, Frank, and Marly. I say to Ed, "there isn't anyone on stage that was onstage the first time we heard Dark Star back in '99 ( '88 show, so no Lisa until the end). "

Dare I say this: This is the BEST version of the incredible Dark Star Orchestra!!! Is there really a "best"? I've seen all the incarnations, always love seeing this band when I can. Do I miss the old band, yes I do, the formative years, like misssing the Keith and Donna years because that's where I got on the bus with the Dead. Came on the DSO bus when Scott, the 2 Mike's, JK, LISA, and the drummers, Ahmet and? blew our collective minds before the turn of the century! There is an italian saying that my wife Kathye and I live by:  "Sempre Avanti" which means ALWAYS FORWARD. It's obvious to me that the Dark Star Orchestra continues to move forward, just like the GD. The proverbial towel could have been thrown in a long time ago but you guys and girl have created this entity that never looks back, always forward. And with the newest addition of Jim Lesh........oops, I mean Allard, who we've seen quite a few times with his other bands over the years in Colorado, it's "just about exactly perfect" . For those of you who will be hearing Jim for the first time you are in for a treat, and he's a great guy, we got to talk to him at the Dillon RMGDR show. To all of Dark Star Orchestra, past and present,  " THANK YOU..............FOR A REAL GOOD TIME!" JC

• Forum MVP

Amen. The train keeps rolling. Last night goes down as one of my favorites, had as much fun dancing as ever. The second set was pure, sustained ecstasy. Sugar mag>scarlet>estimated>eyes are you kidding me?? Bliss. Crowd was way smaller last night which was great, those that were there were into the music. This show takes the cake for the weekend, though the 72 show was absolutely brilliant in its own right. I had an amazing weekend, huge thanks to he band and crew and all my friends(and all the smiling strangers)....I'll be back to do it again.

• Forum MVP

I thought all the shows were strong with this one being the strongest but I wouldn't put any of those shows in my top ten. The music just keeps rolling along with DSO at the helm. Just topnotch professionals. I may offer some more insight at the end of tour. I'm not ready to call this the best incarnation of dso (love you Kevin) but I certainly felt the band didn't miss a beat and they delivered 3 outstanding shows.

I shouldn't be so bold to say this is the best, because there really isn't a best, it all depends on each individuals perspective. It certainly wasn't the "best" show, I've seen too many to have a best, and a short memory to remember anyway. But, as Mason says above: The music just keeps rolling along with DSO at the helm. Just topnotch professionals. Agreed!

I loved the state bridge shows, especially the first night.  although I never get on dso forums anymore, I have seen the band often, since 1999,  and the addition of Jim Allard is a perfect fit.  Dark Star Orchestra is sounding better than ever, and I felt so strongly about how excited I am to see Jim with this band right now, I rejoined the forums just to publicly say how pleased I was of Jims performances at  these two shows. 

• Forum MVP

I am grateful I got on the bus when I did.  Saw the last phase slip away and it has become THIS and I am sooooo grateful and awed by it.  

Gabriel had trouble getting into this show (3rd night, 80s, daylight outside, etc) and the vibe def rubbed on me.  Dancing with our big group (we finally had room for a whole show together up front, its been a while!) can be REALLY OVERWHELMING if you are not used to it, and we didn't really treat him as the virginal virgo he is, instead we just left him to keep up and by prophet he had a seat so as not to stand in our way as we danced.  he hasn't listened to as much 80s or seen as much DSO, so I was happy he just had a seat to take it all in.  this band can really do a number on ya cause they are so damn in your melted face.  

I loved it cause of the space to dance with family, and Gabe was not the only one saying it was NOT one of the best shows, in fact down there in the bottom list of DSO show, was for me and our traveling companion as well, and I just love how we all take such vastly diff impressions and vibes from each show! goes to show, you don't ever know!  but i'm not being a hater, to say it is down there in the dso shows seen still puts it way above almost every other of the 200 plus non-dead shows I have seen and WAAAY above a bad furthur crawl show (aka, I didn't walk out, only sat) but HEY, onto the GREAT STUFF:

touch stranger franks (hey, kinda like those dudes from the night before, hahaha) was super perfect to open on a hot day by the river.  got us all dancing and happy and cozy.  super fun first set.  I actually really enjoyed the first set here and the first set at the mish more than their respective second sets, just bc of how they were played/sounded, not esp bc of setlist.  funny to have a first set loving memories like that for the weekend. cool.

ok, ok, sugar scarlet prophet eyes! my goodness! I know I was just saying how i liked the first sets so much, and to READ the second sets makes me wanna argue with myself, cause that was hella great music!!!! danced right through these, so grateful to have us all together for one more saturday night (oops, that was last night, lol) and the wheel, oh sweet wheel running us around back to where we belong.  which by gimme some lovin was sitting with Gabe cause he's my love and needed some and with some encouragement he was able to get back up after black peter and end the show on his feet dancing with me.  I love when you just gotta sit and take it in cause it's all on overload.  good times.  

box ripple for the closeout and you guys, THANK YOU SO MUCH, that was such a good weekend! and Gabe just opened his eyes from dreaming about hanging with Rob B in boulder with all his friends.... hahaha.... had to throw that in cause it's funny he just turned and said he dreamed that as I was writing these posts.  all a dream we dreamed one afternoon............ going home.

love love love see you guys in the fall........ and FOR THE RECORD, THIS UNICORN DOES NOT BITE, SHE KISSES AND AT THE MOST NIBBLES. how's that for a public service?

• Forum MVP

everything was perfect....I can understand not having the energy needed bc of the night before....but I'd say they slayed it. 100%.

It gets a little intense at times but the wheel is turning, you can't slow down. or let go. or hold on. or go back. or stand still. so I spin.

• Forum MVP

did I mention I cried during Eyes?  I did.  it was weird.  not crying at a show, I do that plenty, but during EYES! THAT was intense! lil girl walked by me all beautiful and innocent and I just started tearing up and letting em fall.

and Gabriel had a good cry during Ripple.... ya never know when it's gonna getcha! hehe

did I mention I cried during Eyes?  I did.  it was weird.  not crying at a show, I do that plenty, but during EYES! THAT was intense! lil girl walked by me all beautiful and innocent and I just started tearing up and letting em fall.

and Gabriel had a good cry during Ripple.... ya never know when it's gonna getcha! hehe

no you didn't mention it

Archived