Manhattan Center 4/5/71- Fillmore Charlotte 2/20/16

PoetryGirl

• Forum MVP

Set 1

Good cowboy set. I traded in my boots for some cork insole loafers that still slide but have a great metatarsal cushion. Broke them in for an hour and half and danced away in them 4 the next day. Naot is the bomb

Cold Rain And Snow a nice way to start off - nice and easy

Me And Bobby McGee- such a beautiful song really. I wonder what it was like to see Janis Joplin. I'd see her over Airplane.

The Rub- nice harp, I had heard great things

Loser- this song as well as Playing and Bertha and Wharf Rat and Deal had just made their debut right as it went to the original 5 only 2 months earlier.

Hard to sympathize with this guy. Just a little bit more, he cons his love.

Playing In The Band lovely and contained

Big Railroad Blues

Me And My Uncle - I love this song.

Big Boss Man -nice fat sound. We saw a boss man plaque at Paper Skyscraper that said " I'd be nicer if you were smarter" before dinner

China Cat Sunflower ->the highlight !!

I Know You Rider glory bound

Casey Jones

Fun charging train. Made it through the crowd on the way for water and bathroom break without sacrificing the show while enjoying the singing happy people- everybody was singing. I co tinted my rocking and a rolling.

The flood of people outside was epic. It was fun to see the passerbyes as I waited to begin my swim upstream. Another lady was waiting in the cue and her husband said go! And we both began in that small break in the wave. Cooled offf near entrance under the AC finally on.

Set 2

Truckin' ->

Drums ->

The Other One ->

Wharf Rat

Sugar Magnolia

I'm A King Bee

Bertha

Deal

Sing Me Back Home

Not Fade Away ->

Goin' Down The Road Feeling Bad ->

Jam ->

Turn On Your LovelighT

Clocked 9,67 miles

Then they played Ripple. The show made for the best double hamburger later.

• Forum MVP

I was so glad for the break after Trucking when it didn't lead into Smokestack lightning for some refreshment at one of the three bars on hand close to the dance floor. I made up a new mixed drink for a nice refreshment with Malibu rum, Tennessee honey liquor, grenadine, water splash and lime. It really quenched our thirst for $12. More than a mega beer. I'll call it the Jen's sweet Tart. And boy would we need it. They really took no prisoners. Our crowd carved up that slice of heaven in celebration of dance and it was better when I got out of my own way although I want to practice and make sure I know the story so I can find the bliss. Doesnt that sound like an A student ? Erg.

It was much more fun to feel the freedom and my dear friends and love ones , who get it, that have touched that satori was a joyful sea to swim in and blessed my soul. So happy.

• Forum MVP

This was a super nice closer to my little run from Athens. My fav era and some killer numbers that don't get overplayed. Think it was my first Rub. I think the sound in the Fillmore is not loud enough. There are pockets where it's heavily muffled. Limiting us to the lower tier (for sound) moved our dance party to the outer edge where there was some traffic. Thank goodness the crowd had thinned by the time they played gdtrfb, cause it got rowdy for that one. It was a grate week in the company of some really great folks from around here. I hope they know how special they make these times for me. Love you guys.

• Forum MVP

A great run!!!! A wonderful run of music, friends, and future stories!!!

Who could not be happy to hear this GD show? Set list awesome!!! Never heard a King Bee live!! That was pretty cool. The honey poured, and the hips sure did follow.

The wood floor at this venue was a great break from harder surfaces. However, words above true, the sound is easily muffled at this venue. For those of us who like to dance, we do our best, and found the sweetest spot we could. "Carving", I think we all did that very well, and I really want to say.....again.....I love watching you all dance!!!

When I am tired, and I get very tired, I feed off the energy you all produce and posture. I have watched, witnessed, and been part of the comfortable development it takes to let it all out. Watching my friends be free......freedom is another word for nothing left to lose!!!! What is there to lose on the dance floor?

Special big thanks to gr8fulpair for helping make this run easy wind!!! I really tried to get him to adopt me into his family, but I am definetly a person only a mother can love;}!!!! I think he considered it, but the wife did not think it as cool of an idea as I did!!! Love you brother, you have a beautiful family!!! Thanks for the southern hospitality, and welcoming us dirty dancing heads into your world!!! Your a class act brother!!!!

The fare the wells are much tougher than the encore of the last show!!!! Love all you guys and gals!!! Would not be the same with out others rearranging the dance floor, or the post show milk drinking that's not really milk!!!! The sensual beauty of poetry in motion!!! The post show conversations, the laughter of laughing at ourselves and each other. To feel safe in such different places is not because I am so self confident, but because I have the confidence of others I respect!!!

In between all of that, I got awesome music to boot!!!! A big thanks to DSO for all they do!!!!!!

See yall at Jubilee!!!!

Another huge thanks to Slowmo for the ride to Richmond from South Carolina!!!! Missed the 7am train!!! Either stay up all night, or plan on missing your ride!!! Thanks buddy!!!!!

• Forum MVP

Dead.net says this show is "Dance Marathon". Also NRPS. Admission $5. AND ..... Last Hog For You Baby??

4/6/71 the next night.

Deal!! I'll take it. I figured I needed to represent ky in Louisville. and what's a 3.5 hour drive after a show. MC would call that drive, child's play.

• Forum MVP

Dead.net says this show is "Dance Marathon". Also NRPS. Admission $5. AND ..... Last Hog For You Baby??

4/6/71 the next night.
Deal!! I'll take it. I figured I needed to represent ky in Louisville. and what's a 3.5 hour drive after a show. MC would call that drive, child's play.

Meile said she would drive, didn't she ?

• Forum MVP

I drove and was golden. Had that June 74 Louisville dead show to listen to on the way home. Couldn't find that whole show forever b/c got removed from archive as they made it 1 CD commercial. That's always annoying. Etree resolved that.

• Forum MVP

As this got started it was clear that it would be in contrast to the previous 2 shows.  Those were in-your-face meltdowns and this one was decidedly termed "Psychedelic Cowboy Slow Boil"  Highlights from the 1st set were The Rub, BIODTL, and the China>Rider!  There was just a certain raunchiness that permeated that was indeed pleasin!  Last year we got Pembroke and I started to let my preconceived notions of how different this one would go seep into my expression.

The Truckin > Drums > Other One was razor-sharp.  It was another gear from the 1st set and I decided that no matter what came next I would wring out everything I could from it.  I had all the space I wanted towards the back but the sound was a little more muddy than I was hoping for.  I was done sacrificing sound and decided to find the tribe up closer to the action.  Wharf Rat was short but sweet as was the Sugar Mags and then came one of the highlights of the 2nd set – King Bee.  A RaunchFest it was!  Rob layed it down dirty and Lisa played right along.  A spirited Bertha was tempered by a more deliberate Deal if there is such a thing. 

The Sing Me Back Home was absolutely sublime!  Crystal clear vocals….sweet harmonies….that one tugged at the heart-strings pretty liberally.  Probably my favorite offering of the night – just flat-out nailed it.

The NFA > GDTRFB  was a freaking run-away freight train!  The slow-boil moniker was simply blown to smithereens - a wicked pace but expertly navigated by the band.  I’m at a loss for words from here other than to say that energy reached a spellbinding confluence.  Jumping, spinning, flailing, running, skipping, falling…… all the way into a down-n-dirty Lovelight.  It roared around just the way I like it followed by a sweet rap by Rob while the band followed close behind to augment the funkadelic vibe.  Those BOX-BACK ‘NITTIES flipped the switch just like they usually do.  Blown Up.  The Ripple was a great way to smooth us all out, put smiles on our faces, and top off the cups.  Mine was overflowing.  Such great music and really wonderful people to share it with.

DSO is simply unconscious right now.

It will be a long stretch before I get my next spin as Jubilee is not in cards for me this year.  While that’s tough to take as Jube is always the highlight of my year for music, my son will never turn 7 again – so this year I think I’d like to be there when he does.

• Forum MVP

I was able to dance hard for about 2 minutes then 30 sec breather and back to dancing then a breather as I hit the midway point of that gdtrfb. By lovelight I was a pile of goo. After the 20 minute drive back I could barely walk. Muscles now recovered and ready to do it all again. I don't remember ever getting winded like that in my 20s. Then again I still played basketball daily in those days and now I watch basketball daily. You would think those 2 things would be equal cardio workouts but guess not.

Had such a great time and laughed until I cried several times on the trip with just the best people. Looking at my iPhone mileage during and pre trip, Chris made some sloth comment that made me fall out of the chair. I tried to tell him that it had snowed fur the last 8 days where I live to justify 8 straight sub 1/2 mile days, but he wasn't having it. Unfortunately at Jubilee we will be missing a key element and my partner and crime. It definitely won't be the same without u buddy but weve got a great group and it just keeps growing. Adding an old friend who I've seen prob 2x in the last 20 years to the crew this year. Just a super cool guy who saw the dead a bunch but is a DSO virgin.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Forum MVP

A friend of mine is a sound engineer. He detests the Fillmore for its poor sound so I was curious if he would like Amos' Southend instead as they have the same capacity. They reported there was not a bad sound spot anywhere they tried. FYI :)

• 1 month later...

Archived