Dark Star Jubilee Wrap-Up

Evangeline

• Forum MVP

Well, I fully admit I am a lousy reviewer. It is hard to continuously express hyperbole without using all the same words constantly. But I just wanted to say that this year's Dark Star Jubilee proved to be the perfect festival weekend in every way. The atmosphere at Legend Valley was incredibly mellow, kind, and beautiful. Everyone had a smile on their face. Walking around was a treat and not a challenge. Kids were everywhere and manifested the spirit of the festival in their joy. The beautiful Amazing Giants added sparkle and delight to the festivities.

The bands were just fantastic. Without describing them all (remember, I am a crummy reviewer with a bad members taboot) let me just say that I had a complete blast and was there for almost every set played! What a great pleasure. Highlights for me included the JGB set with DSO backing up the legendary Melvin Seals, DSO night 2 where Jack and Jorma joined DSO for White Rabbit to begin their set, DSO night 3 where they played the Creamery Benefit show, Electric Hot Tuna, which completely blew my mind!!!, Steve Kimock and Friends set with his uber talented band, Matt Reynold's set on Saturday, and Jeff Mattson's original set on Sunday.

Much, much more. Rug Dancers, late night jams, beautiful lights on trees, stars in the sky, one drone observing the stage at very close proximity at times, munching on Disco Pizza into the night. I recently learned the word for intense emotional experience that is so wonderful it brings goosebumps. It is called frisson (wikipedia: Frisson (French for 'shiver') is a sensation somewhat like shivering, usually caused by stimuli. It is typically expressed as an overwhelming emotional response combined with piloerection (goosebumps). Stimuli that produce a response are specific to the individual.) This year's Dark Star Jubilee was replete with many, many moments of frisson.

Huge thanks to the wonderful and kind attendees, all the amazing festival family of workers, all the bands and crews, and of course, DSO members, crew, and management. I m a very fortunate person to have been there and I am already counting the days until next year!

• Forum MVP

I was happy to catch up with Randi. I don't think you met her Huck. I'm not sure I had the pleasure to formally meet Lager although we shared the same space. Or maybe I did??! Who the heck knows, it was all a dream we dreamed.

• Forum MVP

..... it was all a dream we dreamed.

Thank you for clarifying that’s it’s just our dream works .....

I have the hardest time keeping people, faces, and names straight in my head.  The other day I was looking all over for a person and finally just sat down among friends at a camp site.  I looked at this lady next to me and said, “I’m sorry I can’t remember who you are?”  ….It actually turned out to be the person I had been searching for.

Peace and Love,

Doc

• Forum MVP

Man o man. What a weekend. Feet killing me, wagon wheels bit the dust again this year. Lol. The heat really took its toll on my activity. I know im probably in the minority but give me the cold of year 2 over heat anyday. Melvin/DSO was a strong way to open, loved the late night grass. Allie Krall is un-be-lievable on that fiddle. Loved the DSO side projects. Kimmock, salmon, and hot freakin tuna. DSO highlights were music jam on fri, scarlet>reuben on sat, and the whole 3 set rager on Sunday. But wow, the white rabbit felt historic. Lisa slayed it, rest of DSO, Jack and Jorma. Met a few more from these parts but i think it was Saturday and i had a bit o' the crazy eyes going on. So who knows if i retained any of that info. Maybe I can make it back to black mountian. I'm on the bench til then at least. Love you guys and gals. The band crew staff all killed it this weekend and i thank you all greatly. Til next time.......

I think many of us myself included had expectations of something special.The second night last year was spectacular, what will they do to try to top that? DSO did what they do best- One afternoon and three nights played to perfection.This year the spirit of love, the community, the laughter, the joy and the decadence overshadowed the music that was being played.The quality of the music was in no way lacking. I travel through the adventures of my life confident that if spiritually centered I will receive just what I need this was proven true at the Jubilee this year. Night 3 just before the third set started I decided to go back to the RVs get a dry cigar light it up and relax to the opening Dark Star I drifted off into reflection of the community that has grown so tight here.I reflected on my life in a very peaceful accepting way. I drifted off into a meditative state briefly and came out of it at the end of Sing Me Back Home. Beautifully Perfect!!!

• Forum MVP

I was happy to catch up with Randi. I don't think you met her Huck. I'm not sure I had the pleasure to formally meet Lager although we shared the same space. Or maybe I did??! Who the heck knows, it was all a dream we dreamed.

We are all in the same space, August!!  ;)  :dsorocks:

• Forum MVP

What a magical time! Mahalo nui loa.

The dreams floated on the air like cottonwood blooms and softly reminded me of the love we bring as the serendipity of moment greeted me time and time again. I heard my love song on the air as it sprang  and shared it with people I love, old and new.

A busy time preceded with celebration of a school year’s work  for kids, like the final climax before a denouement. The past 2 years weight had worn in- the growth, the trials, the tears. Tired to the bone.  Loved ones suffering and wanting to take it away. Their suffering blessed me as I walked with them. New awareness displaced old haints and scary  places. I had insight to lift the road to their feet, easing the journey. We grew our family- ohana-,  while a blood family member took my heart and crushed it in typically selfish ways of an addict.  My sanctuary is my hula sisters’ ohana, the halau.  My dance lineage touches the old ways of the people, hidden until the recent decades.  I have danced to Pele for change and told her story of love at first sight, thanked the Spirit for our blessings and signs. Celebrated the gift of life in the lehua blossom and the melia. I can share the story of everlasting  true love in the dance of naupaka- that man could not diminish. And the promise of easy days of laughter and jubilant dance beckoned like cool waters. It is aloha. One of the oldest ways to say love and what it is: honesty, humility, standing in your power, balance and harmony, kindness, expressed in tenderness. 

We readied our van and Gertie joined the party, purring like a kitten over the hills and past the dale, appreciating the love we gave her.. I decorated her. “Are you Kind?” and “Just Say Om” for the rat race behind me. The wolf sticker for my and my kumu’s totem- and Jed when the wolf dwelt with me as friend. . Let it Grow peace sticker. and the MNS sun went down in honey. I had the Love is Real tie dye but didn’t place it. An ohana sticker I held onto too. Not yet. 

Of my first Grateful Dead family, I was the baby sister. When this Wren’s Zephyr became still, the wind beneath her wings lett and I was Birdsong. My mind could not sooth the irrational feelings. I had to mend my heart; I had to find its song again and search. The GD family faded from my life. I was wandering in another dream and portion of self. . 

We pull in after a fantastic trip up to the Buckeye Lake KOA. We parked and there was the godfather of my old GD family.- we had been assigned a spot right beside him!  We supped together and drank barley wine. It was good medicine for all. 

The music mingle with the heart songs shared from the day. The JGB set divine. The perfect appetizer. Nice first night-  Soaring, weaving bright MNS with thumping rumbling of bass pointing the way upward and then the funky groove feeling. Rhythm as lead. and all searching for that high point that feeling. . but oh-----The Morning Dew !!!!! Oh the wauwn, waauwn 11:45 min in of rhythm sound intermingled in the lead in the last few bars before the song ends are memorizing. Unlike anything I have heard and spot on. The single most memorable musical moment for me. I will listen to this Dew again and again. Love is real once again into the Morning Dew. IT was phenomenal !!! Freedom that rolls away the dew and the melody of heart sings us into that happiest of places- where there is just you and me and the moment at hand. This is where the bell rings. beautiful harmonies….. 

I felt old archetypes at play and knew the songs of old were made new again for us as one of lore retold in the story of our condition. The story like myth whispered. I saw animal totems expressed and shamanic medicine moved around us. Hearts were open. We entered the rabbit hole with Alice and dreamed together, My friend told me his name  in tongue revealed at age 8 and we spoke of how a true heart beats. That we forge a truer self together, each a blade honing the other to a truer resonance and vibration. People’s hearts call. Wow! What serendipity !!! ----Ruben and Cerise.

We choose what we put into the sacred space, what is shared. An exercise in discernment. Like Deal.Sometimes it is right on time, other times not so suave. As self mingles with Other, the heart energies make a recipe. In any relationship, when a space suffers, new areas of energy can be cleared to enlarge the heart space and the relationship can expand. Perhaps it was those areas that blocked growth in the first place and needed to be peeled back. We refine our energy and concept with and against each other. It isn;t always a beautiful creation and that is where forgiveness begins. Loyalty to what is true in Other helps endeavor the storm of wind(thought) and rain( emotions0 to find the fire (heart) to transfix the earth ( that which is grounded). Sometimes, lack of self awareness or gratitude or cluttered spaces-attachments, expectations- block relationship and clear decisions. Some relationships are like hot fudge and ice cream. They just go together. Ruben mourns the loss of Cerise. He lost her purity of heart for him, for something I believe was ego driven ( not heartfelt). Where does he goes from there? Dust off those rusty strings just one moe time and shine. Because Love is Real, Not Fade Away. 

The second set Veneta is a track from my life. My inner bird took flight and stopped forcing life to happen- a powerful spirit is a force of nature-  and started journeying with faith. “ Can’t close the doors when the walls cave in.” The dark star went deep and I shall go without fear while I can following the path, stepping in faith and trust. The universe whispers through my dreams and signs and I am faithful to its call. The appearance of things I pray do not deceive. Sing me home. From here, my safety, strength and aloha begin. 

I treasured the spilling out of dance and love and laughter. You all are incredible people that put smiles on my face whenever I think of you. 

See you on down the Golden Road.

New stickers on Van… my sasquatch, not fade away, cabin and hobbes, ohana all friendly with the wolf and 4 seasons/ yin yang. 

• Forum MVP

Saturday night,  toward the end of Drumz and Space, we were about five rows back, front center,  I was totally amazed at the amount of acoustic energy coming from the two rows of speakers above us.  It sounded like we were in the mouth of a roaring dragon.  It even instilled actual terror in one of my friends.6e98a395-6480-4895-8baf-785a6e8f4536_560

• Forum MVP

Nice image Doc!!

Actually another Jubilee highlight for me was hearing your account of being at Woodstock when Santana took the stage--I could feel the electricity coming through in your story...I think the dragon pic might fit that time and space, too,eh?

A real pleasure to meet you Doc

• Forum MVP

your account of being at Woodstock when Santana took the stage--I could feel the electricity coming through in your story...I think the dragon pic might fit that time and space, too,eh?...

Santana was more like this photo (must give credit to  Robert Altman, a gifted photographer).  Whenever Santana's "Soul Sacrifice" hits my ears I go day tripping back into that time zone and I'm thrown into wild exorbitant dancing.Rapture.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Archived