Philly night 2 - 9/6

Mojo Hand

So great. Band played fantastic. fOTd, Chiba/rider, shakedown highlights for me. 

Once I got my sound Siituated, lift off was achieved. Kudos to the band for Being able to connect in unusual circumstances. 

Something wrong with Barraco voice?????  Lisa on stage for 80’s show? Skipped far from me in 1st set. Barraco hardly sang a note. 

Love the amount of dancing space. Car speakers and good positioning Allowed me to completely Tune out groups of annoying talkers on both sides of me. Nice option not afforded in traditional spaces. Two groups of young people more interested in selfies and showing that they’re at a concert as opposed to actually being present at a concert. Annoying.  bYO is a great thing! 

so good to dance again and dance I did!

Gorgeous night. Perfect weather. Pretty moon. 

Edited by Mojo Hand
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Forum MVP

Yea, the moon rising flashed me back to JFK Stadium’89 when Jerry was singing Standing on the Moon and sung, ‘right up there on that crescent’, while pointing at it. The Wells Fargo center sits on that spot now. It. Was weird to not see the Spectrum and to have the band set upon what was once Vets Stadium. That area and parking lots are some hallowed ground. I’ve seen 26 of the 53 shows the Grateful Dead played at the Spectrum, ‘87 and ‘89 JFK, Saw The Dead at the Spectrum, Dead and company at Wells Fargo. So many memories all the way back to day one, forty years ago just this past week. So nice to have Dark Star Orchestra play the parking lot there, recycling the energy. So nice and exciting that I ended up overdancing, had too much too fast, forced to sit out the second night. After all these years, I still can’t help myself when I hear the music live. .... I lose my self control. That’s what love is, baby....That’s what love will make you do. 

• Like (+1) 1

Needed that So badly. Sound was low and a little interference between cars but who gives a fuck really. Great to see friends and hear some much needed DSO! Thank you. Loved the first set and second Althea....then the playin ujb NFA the wheel ujb playin was great. Loved it all

• Like (+1) 1
  • Forum MVP
4 hours ago, Greg from Chestertown said:

Yea, the moon rising flashed me back to JFK Stadium’89 when Jerry was singing Standing on the Moon and sung, ‘right up there on that crescent’, while pointing at it. The Wells Fargo center sits on that spot now. It. Was weird to not see the Spectrum and to have the band set upon what was once Vets Stadium. That area and parking lots are some hallowed ground. I’ve seen 26 of the 53 shows the Grateful Dead played at the Spectrum, ‘87 and ‘89 JFK, Saw The Dead at the Spectrum, Dead and company at Wells Fargo. So many memories all the way back to day one, forty years ago just this past week. So nice to have Dark Star Orchestra play the parking lot there, recycling the energy. So nice and exciting that I ended up overdancing, had too much too fast, forced to sit out the second night. After all these years, I still can’t help myself when I hear the music live. .... I lose my self control. That’s what love is, baby....That’s what love will make you do. 

We need to get you on a routine training schedule. Jam band training is essential to successful expression. At least 2 hours dancing hardcore on weekends. 

Couldn’t these drive-in shows set up big PAs? 

I saw a parking lot set up for a brass band setup Couldn’t we have  similar circles or how about bring your own rug? 🤣 but truly - this... on a field/ Thornville, etc

CD54E0D0-C9EC-4B56-B4D7-5150EA7E0C4F.jpeg

Thx.  I guess I missed the announcement. 
I parked as first song started.   

It was so good to dance last night and the social distancing allowed for unending dance space. Gotta find the positive in everything....right?

The cool breezes with music floating through the air.   Just perfect.  

But really....the groups on my right and left  took constant selfies making sure that the screens and stage were in the background.....surely so they could post it on some social media site and show all their friends they are at a concert. Meanwhile, they literally did not listen to a single note.  Complete ridiculousness.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Forum MVP

Sounds like they’re just trying to get by, similar to a show at the cork when Eaton’s voice was shot. They just played around it all night long. Or when Eaton had a family thing and missed shows. We got a handful of Jerry Band shows. It’s all good. I had a blast! My father passed away this spring. Today is his birthday. Saturday was my first show without him. I was able to work out things while dancing. My last visit with him, he said something that had me respond with, ‘There’s nothing you can hold for very long.’ It was so good for me to hear Stella Blue, Eyes, Box of Rain, baby blue just for my Dad's sake. Missing Sunday’s show was not just about being physically beat as it was about being emotionally satisfied. It’s not just about the music. The music is the vehicle. There’s other reasons we go to shows. This latest Dark Star Orchestra show brought me back to where I belong. Thank You, band.

• Forum MVP
On 9/7/2020 at 11:44 AM, PoetryGirl said:

We need to get you on a routine training schedule. Jam band training is essential to successful expression. At least 2 hours dancing hardcore on weekends. 

Couldn’t these drive-in shows set up big PAs? 

I saw a parking lot set up for a brass band setup Couldn’t we have  similar circles or how about bring your own rug? 🤣 but truly - this... on a field/ Thornville, etc

CD54E0D0-C9EC-4B56-B4D7-5150EA7E0C4F.jpeg

by next summer there will be large fields set up where bands can tour with circles like this. There wasn’t time to work this out this year but I’d guess buckeye lake will be having 2-3k person shows next year. That place is massive and they did 90k people shows in the day. 

the key is being able to link shows around the country. Bands have to tour to make money, not fly in for a show here and there. I would love to see Dso do a 1 week stand somewhere but not sure with that many shows in a row that they could pull enough average attendance for a place like buckeye. Plus it would suck to have to drive back to Columbus nightly with the way the state troopers love to harass festival goers there. 

• Like (+1) 3