Basement Dance Party #8

BillK522

• Forum MVP

Friday evening 30 miles from the nation's capital,

the beacon light of the Basement Dance Party

gave hope to all with the eighth chapter of the series.

Despite a somewhat formulaic construction and a bit of a 

bumpy takeoff, BDP8 swept up all in a sea of music, 

emotion and color.  Spanning all keyboard contributors,

the setlist included 11 new BDP plays, with Jerry magic

sprinkled throughout.  Althea>Music a killer closer.

Dark Star journey an absolute Big Man tour de force.

The DeKalb portion energized to the hilt, with possibly the

best Bertha ever to open the set, and the work with Bruce

on the way home inspired.  Spiritually uplifting.

Set One  79/12/03  Uptown Theatre,  Chicago, IL

Alabama Getaway>Promised Land, Brown-Eyed Women, El Paso,

Ramble on Rose, All Over Now, Jack-A-Roe, Lazy Lightning>

Supplication, Althea, Music Never Stopped.

Set Two  69/02/22  Dream Bowl,  Vallejo, CA

Dupree's Diamond Blues>Mountains of the Moon>Dark*Star>

Cryptical>Drums>Other One>Cryptical>Death Don't Have No Mercy.

Set Three  77/10/29  Evans Field House,  NIU,  DeKalb, IL

Bertha>Good Lovin', Friend of the Devil, Estimated Prophet>

Eyes of the World>Space>

91/09/25  Boston Garden,  Boston, MA

Drums>Space>That Would Be Something>Playin' reprise>

China Doll>Throwin' Stones>Not Fade Away.

E:  Mighty Quinn.

Praise DSO.

• Forum MVP

Bill, what gear drives these celebratory gatherings? Geeks get curious about such things...

I'm jealous - I have one neighbor (it only takes one) who can hear my music, or at least feel it, when it's really loud, and we have an arrangement that I keep it in check past midnight.  And 10pm on weeknights. Brutal.

• Forum MVP
4 hours ago, John A said:

Bill, what gear drives these celebratory gatherings? Geeks get curious about such things...

I'm jealous - I have one neighbor (it only takes one) who can hear my music, or at least feel it, when it's really loud, and we have an arrangement that I keep it in check past midnight.  And 10pm on weeknights. Brutal.

Let me tell a tale of ancient technology.

In Early 2002, I bought a large cabinet HDTV, and received a Polk Audio RMDS-1

surround system with the purchase.  I moved in 2007,  I never set it up at the

new house and it sat in a box waiting for 2020.  Hard to believe it still works.

Fills the room with some rope still left on the volume, and no neighborly complaints.

All of my white towels are folded neatly in the closet.

Praise DSO.

• Forum MVP
On 1/18/2021 at 12:16 PM, Greg from Chestertown said:

I love the review, Bill. It makes us feel as though we were there, possible inspired replication at Basements across the countryside. So, how does set list choice happen? I notice a respect to decades. Are rolling dice or thrown darts involved? 

Thanks for your interest.  Find a "set" I really want in the show and build

around that.  Varying the years makes for an interesting listen, have grown to 

love the transition between vintages.  Keep repeats to a minimum and continue

to check songs off the master list.  Fun escape.

Praise DSO.

• Forum MVP

Basement dance night in surround sound!! 

Just googled that Polk system...that's some awesome mileage, not to mention output, you're getting out of those babies.  Nice!

As long as I'm getting personal, any typical libations of choice at the basement parties? 🥂

• Forum MVP
1 hour ago, John A said:

Basement dance night in surround sound!! 

Just googled that Polk system...that's some awesome mileage, not to mention output, you're getting out of those babies.  Nice!

As long as I'm getting personal, any typical libations of choice at the basement parties? 🥂

Rum based drinks have been the norm.

The blender was out this summer.

Praise DSO.

• Forum MVP

If you don’t piss off the neighbors at least once you aren’t doing it right. I’ve been known to rattle neighbors windows and probably kept the neighborhood up las July 4th playing the 85 Berkeley summer run in its entirety until 6am on the outdoor PA’s. Was waiting for the cops to show but they were probably chasing fireworks reported as gunfire all night. 

• Forum MVP
1 hour ago, Vic81 said:

Or bourbon In a empty lotion bottle. Easy to squeeze directly into your mouth. 

you learn quickly my son. Just don’t pull a Charlie from its always sunny and drink actual lotion. We went to Walmart and got these frosted empty plastic lotion bottles so you couldn’t see the liquid color and packed those in the gf’s purse during the shoreline shows and many others. The screeners don’t open bottles in girls purses. It’s not just a money saver, but I only do it because these venues don’t have my preferred whiskey. And yes it saves like $60 per show and that adds up. During jazz fest I walked around with my orange juice bottle that was 50/50 juice and vodka. When you travel like deadheads you can’t be paying $100 in booze for a few cocktails every night. 

but I usually just have her sneak in a few airplane bottles in her bra. That’s just as easy. 

• Forum MVP

Definitely agree if you tour and I no I don’t mean see the 3 shows in your area in two different venues but tour tour. You can’t drink inside the venue or you’ll go a broke. Drink prices in some of these places are insane. You go get a beer and gin and tonic with well tonic at the Warfield and some how you out 35 dollars. 

4 hours ago, Mason's Child said:

Definitely agree if you tour and I no I don’t mean see the 3 shows in your area in two different venues but tour tour. You can’t drink inside the venue or you’ll go a broke. Drink prices in some of these places are insane. You go get a beer and gin and tonic with well tonic at the Warfield and some how you out 35 dollars. 

MC You know I always come prepared with Jameson. It’s a specialty of mine, I take pride in always brining in a full water bottle full with whiskey 

• Forum MVP
2 hours ago, John A said:

I resemble that remark.  :rofl:

but I do remember you bringing in a bottle at the Berkeley shows. They don’t violate our liberties at the UC theatre. And I remember someone who will remain nameless but could be the same person who brought in the bourbon lighting up a bowl as the waitresses came to take drink orders. I was like what are you doing. She’s gonna kick us out. You can’t smoke at inside venues with the lights on. Well evidently it’s ok to light fire in Berkeley at shows as half the people lit up as soon as doors opened. I figure you don’t want any actusl smoke when you have electronics involved but in Berkeley you ain’t got no rules. Sleep where you want. Do what you want. It’s a free for all town. If the storefront overhang I admired wasn’t taken I may have moved in. Making you wake up at 8am to let customers in could be rough at times but the rent is free!!

Archived