Random set list minutiae

John A

• Forum MVP

Mumblings of the pedantic Deadhead:

China->Rider went into drums->space 3 times.... 6-24-80 Grand Rapids, 8-14-81 Seattle (which also featured Baby Blue introduced into the rotation as an encore, played for the first time since February '74), and 6-16-91 Giants Stadium.

How 'bout that? I would have guessed the number of times that happened was zero. 

• Like (+1) 5

• 3 months later...
  • Forum MVP

And back to our random Dead minutiae of the day….

Foolish Heart was played 3 times after space, in consecutive appearances, about 6 months after it debuted. On 12-28-88 it was Miracle > Foolish > Lovelight to close the show. On 2-7-89 it was put between Throwing Stones and Good Lovin'.  And on 2-12-89 it ended the 2nd set after Other One > Stella. 

And with the experiment obviously over, it went back to its pre-drums slot, seasoned in with an occasional 1st set appearance.

• Like (+1) 2

• Forum MVP
6 hours ago, John A said:

And back to our random Dead minutiae of the day….

Foolish Heart was played 3 times after space, in consecutive appearances, about 6 months after it debuted. On 12-28-88 it was Miracle > Foolish > Lovelight to close the show. On 2-7-89 it was put between Throwing Stones and Good Lovin'.  And on 2-12-89 it ended the 2nd set after Other One > Stella. 

And with the experiment obviously over, it went back to its pre-drums slot, seasoned in with an occasional 1st set appearance.

Amazingly, I attended all three.

89 a large touring year.

Praise DSO.

• Like (+1) 2

• Forum MVP

You picked a damn good vintage for a large touring year!  Spring tour was no more than solid, at least in my book, but the February shows, the summer tour, and obviously the fall tour were all gold. 

I saw both Oakland post space Foolish Hearts, but for some reason didn't make it down to LA for those Forum dates. And after seeing what happened with the Dylan appearance on 2-12 I was beating myself up over it. Pretty cool that they essentially let Dylan call the pre-drums sequence, which reads like an extension of the first set and includes the only Monkey and the Engineer since '81 plus an electric version to boot. 

• Like (+1) 1

• Forum MVP
1 hour ago, John A said:

You picked a damn good vintage for a large touring year!  Spring tour was no more than solid, at least in my book, but the February shows, the summer tour, and obviously the fall tour were all gold. 

I saw both Oakland post space Foolish Hearts, but for some reason didn't make it down to LA for those Forum dates. And after seeing what happened with the Dylan appearance on 2-12 I was beating myself up over it. Pretty cool that they essentially let Dylan call the pre-drums sequence, which reads like an extension of the first set and includes the only Monkey and the Engineer since '81 plus an electric version to boot. 

Squeezed in a dozen Jerry

shows as well, it was a 

good year.

Praise DSO.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

• 2 months later...
  • Forum MVP

Scouring deadbase I found an interesting trivia question. 

What song opened a show in 76, 83 and 93 as its only 3 openers ever and closed 1 show ever in 77??

Its always fun popping out the deadbase to see how a song placement starts then ends and how the band experimented with it in both sets until it found a possible resting spot for it in one set or another or not. 

• Like (+1) 3

On 10/8/2022 at 1:21 AM, Rude said:

Scouring deadbase I found an interesting trivia question. 

What song opened a show in 76, 83 and 93 as its only 3 openers ever and closed 1 show ever in 77??

Its always fun popping out the deadbase to see how a song placement starts then ends and how the band experimented with it in both sets until it found a possible resting spot for it in one set or another or not. 

What is it?