All over now

Shakedown 

Drums 

Truckin

Stella

Around and Around

Sunrise

One more sat nite 

Jeff said the Sunrise was supposed to be in the middle of the second set but the original set list didn’t show it. I’m fucking glad we got it tho cause there are few things I love more than Lisa singing that song. Another stellar performance from the best band in the land. The Shakedown alone was worth the price of admission. 

• Like (+1) 7
  • Forum MVP

That looks pretty tasty.

Miss all of you and love each and every one of you. So many memories. So much learning. I know I do like every weekend but I had to miss these. Excited for Jackson hole. Hope to see some of you there. We can bring that old school community feel back. Brian isn't the only one that misses it but it's not gone. It still exist in a big way. It's in each and every one of us. We can choose to express it and live in it. I've always felt privileged and honored to be apart of what is a subset of the GD scene known as the dark star family. It's truly a community. 

love is real

• Like (+1) 3

Much larger crowd Saturday night.  Lots of slower tunes in the first set, it got almost lethargic for a minute there.  It didn't help that two couples right behind us were having a book club discussion during the set until we politely asked them to either hold their conversation elsewhere or STFU.  They moved.

I pegged this for 77/78 during the first set but knew it was Egypt the instant the second set started.  The Hamza percsussion into Fire was suh-weet.  There were some hard transitions in the second set.   

Sunrise was supposed to go between It's All Over Now and Shakedown.  They left the stage after Around and Around (which had both really nice and some flubs in the interaction between Rob and Lisa when they brought it down), and when they came out for the encore Jeff said, "We messed up.  We're going to rectify that right now."  So we got a two song encore.

Cotter and I discussed the Egypt shows a couple of years ago, I was saying if I had a time machine those are the shows I would go back to first.  He disagreed, said the music wasn't all that great and rattled off a half dozen shows he'd go to first.  He was right - without the pyramids as a backdrop this was a totally unremarkable show.  Of course, it was still a Dead show, so that's not a complaint.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Forum MVP

Typical Grateful Dead fashion, just because they hauled all their equipment, etc. to the feet of the Sphinx, played under a full moon, lunar eclipse, doesn’t mean it will be a good show. Hey, they stunk up Woodstock. What turns out to be the best shows can be found in the strangest of places, if you look at it right. 

• Like (+1) 1

Im at a place where I’m less enthused by 1976-1978 setlists, so when I arrived & saw the set up and the Travis bean, I was a little bit let down (while also absolutely loving that Travis Bean tone, FYI). 

I decided to make the most of it, trying to place the show. When I head the Bertha>good lovin, I knew it wasn’t 76.

When the three slow songs happened in the first set, I realized it had to be 1978. Why they ever needed three slow songs back to back, I don’t know, but DSO played them like consummate professionals. 

Eaton won me over with his slide guitar all night, and Barraco was playing really well. At set break I figured out it was 9/16/78, and wondered how the second set would actually go.

it went fantastic! The energy grew and bounced between a great crowd and the band and it is in those moments I felt some lift off. 

it’s a reminder to me: no matter my headspace or what the set list looks like:  when the band is playing well, it doesn’t matter what the set list looks like. I had a blast in Asheville!

Thanks DSO!

• Like (+1) 3
  • Forum MVP
2 hours ago, LangeradoSoul said:

Im at a place where I’m less enthused by 1976-1978 setlists, so when I arrived & saw the set up and the Travis bean, I was a little bit let down (while also absolutely loving that Travis Bean tone, FYI). 

I decided to make the most of it, trying to place the show. When I head the Bertha>good lovin, I knew it wasn’t 76.

When the three slow songs happened in the first set, I realized it had to be 1978. Why they ever needed three slow songs back to back, I don’t know, but DSO played them like consummate professionals. 

Eaton won me over with his slide guitar all night, and Barraco was playing really well. At set break I figured out it was 9/16/78, and wondered how the second set would actually go.

it went fantastic! The energy grew and bounced between a great crowd and the band and it is in those moments I felt some lift off. 

it’s a reminder to me: no matter my headspace or what the set list looks like:  when the band is playing well, it doesn’t matter what the set list looks like. I had a blast in Asheville!

Thanks DSO!

back in the day when I was taking dead novices and dso virgins to shows, I really wanted them to play this era. Now I’d rather hear dso do originals, mid to late 80’s or old school.  Most of my my friends now listen to dead at least in a rotation. They did that 69 at Louisville several years ago and it was a buddys 1sr show. I was worried but he thought it was the greatest thing ever. He was using big boy Pete lyrics that week and I’m like what’s that from. He’s like we heard it in Louisville. Note he likes to go big on getting a buzz on so that era was kind to him that night lol. 
I got a forty-five to keep me alive
Seven bullets on my side

• Like (+1) 2
  • Forum MVP
22 hours ago, Rude said:

back in the day when I was taking dead novices and dso virgins to shows, I really wanted them to play this era. Now I’d rather hear dso do originals, mid to late 80’s or old school.  Most of my my friends now listen to dead at least in a rotation. They did that 69 at Louisville several years ago and it was a buddys 1sr show. I was worried but he thought it was the greatest thing ever. He was using big boy Pete lyrics that week and I’m like what’s that from. He’s like we heard it in Louisville. Note he likes to go big on getting a buzz on so that era was kind to him that night lol. 
I got a forty-five to keep me alive
Seven bullets on my side

I have a friend who got a BBP at his first two shows. 2nd being that Louisville show, 1st was early set from Cleveland HOB a year or two before. I told him he had to be the only person in history with multiple shows and 100% Big Boy Pete exposure 🤣

• LMAO 1