New website with Dead shows and song stats

count2

So I have this little project that I've been working on for quite a while now - 6 years? I think it's ready to share with the world, or at least the Deadhead subset of the world.

This started out with the thought - why is there no modern, searchable online database of GD shows? Eventually, since this is the sort of thing that I do for a living, that thought grew into "I could do that, but do I really want to?" It was a huge undertaking, and over the years it got shelved several times. About a year ago I found myself telling @John A about it, and it is in large part because of doing so that the project eventually got to this point. Several folks here on the forums have seen this, but I owe a huge thanks to John in particular for his contributions to the data, and his infectious enthusiasm for all of these Grateful Dead stats and details.

The site isn't complete, and probably never will be, but it's time to get it out there, to see if anybody actually uses it. If it gets discovered and has enough people visiting, I'll keep paying for the hosting... but if not, it might not last. So I hope some of you will check it out, pass it around, and have some fun with it.

https://www.gratefulsets.net/

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 3

• Forum MVP

Thanks for the kind words, Chris.  

I must say, this project is all that.  While the concept of this might have been something I'd have expected to come together many years ago, it never did, not even in a remote shadow of what Grateful Sets currently is. It's everything one could have expected of DeadBase should DeadBase have been born in the modern technological world. Just an overall damned impressive effort, and I'm proud to be even a tangential part of it. 

As an example of its power, I recently was wondering about a full accounting of Fire On The Mountain performances without Scarlet played at the show.  Well, I quick little search easily uncovers there were 12 instances of a Fire and no Scarlet. A few are famous, like the Egypt performance out of Ollin Arageed, the Radio City version out of space that ended up on Dead Set (and at all of 6 min 30 sec perhaps "infamous" is more apt), and the '91 Boston show where Jerry supposedly said to Hornsby before Help on the Way to "pay attention" only to launch from Slipknot! -> Fire.  Others are downright cool, like the '85 show in Ventura that opened with Saturday Night -> Fire and the '86 Greek 2nd set opener.  And then there's the 3 iterations of Hell in a Bucket -> Fire - maybe not the best transition. But in any event, where else could someone so readily generate that data?  Nowhere! 

👏

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

• Forum MVP

One other comment on the site itself - while Chris has tweaked it to be perfectly sufficient on mobile platforms, it deserves the respect of a computer / tablet to get the full gist of how useful, while remaining deceptively simple, the page layouts are.

2 hours ago, Ammagamalin Crew said:

Wondering why the 87 Compton Terrace show is left out of the venues section? That was a nice show after RR>Telluride and right before the Park West experiments. 

I sent you a message in your contact part to help with filling the gaps〽️

So you might have found a bug with my contact page, because I didn't receive anything there. But I just made a change if you wanted to try that again, or you can PM me here on the forums. I'll certainly research, and if needed, correct, anything that folks point out that might be missing or incorrect. Some eras have been more heavily researched than others and it would be fair to say that not everything is 100% perfect.

You are actually the second person to ask me about Compton Terrace. Because the venues are organized by city, and this venue moved from Tempe to Chandler, there are actually two separate venues.

https://www.gratefulsets.net/loc/AZ/Tempe/ComptonTerrace

https://www.gratefulsets.net/loc/AZ/Chandler/ComptonTerrace

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Brian NJ said:

Nice site! I am just wondering did you use Oracle code for your search parameters? I had no idea about doing something like this 20 years ago.

The programming is done in PHP, and the database is MySQL which is a free, open source database that is owned by Oracle. This combination is probably behind more than half of the sites on the internet, including these forums.

I think it's safe to say that this site wouldn't have been possible 20 years ago! A lot has changed with what can be done in a web browser. My first experience with Oracle in the late 90s was on a computer the size of a refrigerator.

• Forum MVP

The GDP ticket states:

Compton Terrace Firebird Lake- Tempe, AZ

Tuesday - AUG. 18, 1987

7:30PM RAIN OR SHINE

Est. Price......$14.55

Tax..................    .95

I.O. & I.F.             .50

Total.......       $16.00

Please, no cans, bottles, alcohol or video equipment.

Tickets probably printed and shipped before the change 

• Forum MVP

Yep,deadbase has Chandler. I just remember it being a big field with the reserved seating in front and some kinda barrier keeping us GA folks behind the front section. Not much of any structures built up. I was chasing 87 like it was 85, thinking something big was waiting for this show following Telluride. Terrapin was big and then after the space Fantasy and I was ready to head up to Park West for the rail. I did summer school in Tempe at ASU that's why I always thought of this show as T. Thanks for bringing your project online and making it available for all. Incredible work 

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/19/2023 at 11:50 AM, count2 said:

The programming is done in PHP, and the database is MySQL which is a free, open source database that is owned by Oracle. This combination is probably behind more than half of the sites on the internet, including these forums.

I think it's safe to say that this site wouldn't have been possible 20 years ago! A lot has changed with what can be done in a web browser. My first experience with Oracle in the late 90s was on a computer the size of a refrigerator.

Technology was absolutely available 20-25 years ago. I would have loaded data into a flex grid and written the code in Oracle using sql which would give you endless parameters to search by. Oracle at the time was the premiere relational database. By 2001 this could be done on a laptop.

• Forum MVP

The January 1987 Stone Jerry Garcia Band shows were $10.00. Saturday and Sunday nights right before the Chinese New Year's series.

Only me and one other friend from our "Big Events" crew decided to come out a few days early for these ridiculously intimate Jerry shows.

Jerry entered the venue through the front door while we were all waiting in line to get in. A big white car pulled up and Jerry hoped out, waving to everyone, as he went in the front door ahead of us. The band, with Gloria and Jackie, took up as much room in the Stone as the audience😜. Two sets,  $10.00 each night. . I believe the Lawlor Center in Reno in February 87 was $13.00 and gas was under a $1.00/gal (just needed to transport across the desert and back). Wiltern Friday the 13th and Saturday 3/14/87 were $15.00, prices were creeping up!

• Like (+1) 1

• Forum MVP

Concert tix prices took the first leap, and when I  decided not to buy them,  in 1980 when Fleetwood Mac was asking $15.00 because of their Rumors album tour (that was double the normal $7.50 Led Zeppelin cost) then the Stones took it to an even more ridiculous level asking $25.00, but the true evil came with the Eagles, When Hell Freezes Over shows, asking the unimaginable, criminal $125.00. 😉

Telluride two day tickets were $40.00. 2pm showtimes for "special guests". I believe it was about 420 when the dead took the stage