interesting Hunter anecdote re: Terrapin

John A

• Forum MVP

Found what I thought was a cool little Hunter quote in an interview I stumbled upon regarding Terrapin Station. He lamented that he hated the record because of all the over produced strings and what not that were added without the band's knowledge after the fact. 

But he went on to say “I love the song, and the first time they played it Bill Graham was standing next to me on the side of the stage, and he looked at me and asked, ‘You write that?’ I said, ‘Yeah.’ And he nodded and went, ‘Pretty good.’  Coming from Bill Graham, that was incredibly high praise.”

Cool little exchange!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

• Forum MVP

nspiration, move me brightly
Light the song with sense and color
Hold away despair
More than this I will not ask
Faced with mysteries dark and vast
Statements just seem vain at last

I don’t know if this was hunters intent, likely not, but this line makes me think the narrator just dosed. This pretty perfectly describes a heavy dose coming on. 

• Like (+1) 1

• Forum MVP

It's always felt like vision to me.  The weird thing is that when I first really listened to it, I felt like I'd heard vestiges of it years and years before - like when I was a young child.  Almost like a nursery rhyme - very strange.  It's trying to speak a universal truth but part of the answer is hidden from you and you just have to piece the rest together for yourself.  

Clear as mud, right?  

• Forum MVP

Yes Tea…I totally get you…I love the moments in life when things we’ve never seen will seem familiar…

Peculiar glimpses into something difficult to put words on…happens a lot within the Grateful Dead experience, thank goodness 😉

• Like (+1) 2

• Forum MVP

Back in the day, my roommate told me he and his buddies were listening to Terrapin and his buddies dad popped his head in the room and asked what they were listening to. Dad told them it was some orchestra or some classic piece of music. He had recognized it through the walls. That’s all I got.