My Humble Suggestion To Phil And Bob

neutrino

Start thinking of your band as a group of six equals. Let each one realize their full potential by letting them do what they do best. They are all amazing musicians, and it was a stroke of genius to get them all together. Maybe the way to start this process is to make a few changes on the Furthur website when listing the band members. How about:

Jeff Chimenti, John Kadlecik, Jay Lane, Phil Lesh, Joe Russo, Bob Weir

It's called alphabetic order, and has been used successfully for centuries. Sorry, but you'll also have to use the same font type and size.

I know it might be tough to check your egos and think of yourselves as members of a band of equals, rather than the two leaders (or perhaps one) with a group of sidemen. However, it would really allow this band to achieve it's full potential. Why is John being muzzled, and instead having Bobby bark out songs that simply are vocally inferior? Is it punishment for John getting such a great reaction when he sings a Jerry Garcia song the way it was meant to be sung by its originators? If so, that is pretty damn petty. Maybe I'm misreading this all, but it's sure how it appears to me. Trust me, it would not be a bad move to let John sing some slow Garcia/Hunter ballads.

Maybe Furthur will eventually in the way I would love to see. However, it still looks like PhilBobby and friends to me. No doubt in my mind this is the finest post-Jerry project by Phil or Bobby, but that is strictly because of the other amazing talents who were brought in. It could be much more if there is an attitude adjustment by the senior staff.

JMO

Guest crazy digits
Start thinking of your band as a group of six equals. Let each one realize their full potential by letting them do what they do best. They are all amazing musicians, and it was a stroke of genius to get them all together. Maybe the way to start this process is to make a few changes on the Furthur website when listing the band members. How about:

It's called alphabetic order, and has been used successfully for centuries. Sorry, but you'll also have to use the same font type and size.

I know it might be tough to check your egos and think of yourselves as members of a band of equals, rather than the two leaders (or perhaps one) with a group of sidemen. However, it would really allow this band to achieve it's full potential. Why is John being muzzled, and instead having Bobby bark out songs that simply are vocally inferior? Is it punishment for John getting such a great reaction when he sings a Jerry Garcia song the way it was meant to be sung by its originators? If so, that is pretty damn petty. Maybe I'm misreading this all, but it's sure how it appears to me. Trust me, it would not be a bad move to let John sing some slow Garcia/Hunter ballads.

Maybe Furthur will eventually in the way I would love to see. However, it still looks like PhilBobby and friends to me. No doubt in my mind this is the finest post-Jerry project by Phil or Bobby, but that is strictly because of the other amazing talents who were brought in. It could be much more if there is an attitude adjustment by the senior staff.

JMO

Yeah, some good ideas...just got an email from jambase about tix going on sale for furthur. Bobby and Phils face cover the entire page......maybe they were both beat up when they were little...something has to contribute to this incredible ego they have..maybe they both realize they are past their prime and basically suck......Oh, I can't believe I just said that..please scratch the last comment as I am forgetting how to erase anything I am writing..sorry to all who are insulted by my remarks...

Could this be an evil plot to prevent DSO from becoming bigger than they are........................?

Well, that's previously been suggested. It's kind of curious that Phil never had a good thing to say about DSO, yet all of a sudden he's going an poaching their lead guitarist. Kind of doubt it was an intentional plot, but I wouldn't rule it out. I'd guess it more like Bobby finally convinced Phil to give DSO a listen. Phil was blown away by what he heard and thought, "Hey, I could USE this guy in my band!!!" He's probably now convinced it was all his idea. LOL!!!!!!!!!

• Forum MVP

If this is, indeed, a last ditch effort to make a little more money off their names, then Bob and Phil need to have their names headlined, (with some other people playing behind them.) It's just bonus that they actually found some good players to back them.

Or, it could really be about the music, and they know that people will come to see the good music, no matter who is producing it.

Or, it could be somewhere in between there................

• Forum MVP

Or, it could really be about the music, and they know that people will come to see the good music, no matter who is producing it.

definitely... money obviously comes with it... but this is what they do. Bob has said he wants to play this music as long as he possibly can as Phil has. To suggest another motive is a little diabolical..

• Forum MVP

Some of you people need to get a hobby... really..

JK will get his just due in terms of "singing Jerry songs" ... which seems to be such a panty buncher for some of you...

If it's about the money..... well then you savior JK is in on it as well... plus less nights on the road, etc..ever think of that ? ..

• Forum MVP

JMO

I really try to stay out of these discussions, neutrino I respect your opinion, but can we for a moment remember who you're talking about? Phil Lesh and Bob Weir, please give them the respect they deserve as ORIGINAL MEMBERS OF THE GRATEFUL DEAD.....let me say that again THE GRATEFUL DEAD, the originators of the music that brought us all together in the first place. My love for DSO and John on his own is evident, but please, alphabetic order, same font size, come on, do you have any idea what it takes financially to put on events like these? I beg you to come to terms with it, Furthur is Phil and Bob's band, I'm sure Jay, John, Jeff, and Joe appreciate the exposure, the paycheck, and the ability to play with Phil Lesh and Bob Weir of THE GRATEFUL DEAD. How many of us would switch shoes with them in a heartbeat? They're living the dream a Deadhead can only see when his head hits the pillow. Maybe the reason why Phil and Bob chose to sing Jerry songs is out of love and respect for a dear friend whom they shared so many nights with. Maybe it's their tribute to him, would I rather hear John sing the Jerry tunes, of course, but I guess that's why I chose to see DSO over any other band and will continue to do so for as long as they play.

I really try to stay out of these discussions, neutrino I respect your opinion, but can we for a moment remember who you're talking about? Phil Lesh and Bob Weir, please give them the respect they deserve as ORIGINAL MEMBERS OF THE GRATEFUL DEAD.....let me say that again THE GRATEFUL DEAD, the originators of the music that brought us all together in the first place. My love for DSO and John on his own is evident, but please, alphabetic order, same font size, come on, do you have any idea what it takes financially to put on events like these? I beg you to come to terms with it, Furthur is Phil and Bob's band, I'm sure Jay, John, Jeff, and Joe appreciate the exposure, the paycheck, and the ability to play with Phil Lesh and Bob Weir of THE GRATEFUL DEAD. How many of us would switch shoes with them in a heartbeat? They're living the dream a Deadhead can only see when his head hits the pillow. Maybe the reason why Phil and Bob chose to sing Jerry songs is out of love and respect for a dear friend whom they shared so many nights with. Maybe it's their tribute to him, would I rather hear John sing the Jerry tunes, of course, but I guess that's why I chose to see DSO over any other band and will continue to do so for as long as they play.

Hey looky,

I certainly respect your opinion too. It's just that this Furthur deal is a bit different than, say, The Dead tour of this past year. Warren and Jeff were treated more as equal member of a band of brothers. It wasn't The Core Four + a couple of other friends. Hell, they even all got to go into the Oval Office and meet Obama! I'm not sure that would happen with this band. I'm not an insider, so I can't say why Mickey and Billy are not with this current band. However, the grapevine says that Phil has become a bit of a tryrant, and the earlier attitude of a band of brothers is over. Yes, this is Phil and Bob's band (maybe really Phil's band). Yes, they were members of the original Grateful Dead, and this deserves a lot of respect. However, the reason this band is working much better than any previous versions of The Dead, The Other Ones, P&F, or Ratdog is not because Phil and Bob have suddenly remembered how to play like they used to. It's because they got four other really talented people to help them out. To be honest, I think it was a good choice for them in a musical sense to get the new drummers. Mickey and Billy are also members of the original GD, and this deserves respect. However, the addition of the new young guys on percussion has given this band a new spark. It not a matter of lack of respect for the original drummers on my end. It's a matter of what works and what doesn't, and giving the people who are making it work their due.

Hope that explains a little better my qualms about Furthur. You are of course free to disagree. I was delighted when Furthur first came about. However, I won't hide the fact that I'm completely bummed that it has turned out to be the end of JK's involvement with DSO. The DSO I saw last time at the Fillmore absolutely blew Furthur out of the water. Is is disrespectul to say that Rob Eaton today is playing much better than Bob Weir? I don't think so. I'm just stating my honest opinion.

Peace

• Forum MVP
How many of us would switch shoes with them in a heartbeat?

Touring music is hard freakin work and no less so as the venues grow larger. I have not coveted that job since I was in high school. Therfore it is poor form to insult those who deadicate their lives to touring this music around in its various honest forms for people like us to enjoy and criticize. Have opinions but sheesh people if I hear another one of you insult Bobby and Phil for what you presume to be their huge egos (like as if one could do that job without a huge ego!!) I'm gonna come over there and give you a purple nurple.

JK will get his just due in terms of "singing Jerry songs" ... which seems to be such a panty buncher for some of you...

:cheers:

I really try to stay out of these discussions, neutrino I respect your opinion, but can we for a moment remember who you're talking about? Phil Lesh and Bob Weir, please give them the respect they deserve as ORIGINAL MEMBERS OF THE GRATEFUL DEAD.....let me say that again THE GRATEFUL DEAD, the originators of the music that brought us all together in the first place. My love for DSO and John on his own is evident, but please, alphabetic order, same font size, come on, do you have any idea what it takes financially to put on events like these? ........ Furthur is Phil and Bob's band, I'm sure Jay, John, Jeff, and Joe appreciate the exposure, the paycheck, and the ability to play with Phil Lesh and Bob Weir of THE GRATEFUL DEAD. How many of us would switch shoes with them in a heartbeat? They're living the dream a Deadhead can only see when his head hits the pillow. Maybe the reason why Phil and Bob chose to sing Jerry songs is out of love and respect for a dear friend whom they shared so many nights with. Maybe it's their tribute to him...

HERE, fucking HERE....lest i repeat this sentiment infanitum!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, that's previously been suggested.

Yes, it was that evil and charasmatic Phil Lesh, one of the greatest criminal minds of modern times, deep in his lair when he came up with the perfect plan on how he could once and for all squash that pesky dark star orchestra.

i'm so sure.

:rofl:

All this devisive conspiracy-theory garbage is highly depressing.

I just think it's cool that Phil and Bobby finally seem to be learning how to get along with each other without Jerry and his enormous personality around to mediate. I never met him but he was clearly a huge influence on everyone who did, especially his musical brothers. JK does a great job of emulating him musically, so it's no surprise that the band fits together like puzzle pieces around him.

DSO and tribute bands will be around for a long time to keep the Grateful Dead's music alive - Phil and Bobby will only be here for a limited time.

• Forum MVP

Yes and I heard that Phil Lesh is going to star in the new Batman movie...

Batman vs. Phil Lesh..... "The quest to save and/or destroy Dark Star Orchestra" (depending which side you are cheering for)

Yes, it was that evil and charasmatic Phil Lesh, one of the greatest criminal minds of modern times, deep in his lair when he came up with the perfect plan on how he could once and for all squash that pesky dark star orchestra.

i'm so sure.

:rofl:

• Forum MVP
All this devisive conspiracy-theory garbage is highly depressing.

I just think it's cool that Phil and Bobby finally seem to be learning how to get along with each other without Jerry and his enormous personality around to mediate. I never met him but he was clearly a huge influence on everyone who did, especially his musical brothers. JK does a great job of emulating him musically, so it's no surprise that the band fits together like puzzle pieces around him.

DSO and tribute bands will be around for a long time to keep the Grateful Dead's music alive - Phil and Bobby will only be here for a limited time.

Indeed, not to mention JK has that nice aura to him as Jerry did.

• Forum MVP
Yes and I heard that Phil Lesh is going to star in the new Batman movie...

Batman vs. Phil Lesh..... "The quest to save and/or destroy Dark Star Orchestra" (depending which side you are cheering for)

LOL!!! I'm on team DSO ;)

looking at the set lists as of late I have to say I am very shocked and happy to see tunes like doin that rag brought back! JK seems to be gettin more mic time than the first Oakland shows. I have a good feeling that this band WILL live up to it's name FURTHUR!!!

I'm just happy it's still going but I'm thrilled it's going Furthur!

Archived