Is There Any Chance At All?

anddave

• Forum MVP

Looking forward to midwest Feb tour!!

Is there any chance at all DSO might ever perform any of these shows?

(for those of you already familiar with this request - ssshhhhhhhh!)

04-05-88 Hartford Civic Center, Hartford, Ct.

04-15-88 Rosemont Horizon, Rosemont, Il.

04-22-88 Irvine Meadows Amphitheatre, Irvine, Ca.

05-01-88 Frost Amphitheatre, Stanford U., Palo Alto, Ca.

09-20-88 Madison Square Garden, New York, N.Y.

04-09-89 Freedom Hall, Louisville, Ky.

• Forum MVP

louie

• Forum MVP

Yep! They will play one of those shows 2-13 in Columbus. Book it :lol:

• Advisory Board
Maybe the Caveman could rewrite the song just for KDub, like he did for Dino. All that would be left would be re-writing Esau for Herdy. Then the circle would be complete. :blush:

Now that might be a version of Esau I would enjoy... lol

• Forum MVP
Yep! They will play one of those shows 2-13 in Columbus. Book it :lol:

:D Even if it happened in CBus and I missed it I would still be happy it happened because it would be true to the premise, which has been my case for it all along.

Rob Eaton .... Please throw our brother a bone and hook him up with one of these shows in Indy. If you could work this out for him it would be AMAZING. Thanks

There we go. With KDub's support, it's a shoe-in!!

Guest Rob Eaton

Not to rain on any parade here but the criteria for what we play is complex and often times nearly impossible.... Let me just say we try not to repeat eras when we return to a market if the stage size permits. I would look over the Ed base and see what is due.... I have to look at a tour on the whole and not one show in particular. Please don't take it personally if you don't get what you want.... I take into account things I read and consider them if the stats permit..... Just ask our friend in St. Louis!

Peace

• Forum MVP

Louie, Louie has got to have some serious personal significance and sentimental value.

I would understand someone begging for Lonesome and Long way or Positively 4th Street or some other monster song but Louie, Louie?

I think if Anddave told us the long, complex and emotional story behind why he wants to hear this frat song so badly, Eaton might be even more inclined to see if he can make it happen--if all the other stuff that has to be in place is in place and the stars are aligned and all that.

It's not like you can't love that song for that song's sake and the last thing I want to do is criticize a song that may be beloved to you solely based on the music, but there has GOT to be more to the story, and I think it's time for that story to come out.

• Forum MVP

THANKS ROB! I am a careful studier of your setlisting and please know that I dig and appreciate your efforts and will never take personally the absence of Louie. I know you have many variables to coordinate.

As for the story, I've posted it before but it's been a looooooooooong time. Waaaaay back before my (in)famous dislocated shoulder incident. Anyway, it's quite short. I am a late boarder on the bus having seen my first GD show on 4/9/89 which was the last Louie. As for the fratboy roots of the tune, I think Brent's rendition of it, especially on 4/9/89, is a whole other song. Surely no monster but totally fair game according to the premise and not to be confused with whatever shook the booties at your local fratbar.

Not to rain on any parade here but the criteria for what we play is complex and often times nearly impossible.... Let me just say we try not to repeat eras when we return to a market if the stage size permits. I would look over the Ed base and see what is due.... I have to look at a tour on the whole and not one show in particular. Please don't take it personally if you don't get what you want.... I take into account things I read and consider them if the stats permit..... Just ask our friend in St. Louis!

Peace

Well, it looks like the Egyptian Theater has seen an 81 show, 3 electives, and an 82 show. A smokin' late 80's show wouldn't hurt, would it? Besides, who wouldn't wanna see Rob Barraco doing his best Bluto impersonation?

Sorry Dave, that probably doesn't help.

Winter tour book is done. Might be hard for Rob to squeeze it in especially if songs on the setlist matches next or previous night's setlist. Maybe, just maybe, the band decides to make it an elective night and grants your wish. We will never know until Indy. See you then.

Guest Rob Eaton

Actually I look at the city and not just the venue.... so it would look more like this:

2/21/09 3/10/81

2/10/08 7/18/89 Music Mill

1/31/07 Elective Music Mill

9/16/84 7/31/84 Music Mill

1/24/06 12/15/78 Music Mill

Guest Rob Eaton

Ah but then you have to take into account how the tour is plotted. What are we do for on tour, what was the show before and what will be the next show. As you can see it's not one thing but many that determine what we play and when!

Ah but then you have to take into account how the tour is plotted. What are we do for on tour, what was the show before and what will be the next show. As you can see it's not one thing but many that determine what we play and when!

definitely appreciate all the thought that goes into it...

curious, too, maybe a word on YOUR thoughts regarding Stu playin' with y'all out west???

Can you tell me the whole tour so I can stay home?

With respect to the early midwest dates of the Winter Tour, keep in mind the variable of impending paternity leave for STL's own (or formerly STL's Own?) Vortex..

Chances are that at least a handful of successive show's will be one drummer shows..Unless there is a contingency in place for a sub drummer (doubtful me thinks)..I certainly can't remember a string of one drummer shows back to back and I think it will be awesome..Barraco mentioned the Europe 72 possibility in an interview but not sure if conception made it to fruitiion...with respect to Tour planning..

This would possibly have an impact on both St. Louis and Indy..(Dino's absence)

Having attended I think, all the St. Louis shows since a 76 Detroit show at the now shuttered Mississipi Nights...Show selection always fascinates me and Is such a big part of the fun..

Admittedly a 70's snob...Uptown Theater Residency from 78 to the 81...I've enjoyed all the shows..

The Alpine Valley late 80's show at the Pagaent a few years back was the best show DSO has done that I have seen and like I said i'm a 70's guy...A very close second was the recreation of my first Dead show which was at the Uptown Theater January of 78..Done at the Granada in Lawrence in January of 2002..I remember running into Scott Larned at the local record store in Lawerence during the day..what a great day..

Like Ice Cream it's all good...My favorite all time show the Grateful Dead has ever performed is Dekalb October 77...

My STL DSO history would reflect no 77 show recreation ito date...(would you like some cheese with that whine)...Althoug DSO has recreated that one a few times...My guess..they think it's a killer as well..

If 77 or 72 is not in the mix.....a St. Louis themed filler Black Throated Wind > Big River > Black Muddy River..would blow the roof off the Joint!!!!!!

Archived